Reviva Labs Hyaluronic Acid Serum

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Reviva Labs Hyaluronic Acid Serum

3.5

Not tested on animals
Reviva Labs is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Demineralized spring water, glycerine (veg.), hyaluronic acid, polysorbate 20, hydrolyzed mucopolysaccharides, green tea extract, hydroxyethylcellulose, simethicone, carmelized sugar, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, citric acid.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought the Oz Naturals version of HA on Amazon for $21. IMO, not worth the $21 I paid for it. Save up $21 a month for 6 months and go to a medical spa to get a peel or radio frequency treatments. I used it for 3 months and finally gave up. It is a thin, watery solution that when applied, feels like egg whites drying on the face. It made my skin actually look dryer than before so I always followed it with a moisturizer. It is NOT, as its advertising touts, "a face lift in a bottle". It does make your face feel tighter but that is only temporary and due to the properties which are similar to applying an egg white to your face. I am 55 years old and even though I do everything humanly possible (outside of seeing a cosmetic surgeon) to protect my skin and keep it young looking, I am showing the typical signs of aging for a woman my age. I have crows feet when I smile, dark spots on the cheeks, large pores, deep smile lines (AKA marionettes) and a deep worry crease between my eyebrows, and lately notice the beginnings of "festoons" (bags under your eye circles---yuk). I keep trying liquids and creams, hoping to avoid needles and scalpels but, the time has come to face reality: either go under the knife or needle or just learn to accept my changing reflection in the mirror as a sign of "wisdom" and diminishing sands in the hourglass of life.

on 7/19/2016 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought a 1fl oz bottle at a local health foods store for around $20. This serum is clear and is quite watery in consistency. There's no noticeable scent. It's not sticky or greasy.

The product comes in a clear glass bottle with a pump. At first I was weary about that. I'd prefer if it came in a dark-tinted container to preserve the anti-oxidizing element of the green tea contained in this serum. However, I just keep it stored out of direct light (in a medicine cabinet would be great if you have one) and it's fine.

Here is the ingredients list on the back of my bottle and on the Reviva Labs website: Purified Water, Hyaluronic Acid, Carbomer, Green Tea Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.

On the Ulta website the ingredients list is: Demineralized Spring Water, Glycerine (Veg.), Hyaluronic Acid, Polysorbate 20, Hydrolyzed Mucopolysaccharides, Green Tea Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Simethicone, Caramelized Sugar, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate And Citric Acid.

Perhaps it was recently reformulated. This is something to be aware of if you're shopping online... what's actually in the bottle could be different than what you're expecting based on the ingredients list provided by the website. I'd purchase this in-store so you know exactly what you're getting, if you have a preference. I favor the top ingredients list more, especially since the bottom one contains "Simethicone." Simethicone is an anti-gas and anti-bloating agent found in products such as Gas-X. So unless it's a typo and they actually meant dimethicone, I don't know why they'd have that in there. Maybe to prevent the serum from foaming up when it's dispensed? What do I know?

Anyways... what got me interested in trying hyaluronic acid in my regimen is the fact that it's a very strong humectant (moisture-binding substance.) This stuff pulls moisture in from the air, so your skin will be hydrated and in theory appear younger-looking.

Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring carbohydrate in the human body and can be found in skin and connective tissue. It strengthens the outer layers of skin and provides antioxidant defense against free-radical damage, in addition to reducing inflammation. I've heard that it can help reduce acne scarring as well. It can also be used to treat burns, ulcers, and wounds (I wouldn't use this serum for any of those purposes, I just found the reported healing properties interesting.)

All of that sounded great. I've been incorporating this serum into my routine morning and night for around a month now. I apply one pump after cleansing and toning and spread it all over my face. Honestly, I haven't noticed any visible changes in fine lines or scarring. The first few days I used this I experienced a minor breakout, but that cleared up quickly and my skin has looked great ever since.

I really do love the way this stuff makes my skin feel.... it's moisturized and even feels somewhat tighter. I've heard some compare this to botox in a bottle. I wouldn't go that far at all but I can tell what they're talking about to a much more minor extent. I haven't had any problems personally with how it wears underneath makeup, but I put other products (moisturizer, sunscreen, and primer) over the top of this serum before going in with foundation/concealer.

If you're looking for a miracle product... in my experience, this isn't it. However, if you're looking for something that will benefit your skin even if you can't see dramatic results, then I'd recommend checking this out. I enjoy having it as a part of my skincare routine and will probably repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It seems that this has some form of silicone in it as a filler ingredient, and to me that causes skin issues with some people, or for it to react with other products. I would only use this at night as a serum. It does work to plump up your skin, but Ulta charges $22 for it when I've seen it online for $11. That's too steep for such a small bottle. Derma E has a hyaluronic acid serum that I want to try instead, and their brand is organic as far as I can tell.

I was recommended hyaluronic acid by fellow MUA'ers when I was looking for something to help with dry flakey skin and so I opted for the Reviva because of the excellent reviews and fair price. It has really helped improved my skin; used along with acne treatments (BP or Differin) it prevents my skin from getting dry and flakey which I had problems with prior to using the serum. The texture of my skin also seems to have improved and is now much smoother and better hydrated.