NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Damned

NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Damned

4.4

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

Feeling Smudge!

This particular shade applies matte, but not at full-opacity, unlike other shades in the line, but actually, that's a plus for me! I have a ton of deep berry magenta lipsticks, but they always come off so pulled-together and polished, and it actually takes MORE effort to achieve that French girl, casually smudged-on look. With this pencil, however, it's simple to get that look! While it's still a deep color, the softness of it makes it easy to pull off a look with je ne sais quoi. It lasts about 4 hours on me, even while drinking from a cup, and if there's any wearing off, it's hard to tell because of that smudginess. The chubby pencil also lends to that slap-dash kind of application. Points off for the cap not being totally reliable, and for the high price.

I really like lip crayons/fat pencils because I don't use a lip brush (I know I should) and it's hard to be precise with the traditional lipstick "bullet," so the packaging gets 4 lippies. Not giving it 5 because it's a pain to have to sharpen it and I feel like I have to do that a lot with this one in particular, but maybe that's because it's one of my favorite lippies in my whole collection.

The reason I decided to drop $26 on this bad boy was the COLOR. It is rich, beautiful and unique. I tend to go for lower end lippies since I don't see much difference in quality between D/S and HE, but I searched high and low for a dupe of Damned and came up empty handed. I finally caved and bought it.

I wish the formula was less drying. I live in a dry climate and if I put it on my bare lips, they are peely and flaking in no time. I have to use lip balm underneath this if I don't want my lips to be a total desert...but of course when I do that it decreases the wear time. I've found that it does the "ring around the mouth" fade so that it's gone everywhere except for the outer edge of my lips. :-/ It lasts longer without the lip balm but still fades in that unattractive way, unfortunately. I feel like it usually lasts about 3-4 hours before I have to reapply.

I'm not crazy about the formula or the price. But it gets 3 lippies just for the color alone. Unless there's a dupe with a better formula and/or lower price out there, I will repurchase this when I run out.

To Read all 34 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/26/2015 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Damned is a gorgeous colour for fall. It is a deep wine-berry shade. The matte formula is comfortable for me i.e. it doesn't peel off of my lips. But I would always wear with balm underneath. I took one lippie off because for the price, I expected more opaque application in one swipe. I'm not a sheer-lip colour type of gal. It definitely can be built up to give a great fall matte pout. It also is not the most long lasting colour. I don't mind reapplying, but again for the price and product wastage when sharpening, I might hesitate to re-purchase.

This is my current favourite lipstick! The colour is beautiful - a cross between wine red and a rich berry that suits my fair skin and dark hair perfectly. It is very easy to apply and has a nice matte finish but I find that I do need to reapply after eating or drinking. It also looks better on moisturised lips so I tend to apply lipbalm before putting it on.

on 2/3/2014 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I might have gotten a bad one or something, but this applies very patchy on me. I know it's not the line itself because I also have this pencil in the shade cruella, so it's pretty weird. But the color is a lovely dark color that compliments my cool, fair skin. I just never end up wearing this because of the patchy application. Such a shame.

on 12/21/2013 3:06:00 PM

Its a gorgeous color - great for for day and night, its a berry tone, but not in your face. I also like that it's in a pencil; with dark colors, it just gives you so much more control so your lipstick isn't all over your face. And its small enough to easily fit in small purse. I like it by itself matte or with a very sheer gloss, but you can also definitely amp it up with a a dark gloss. Sometimes I use it with the CD Dior Addict gloss in Flash (deep purple) and its a super dramatic vampy dark lip for a night out. Even if the gloss wears off, the color underneath lasts all night.

The one thing I will say is that the matte formula can be a bit drying if your lips are prone to being chapped in the wintertime like mine. But problem is easily solved if you put some lip balm on 15 minutes before applying.

on 12/18/2013 1:26:00 PM

I can not live without it!!

on 10/23/2013 1:46:00 PM

Gorgeous, as always. These velvet matte lip pencils are my favorite lip products, period. This one is my go-to for fall. I wear it with Buxom's blush in Shangri-La-La. The best thing about these pencils is that they look so chic and with so little effort, and they barely smudge off, AND it barely feels like you're wearing anything. ONLY complaint is that with this one, I have to put on a lot for it to really pop.

on 9/21/2013 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Damned is going to be my go-to lip color for Fall! I've been looking for a berry/wine lip color for some time now and Damned is perfect. Applied lightly its a sheer berry stain, applied more heavily its a vampy matte blackberry lipstick so you can adjust it based on your comfort level. I always apply lipbalm before wearing matte lip colors but I think Velvet Matte lip pencils are slightly more emollient than most matte lip products. Like another reviewer mentioned, this doesn't wear evenly and tends to leave a ring of color around the outside of my lips after eating and drinking, which I haven't experienced with other Velvet Matte lip pencils. However, I love this color and I'll put up with uneven wear and just reapply more often.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was only supposed to get the NARS eyeshadow primer everyone's been racing about, since I have the oiliest ever. But I was too intrigued by Cruella and La Paz to exit without getting those. The SA was very enthusiastic and swatched this gorgeous berry color on me, and on the ride home, I just couldn't bear to erase it and instead kept staring at how lovely the color looked on my skin. After a week, I went back to the mall with a close friend and hoped against hope that the SA still remembered me. She did, and she knew what I was looking for. Damned in all of its beautiful, vampy glory. I have hesitated to wear this to my classes because it's a little too dramatic for daywear, but I thought that it wouldn't hurt to break the rules ever so often. So I did and got compliments. I wore this to a recent family reunion too and gotten more compliments. Damned is beautiful and you will not regret getting it. I cheat on Cruella - my favorite red - with this one, and I make sure that Damned, Cruella, and a YSL Touche Eclat is always in my bag whenever I go out.