Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Face Powder

Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Face Powder
Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Face PowderMineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Face PowderMineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Face PowderMineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Face PowderMineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Face Powder

3.9

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 6.0%, Zinc Oxide 4.2% Ingredients: Mica,Squalane, Silica, Boron Nitride, Lauroyl Lysine, Kaolin, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain: Iron Oxides, Ultramarines

I really like this product, but give it mixed reviews.

First, my rants.

1) I hate the fact that this product is marbled in the compact. The theory is that by swirling the brush over the product, you mix a light and dark shade and come out somewhere in the middle. The problem with this is that it makes it nearly impossible to tell if the shade is going to work for you by looking at the compact. I wish they'd just pre-blend the powder instead of giving it that cutesy, marbled finish. Yes, it looks nice, but it's very impractical.

2) The shade selection is nothing short of awful. It's available in Translucent, Beige, and Bronze. I got lucky when I purchased Beige because it turned out to be a nearly perfect match for me. I'm a MAC NC35 and the shade was just a teensy bit dark, but it actually gives my skin a very slight tan look which is ok for me. It looks very natural so I have no complaints.

Now, for the raves. Mineral Wear applied very smoothly and even and did a great job of evening out my blotchy skin tone. It covered my red patches and my slight melasma beautifully and gave my skin a beautiful, even toned look. It's easy to apply with the enclosed brush, but I prefer a kabuki brush for more even application and control. The enclosed brush is fine for touch-ups, though. I've been wearing this for a few days now and haven't noticed any breakouts. The color stays true and doesn't turn orangey or shiny on me after a few hours of wear, either. I didn't notice it accentuating my pores, either. It actually made mine look less obvious. All in all, it's not a bad drugstore foundation. I thought it was a bit steep at $13, but I'm really pleased with the product so I don't mind shelling out the money for it. A definite repurchase for me.

on 3/10/2005 10:05:00 AM

I was excited to see mineral powder finally hit the drugstore. I have had great success with BE foundation, but thefinish is slightly to shiny for my t-zone, especially during the summer. I tries mineral veil, but it didn't really impress me. I picked this up at CVS for about $11-12USD in light and bronze. I love that it's matte & and evens out my skin tone. It's a pressed powder, not foundation so it's not meant to give a lot of coverage, which is fine for what I need. It keeps my forehead from shining without touch ups all day. You need a light hand, otherwise you will pick up too much powder.
It has not broken me out or clogged pores. I will definitely keep using this.
The only mini complaint I have is the price. It is pretty pricey for a drugstore item, but still a good value compared to dept. store prices.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I was really surprised at how well this works. My pores disappeared. It gives good coverage (like all mineral powders you need to use a light hand). And its not shiny. I really love it. I'm not sure if this is "pure" minerals, but I haven't broken out. Definitley give it a try.

on 3/15/2005 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I agree with the reviews below that this is a little pricey for drugstore powder but this time I don't mind because it looks great on my face. I've ordered various "minerals" products in the past and invariably been disappointed. This is the finish I've been hoping for. I've been applying with a powder puff and you really do need to go easy because it picks up a load of powder. The finish is kind of velvety and really covers most anything. I didn't notice a shiny forehead five hours later, either. Only three shades leave a lot to be desired but, fortunately, the beige was a perfect match for me. I paid $12.95 and will be looking for it to go on sale so I can stock up. This is the prettiest result I've found in years. (Which naturally means they'll discontinue it next week!).

on 3/16/2005 6:04:00 PM

I got beige, and it is a bit dark. I should have got transluscent instead. However, sometimes my pallor looks like death, so beige could be an ok pick- me-up. Great coverage.

I bought this in translucent and really like it. Nice color, evens out my reddish areas, but I found it tricky to apply right. Using a powder brush (my regular one or the enclosed one) didn't work for me on this because although finely milled it's not as "powdery" as most powders. It didn't cover my pores enough.

So I used the flat sponge from my powder foundation and it works well...
UPDATE: This made me break out in tiny pimples. Went away when I stopped using it. Sigh. Back to my CG Simply Powder Foundation. I can't believe a mineral powder made me break out!!!

on 4/12/2005 3:36:00 PM

I think this is a pretty good drugstore powder. I bought this on a whim since lately I've been really into PF products. The older I've gotten the more sensitive my skin has become, so I thought this would be a nice powder since it contains no talc.

I wasn't disappointed. It does go on a bit heavy if you aren't careful. I apply with my Cat Kabuki and haven't had any problems, but I would suspect the little brush they give you might not be the best for application. I got this in translucent and it turns out to be the perfect shade for me (NC30-35). However, I do not use this as my foundation, simply as a setting powder. I apply this over my Tarte SO and it looks beautiful. It might be a tad too light, but beige would be too dark and I'll stick with what I've got. So far I've had no reactions or bumps or even itchies!

I think for the money this is a good product and has exceeded my expectations. I bet this would also look great over the retro glow foundation, which I also have! I'll try it tomorrow! Recommend!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

since i've been using BE, i've been trying to find mineral makeups that come in a pressed powder, since i am the world's hugest klutz and cant apply my BE without getting the powder everywhere. i'd already tried zia pressed mineral powder, and JI amazing pressed base(which turned out to be my fav), and i noticed this in the d/s while i was waiting for a prescription to be filled. astonished that mineral makeup had made it to the drugstore, i (of course) HAD to buy it!!! i was so annoyed that there are only three shades to choose from!!!! who ever heard of such a thing?!? i chose the beige, which is the middle of the 3, since the bronze was way too dark and the lightest shade is labeled as 'translucent.' apparently, from some of the other reviews here, the translucent is actually a lighter shade....(?) either way, this stuff went on smoothly (comparable to my higher-end mmus), but (SURPRISE!!) the color was totally off. the beige was a shade too dark (i am BE 1.2 JI satin, zia quartz for reference), and the PF turned (gasp) the dreaded orange on me!!! yikes!!! back to cvs it goes!!! maybe i will try the 'translucent' (lol, i still find the color names to be amusing in an annoying sort of way) shade.... perhaps it will be light enough for me? who the hell knows. either way, be careful when you buy this stuff...save ALL packaging and your receipts!!!!! **********UPDATE*********
ok, returned the stuff to cvs and bought the 'translucent,' which isn't translucent at all! THIS is the color to get if you're a PPP gal like me! for a drugstore brand, i give THIS color an A++. it's a perfect match for me!!! woohooo!!!! i still havent decided if i like this more than my JI, but damn, Ms. Iredale has certainly gained a healthy competition with this one! i still don't like the fact that there's no SPF, but that's what face lotion is for. :o) continued >>

on 4/18/2005 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have very oily skin, usually some breakouts - I've never tried mineral makeup before, but I left my powder at home and was experiencing lots of shine, so I ended up buying this in "beige." I think it's really awesome -- beige is a smidge (just a smidge) darker than I'd like, but I have a light/medium olive complexion so it's not noticeably dark or anything. It really does give my skin an almost "airbrushed" look. The first day I got it, I liked it so much I kept re-applying it and I think by the end of the day it was a bit to heavy-looking, but with a lighter hand, this is really great. It improves the look of my complexion, probably 40%. Haven't broken out using it (yet.) I don't use the brush that came with it because it kept leaving strands all over my face - and I'm not sure I've found exactly the right application tool (I'm using a big fluffy powder brush - which works well) but I think I'll experiment with a few other tools to see what I like best. All in all though (from someone who wishes she had a smoother complexion) this really does improve the look of my skin.

on 4/20/2005 1:11:00 PM

First off let me say for a drug store brand, imo this is very costly. Ok now as far as the color selection goes, really crappy. I purchased this in Beige thinking it would work for my skin, nope!! I think unless you are more tanned, this would be too dark for you. Even olive skinned girls, I would suggest try the translucent first. I'm assuming it is not necessarily translucent and it is lighter. Again, it may just be my skin type and I'm not really fair I'd say I'm medium. I will try this again in a lighter color and update later. But as another reviewer suggested, hold on to your receipt lol.