Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer SPF 20

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer SPF 20
Neutrogena Healthy Skin EnhancerHealthy Skin Enhancer SPF 20

3.7

Active ingredients: Octinoxate (7) (Sunscreen), Octisalate (3) (Sunscreen), Titanium Dioxide (5.1) (Sunscreen) ingredients: Water, Isopropyl Isostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Retinol, Arginine, Olive Fruit Extract (Olea Europaea), BHT, Silica, Polysorbate 20, Sclerotium Gum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Erythorbic Acid, Isostearyl Palmitate, Polysilicone 11, PEG 100 Stearate, Ammonium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, PEG 75 Stearate, Ceteth 20, Steareth 20, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, May Contain: Iron Oxides, Lauroyl Lysine

on 10/25/2016 2:10:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

The main reason for the 3/5 rating is because the lightest shade was a solid 1-2 shades too dark for me. However, this might work for those with darker skin tones. I am going to rate this on the coverage, application, and shade. I can't rate this on the feel or lasting power because I took it off a few minutes after applying, since it was just way too dark.

Notes about my skin color and type: I am very pale, but usually the lightest shade of a foundation will work for me. I have very fair, pink skin with cool/neutral undertones. My skin is combination-dry. I get an oily t-zone with a few blemishes here and there, but dry cheeks. My skin is also incredibly sensitive. I develop dry patches when I use any product that absorbs oil at all, and I break out when use any product that is moisturizing. I have freckles. I typically have problems with foundations either emphasizing dryness I didn't even know was there, or making me look like a complete greaseball.

Coverage- Actually, this was pretty decent for what I was expecting. I put this on and was very satisfied with the coverage. I would call this light- one level above sheer, but not quite medium coverage. As other people have noted, this is called an enhancer- it is not a full foundation, but probably more like a tinted moisturizer or light BB cream. I still needed to spot correct with concealer, but this did a very good job of evening out skin tone and blurring imperfections. Had the shade been much lighter, I would've found this almost perfect for wearing to work every day. However, I don't have bad skin. Those with scarring or acne issues will obviously need something with at least medium coverage.

Application- Fine. Nothing out of the ordinary. Spread pretty well over my face. I can't remember if I used my fingers or a brush.

Shade- the main reason why this didn't work for me. The lightest shade in this was wayyyyy too dark and yellow for my skin.

The reason why I'm not giving this a 1 or 2 out of 5 is because I feel it's unfair to judge a product solely on the shade. I do happen to be incredibly fair. I was disappointed that they didn't make the lightest shade fair enough, but I was very pleasantly surprised at the coverage and finish of this. Unlike other reviewers, I found this to be light (not sheer) and decent coverage.

on 10/4/2016 1:33:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I purchased this as a back-up to my IT Cosmetics CC+ cream and I'm happy with the product. The consistency is similar to my CC+ cream but the coverage is definitely more sheer. That said, it does even out the skin tone and provides a decent amount of moisture, which I expect given it's a BB/CC cream. The shade range does leave something to be desired, though. I can find my shade easily, but my deeper toned sisters have trouble, but I believe Neutrogena is actively addressing this issue - I certainly hope so as Kerri Washington is the face of the brand.

Anyhow, there is no discernible scent to the product; the pump and plastic packaging is actually really nice as I can get clumsy and have a tendency to drop everything on my concrete floors! A little bit goes a very long way, so you don't need much - just remember this is NOT foundation - it's a true BB/CC cream, so don't expect full or even medium coverage from this product.

Overall, I am very pleased and if I ever need to repurchase, I definitely will.

To Read all 593 Reviews, Login or Join

I've used this for about three days now and I love it! Super natural. Doesn't offer a ton of coverage but it makes your skin look way better overall. I tend to get oily in my T-zone but I don't even set this with powder and I just glow! Love that it doesn't make me me an oil slick. Definitely recommend

I bought this in the shade fair/light. I love the fact that this product contains both retinal and SPF protection! It is lightweight and sheer as stated, and feels great on my skin. It is not drying to my skin like some other products like this have been. If I want a bit more coverage at times, I mix in a couple drops of Wet n Wild Coverall Cream Foundation and the two blend seamlessly in my skin. This product is a bit more outlier than I like but sets well with powder. I grabbed it on sale at Rite Aid for just $9. I'm going to try this next time in the next darkest shade to see if it does well without mixing in another product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

First off, this isn't a foundation. It's called an enhancer for a reason. I think enhancer is a good name for it. It's very very sheer, just slightly evens you out.
It sets really well and your skin feels soft. It works well on my combo skin, and I don't need moisturizer under it.
I didn't use it long enough to vouch for its skin care properties. My big problem is that the lightest shade is waaaay too dark. Now because it's so sheer I could probably pull it off. But I'm tired of trying to make stuff work. There are too many products out there to try. If they ever make lighter shades, because this one is laughably dark, I would try it in a heartbeat. It's a beautiful product and a great idea for an all in one skin care makeup item.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I want to like this but I can't.
It is so greasy and shiny on the skin.
Slips right off my oily skin even when set with powder it does not stay on.
My skin is instantly greasy and feels like my skin cannot breathe.
I also broke out while trying to make this work.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Looks SO naturally beautiful on! This stuff is gold! Recently I got this, the Mac studio waterweight serum foundation, and the mere Norman lasting foundation. All three are almost equally perfect in their own way. This one though, was half the price of the other two, but it seems to be the one ice been reaching for the most. Definitely an HG product. This stuff makes me glow. Naturally glow, not shimmer glow. My actual skin is glowing. It looks like my bare skin, only even, smooth to the touch, and looks absolutely glorious! I thought it would be too dark, even though I got the lightest shade, but it went on beautifully and the color undetectable. I love it so much I will never go without it. When it gets low I will run to buy another. Forever. Did I mention it's got retinol in it? Yeah. Bravo, Neutrogena, and thank you for making my skin so gorgeous! It's about $13. Comes in a plastic bottle, with pump. I keep in bag to keep it out of the light. Highly recommend.

on 1/7/2016 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is my tried and true "foundation". HG status for sure. I believe I started using this stuff almost over 8 years ago. I have tried many different bbs, foundations, mineral powders etc and ALWAYS come back to this. The price is right and the coverage is juuuust right for me. It evens out my skin tone, covers blemishes and gives me a healthy glow without giving the intense "full face of makeup" look. I am on the oily side so I do set it with powder. The price is fantastic and as others have mentioned, the best results usually come from mixing two colors together a little bit. The SPF and retinol are fantastic bonuses for a drug store brand. If I had to have one gripe I think it would be the packaging. The plastic is cheap (surprise) and I have broken a pump or two. The clear bottle is nice because you can see how much you are using but I wish it was more opaque because it does take me a while to run through the bottles and I worry about oxidation.

on 11/10/2015 9:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I'm only in on my 4th day trying this. But, so far so good! I alternate between high def foundations and BB/tinted moisturizers, depending on how my skin looks that day and what I'm doing. I've been using Urban Decay BB (actually a tinted moisturizer) and wanted to try to find something just A LITTLE BIT thicker, and cheaper, lol. So far, I really like the consistency of this. I'm pretty pale with reddish spots here and there, so I have the 10, lightest shade. From reading other reviews I may get the 20 as well and mix, to be a perfect shade for better coverage. It doesn't cover really dark spots, but it's really nice for putting on if you don't need extreme coverage that day. I absolutely LOVE that it has retinol. I feel that since I've started using most of the Neutrogena products (makeup and face moisturizers) with Retinol, that my skin has dramatically changed. I'm 43, fine lines and wrinkles starting to show up, large pores, starting to get sun spots here and there coming out...using these products has made my face much more brighter and smoother looking, as well as tighter! I recommend trying all their retinol products if you dont have extremely sensitive skin, and are starting to see age hit your face like I have this past year. T_T
They are really doing wonders for me.
I will try this again. Today I mixed it with my Too Faced high def foundation Born This Way, for more coverage...they blended very well together for a smooth finish but not as thick as the foundation on its own. I'm really liking this product so far! Will review again after a couple of weeks if anything changes.

on 11/2/2015 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This review might be a teensy bit premature because I've only been using this product for about a week, but so far I'm loving it so much that I couldn't help shouting from the rooftops. I've tried several tinted moisturizers, BB and CCs, and so-called 'light and natural' products (Nars, Bobbi Brown, Cover FX, Urban Decay) over the past year or so, but the performance of this little gem has blown the others out of the water.

I find the coverage to be quite good for a tinted moisturizer, but what I really enjoy is the consistency and finish, which is creamy and soft but not greasy or balmy, and the finish is what I'd call a glowy semi-matte. My skin looks radiant (not quite dewy) and it doesn't settle into fine lines or pores OR cling to my dry patches, two of my biggest pet peeves. After applying two pumps of this, I then spot conceal with high coverage concealer, and set with translucent powder. I much prefer to have a light base and spot conceal afterwards with the heavy stuff in the areas I need it. It's definitely more time consuming than just smearing on a heavy full-coverage base, but I think this method allows for a more natural and 'real' makeup look.

So far I haven't broken out from this, which is a huge plus because my my skin is very sensitive and acnegenic. I'm also tickled about the price, which is $14 at my local Walgreens, compared to what I was using before, Aveda's mineral tinted moisturizer at $30. And I much prefer the performance of this Neutrogena product to Aveda.