4.3

price range

Reviews

3.0

2 years ago

I don’t plan to repurchase this, even though it isn’t a bad product per se. Once applied to my lips, the texture of the balm becomes too thin to be occlusive, but the ingredients just aren’t moisturizing enough for a non-occlusive lip balm to be very effective. It just doesn’t do anything for the health of my lips - they don’t become any smoother, softer, or less dry when I use this balm, even as an overnight treatment (in a thick layer). I do like that this balm brings out the pinkness of my lips, without looking too glossy or “lipstick-y”, and I also kind of like the smell. For the price, you do get a ton of product. However, the tin is TERRIBLE...over time, it becomes almost impossible to open without some kind of tool. For the price point, I greatly prefer Smith’s Rosebud Salve in a squeeze tube, which isn’t any more effective as a lip balm, but IS more hygienic and easier to use than the tin. If you just need a super effective lip treatment to fix your dry, chapped lips (or even prevent drying/chapping), plain old Aquaphor, CeraVe ointment, and Vaseline all work better than this balm. The key is to get your lips slightly wet with clean water before applying an occlusive, such as Vaseline or Aquaphor - they don’t work as well if there’s no moisture to seal in! If you really like rose-scented balms, both this (C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve) and Smith’s Rosebud Salve are about 100x better than the $30 Creme de Rose balm by Dior (which has been discontinued, but is still available in a few online shops). I wouldn’t pay big bucks for this balm, but for the $5.50 I paid for it, I’m not mad at it, either.

About reviewer (17 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinDry, Fair

HairBrunette

3 years ago

So lately i have been having an obsession with tin lip balms I go often to bath and body works and I passed by the mentha shine and saw this little tin I picked it up and saw it was rose salve.. at that time they had a buy two get one free for the C.O Bigelow products i got two mentha shines and the third was the rose salve and HOLLY MOLLY that was the best decision I have ever made !! It smells so dam good like roses I love roses and how they smell and this smells just like a rose ????.. it leaves my lips so smooth I put it on in the morning and my lips are super smooth all day till like the after noon its when I have to use it again but with regular lip balm I have to apply every hour or so .. the balm it self has like a pink color on it but you can't tell any color on your lips so yeah guys can use it as well plus it's a all purpose balm you can use it on your lips cuticles elbows knees face.. my daughter get dry patches on her cheeks when it's cold and i put this on and it disappears quickly.. yes I would repurchase I haven't finished my first tin and I bought two more ????

About reviewer (12 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

3 years ago

Bought it on a whim at Nordstrom's. My lips have become very dry and also sensitive to ingredients I used to love, like mint or eucalyptus. No more Blistex or Carmex until this passes. So I try everything else. I love Aerin Rose Lip Conditioner, but at $25 a tube, too expensive for all-around, everyday use. I had used Rosebud salve, but my favorite, Minted Rose, now irritates my lips. I don't like the Strawberry, am meh on Mocha Rose and Bramble Rose, and the original smells like honey, not roses (and not a pleasant honey scent, a bit fetid). Now Bigelow's. The tin is hard to open but I figured out a trick to help. To be fair, Rosebud's tins (all scents) were hard to open as well. Such is the way with little tins. I like the consistency- bit firmer than Rosebud's, not as shiny in the tin, no color on the lips, nice rose scent, lasts a while, and does not irritate my lips. No flavor I could discern. YMMV as always. I saw this comes in a tube but the tube is $7.50 while the tin is $5.50 for the same amount of product. Might get one for travel when I need it. I already bought more of it so you could say I'm a fan.

About reviewer (195 reviews)

SkinVery Dry, Fair, Cool

HairRed, Wavy, Medium

3.0

3 years ago

I saw this product for the 1st time, this afternoon at Bath & Body Works. I bought 3 cans, as I was checking out the gal told me if I bought 2 I'd get one free, I love a deal, so that's what I did. . When I got home I read the reviews, and smeared some on myself. Love the rose smell. Can't really review it since I don't know how it's going to do. But one thing I see on several sites is the complaint about getting it open. I agree, it is really a pain. Not good on the nails. So what I did was locate a jar that it fits into and place the can into it, leave the top off the tin and put the jar lid on., it's a cute can but I can't deal with getting it open. I gave a medium rating because as I said I don't know yet. I gave a medium price. If it does all the good stuff I read, it's worth the price. I don't know how it's going to last yet, either. I said yes, to buying again. I see good reviews so I think I'd buy again. But that is just a guess at this time.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinNormal, Medium

HairBrown

3 years ago

love this stuff! Keeps my lips so moisturized and nice I put this on before I go to bed and wake up In the morning my lips so hydrated. This is also a great balm to wear on a daily basis. it is perfect for my no makeup days where I still want something on my lips. great purchase !

About reviewer (19 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

3 years ago

Holy grail lip product! This is the only lip treatment that I have used consistently for years. There is a slight fragrance that doesn't bother me, my boyfriend loves the smell of it when I have it on though! Keeps my lips feeling moisturized and looking and feeling soft. I've also used it on my cuticles at times or dry patches on my body. The only thing I dislike about this product is the packaging. It's a very iconic jar but sometimes can be hard to open and unhygienic.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

SkinOily, Olive

HairBlack

EyesBlack

3 years ago

It really smells like roses and the packaging is cute; use a small scoop to scrape the product out to avoid contamination. It makes my lips feel moisturized and look plump and glossy. Apply a generous amount on your lips every night and they will look better in the morning. I also apply some on my cuticles and they look and feel softer. The amount you get for the price is wonderful; I got mine from bath and body works. Sometimes they have a buy two get one free; snatch these while you have the chance since it's a small investment and they run out quickly!

About reviewer (168 reviews)

SkinNormal, Tan

HairBlack

4 years ago

I put this on in the morning, I apply it again at night. Makes my lips feel soft, smooth and moist.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Curly, Medium

4 years ago

This has helped my lashes look like have mascara on and dry lips and even my knees for spring and after tanning lotion to hold tan color. I been using it for 12 years today and formula is true and hoping they don't change it. I bought it at bath and body works with special gift and paid for last 4 in stock lolz love it. Less mascara during no day makeup days or gym is best. The tin is annoying and suggest rubber band together untighten faster or jar in other cute little tubs they sell dollar tree.

About reviewer (106 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinVery Dry, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

4 years ago

I had heard about this salve on and off for a couple of years and finally decided to see what all the fuss was about and now I have two tins of this haha. I live in Canada, when I purchased this I believe it roughly came up to $6? I don't find the price to be bad at all. I generally pay a similar price for my Burt's Bees balm, and that only contains 4.25 g whereas this salve contains 22 g. That's typically how it goes for products in a tin though, usually you get more than you would in a regular stick. I like to use this salve before bed and in the morning, I let it soak into my lips. I only ever use it at home because it is in a tin so I need to use a finger to apply it and I don't feel comfortable doing so when I've been touching things in public. I find that my lips have been feeling a lot softer and they haven't been peeling. I also love to use this under any lipsticks I wear as I find it completely smooths out any lines in my lips. I personally feel like it may make the lipsticks I put on appear glossier, but I also don't own any matte lipsticks so that might just be their natural appearance. Either way, I love the look it gives because I don't personally enjoy matte products. There are only two cons I have about the product, although only one is why I took a lippie off: I personally don't like the smell. That said, I don't like floral scents and this is a *rose* salve, so I expected that I wouldn't like the scent. The good news is that I don't find the scent lingers at all - once it's applied I can't smell it anymore so it's really not a big deal. The packaging is the bigger issue, for me and that is why I'm giving the product 4 stars instead of 5. I think the tin itself looks adorable, don't get me wrong. I love the colour and I love how they went for a vintage look. However, I have two issues with it. A.) As I mentioned earlier I don't feel comfortable using the balm in public because it's in a tin and I have to apply it with a finger. I believe I've seen on amazon or another place that this does come in a tube though...? I'll have to look into it. B.) This thing can be tough to get open. It's not all the time though, sometimes it opens easily and I don't even think about it. Other times I have to resort to wrapping an elastic band along the top or bottom in order to get a good grip to open up the balm. This can be frustrating, and it is the main reason it has 4 stars. I do highly recommend this product though. I personally feel like it has made my lips much softer and smoother and it really isn't a bad price - you do get quite a bit of product! I haven't used this on any place other than my lips as I have different moisturizers and I don't think putting something scented like this on my face would do so well as I do have sensitive skin. As a lip balm though, I can and do vouch for it.

About reviewer (42 reviews)

AgeUnder 18