AVEDA flax seed aloe strong hold sculpturing gel

No Image

3.8

on 1/1/2018 8:51:00 PM

I have fairly textured, wavy hair that's about chin length (a bob). This is GREAT for giving it a really nice, smooth, but flexible shape. I've never experienced any 'crunchiness' - even when I use too much (when I use too much my hair just looks like it needs to be washed). I dont actually notice the smell, so it's either expected from AVEDA (so I don't notice it), or it goes away after. As long as I keep this hair style I can definitely see myself continue to using this.

on 1/4/2010 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This smells like alcohol and leaves my hair crunchy and sticky. No matter how little I use or how much I scrunch my hair, it will be stiff until I wash it out. For this reason, I would recommend this gel for very short, spiky hair only. It did hold my curls all day, but I didn't like the stiff, sticky feeling. It also seemed to dry out my hair, even though I used a leave-in conditioner with it. Oh, and it also seems to exacerbate frizz! If you're looking for a nice gel for curly hair, I would recommend one of the following instead (depending on your price point): Nexxus Exxtra gel, DevaCurl Angell, Fekkai styling gel.

on 5/5/2008 11:56:00 AM

I'm a 3a/b course, bra-strap length curly and have taken the path of Curly Girl no-shampoo, no silicones. This has a silicone in it but I'm led to believe it's water soluable. I've been using this over a leave-in conditioner for a week now and I've been very pleased - well-defined bouncy curls that have held up well to the dreadful weather we've been having in the noth of the UK. It's not dried my hair out at all, which is good as I have very dry hair, probably due to using a good leave-in. I may repurchase when this is all gone, or I may continue experimenting..........!

on 2/2/2007 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this based on reviews and it doesn't work well for my fine, naturally curly, chemically treated hair. No matter what I pair this with, it leaves my curls feeling exceptionally dry. Wanted to love it, can't stand it. No, I would not repurchase.

on 11/29/2006 2:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I noticed that most of the reviews are from those with curly hair. I don't have curly hair, but this gel (in the spray form) is my HG at the moment - and has been for many months. I've never had a problem with it being "crunchy" - but that could be because of the way I use it. I apply it to very towel-dried hair. I mostly spray it on the roots of my hair then work it through to the ends - then I blow-dry with a huge round brush. It gives my hair great volume and definition...but apart from that I get the most incredible SHINE (and healthy looking hair) from this product. I've never used anything that compares to it in this aspect. Oh...and I have fine, color-treated hair - shoulder length.

I really like this product. The liquid texture makes it easy to put on my hair. The smell is a little strong, but it doesn't linger, and if you like Aveda scents you won't have a problem. It doesn't make my hair as shiny as the Aveda Forming Gel does, but this is a little more affordable. It has a nice hold, but it can be a little crunchy if you goop it on like I do.

I have fine, curly hair. The first time I used the Spray Gel, I sprayed it directly on my hair then "scrunched" it through. Bad move-it gave me crunchy, circa-80s ringlets.

What I've found works is to wait until my hair is damp, then mix the Spray Gel with some Be Curly, then run it through my hair.

Don't think the two are intended to be used together, but if you have fine curly hair but need the hold and control, it's worth a try.

I like herbal smell, too--i've gotten compliments on it!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I got this in a swap, and I was not entirely sure how I would like it, as i do not need 'strong hold' for my wavy/curly hair that is past my shoulders. This morning i washed my hair as i always do, then towel dried, combed it out, then sprayed this all over my head and scrunched a little with the blow dryer, then I twisted little segments around my finger and let it air dry the rest of the morning- i have a frizz free head of shiny defined curls and waves! No crunch, not sticky, not greasy, just wavy controlled hair- the smell did not stay with me after my hair dried, it is not the best Aveda scent, but it is not terrible, still the fresh, herbal smell they are famous for. this is a high-quality spray gel that i would buy after my huge bottle runs out.

on 10/5/2005 10:20:00 PM

Pro: Offers great hold. Con: The scent. This stuff REEKS and the scent doesn't dissipate - I can smell it all day, and I just can't stand it. I'm returning it.

on 8/30/2005 11:44:00 PM

This review is for the pump bottle spray gel.

I have very thick, curly hair (spiral curls). My hair holds its shape pretty well on its own, so I don't like to use something that gives me tons of hold (read: crunchiness). I mostly want something that will help hold the hair that frames my face and prevents frizzies.

Well, this gel does provide a lot of hold, so it prevents frizzies, but it doesn't make my hair crunchy, due, I think, to the fact that you have so much control over how much you use and where it lands on your hair. Also doesn't dull my hair - leaves it looking shiny and healthy. A definite repurchase. continued >>