MAC Prep + Prime Skin

MAC Prep + Prime Skin

3.3

Water/Aqua/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Polysilicone-11, Sucrose, Isopentyldiol, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Gellidiela Acerosa (Algae) Extract, Morus Bombycis (Mulberry) Root Extract, Hypnea Musciformis (Algae) Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Poria Cocos Sclerotium Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Amorphophallus Konjac Root Powder, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Algae Extract, Caffeine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Magnesium Myristate, Sodium Hyaluronate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Saccharide Isomerate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Polysorbate 20, Alumina, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Polyethylene, Phenyl Trimethicone, Sialyllactose, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Phenoxyethanol Prep & Prime Skin may contain: Mica, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Bismuth Oxychloride

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

WOW!! This thing is really truly amazing!!
I was looking for a primer but didn't want to go for something too matte - I have oily skin but primers with silicons and pore-refining crap tends to make it even more oily, and I also don't like how they feel when I touch my face - like the leave a silicon residue on my hand when I touch my face or something... I am also trying to use primers from the same companies of my foundations, as I've heard that they normally work better this way, and as my absolute favourite is Mac's Pro Longwear, I went straight to Mac. So a Mac SA recommended this, and I bought it wondering whether it will actually work.

And boy it works!! I used it over my Neostrata Ultra Daytime Smoothing Cream, and with my Mac Pro Longwear liquid foundation and keeps it on literally all day... It really is a miracle product. Nope, it doesn't really smooth pores etc, but it doesn't claim to do that anyway. It does exactly what it says, keeps your makeup on all day. My face doesn't look oily, but then again I think this is more down to the combination of this primer and the Pro Longwer than the primer itself - I've used it with Mac's Mineralise Moisture and didn't really prevent oil from coming out towards the end of my day. I noticed at some point, weeks after I had first used it, that it leave some kind of sparkles on my hand after I apply it, but not sure where the sparkles go, because it's not sparkly on my face!

Another trick I am doing with it is mixing it with the Pro Longwear foundation when I want less coverage - it makes the foundation look like a tinted moisturiser or something, and gives a really nice glow, I absolutely love using it this way, especially during weekends and 'no makeup days'. This is now my little hero, and will be definitely getting a new one when I run out of it.
I have to say that I haven't tried it with foundations from other companies, but then I would probably not really bother - I would get a primer from the company where the foundation is from if you ask me...

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a very strange primer that just really doesn't work for m skin type or makeup style. I bought this some months back when my local MAC was having a GWP sale when you bought a primer and foundation. I was buying foundation anyways, so I asked for a good primer for dry skin and this is what I got handed by the SA.

Wrong choice, girl. This was so horrible for dry skin because it does nothing to hydrate or moisturize or anything. It's a very thin gel-lotion texture and dries sort of like a shiny layer on the face. But it sucked the moisture out of my skin and replaced any natural radiance with this tight shine-veil. Did nothing to keep makeup on or anything extra.

Then the sparkles. Honestly, I'm not opposed to a little shimmer in a primer. I have the milani strobe light primer which I love - it's both moisturizing and has fine shimmers to give that "glow". This was ridiculous, because it didn't contain that many shimmers, so the glitter just looked random and out-of-place when it was on the face. PLUS, I have the one in pink and the glitters are freaking RED. WHY. None of it was natural, it just looked like red glitter fallout.

I ended up giving it to my sister who has oily skin and uses more high-coverage foundations and she doesn't seem to mind it, but still no rave reviews. Definite pass.

Started using this when I got tired of my oily skin looking gross in the heat. I never use primer except for under eyeshadow so this is really the first one I'm trying. I use it over moisturizer and under Maybelline Fit Me or Bobby Brown foundation. The difference is amazing. I feel much less oily and have to blot fewer times throughout the day. I don't see it evening anything out on my skin but it does make it much smoother and lengthens the staying power of my foundation. I'm excited to try other primers after this one now that I've realized how big a staple it really is.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I'm pretty obsessed with this primer. Before I started doing my skin care treatments with my dermatologist I had large pores and it did a good job covering them up and not making them as noticeable. Now that my skins not as bad I still go to this primer and it makes my skin look flawless.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I Love this! I'm surprised by all the bad reviews. It spreads easily and makes my skin look so smooth. I have actually worn this without foundation it does such a great job. I do have oily skin and I can't recall having a huge issue when I wore this out during the day. The glitter doesn't bother me, I actually haven't even noticed it. I currently wear this under their new Next to Nothing foundation and powder and have had to add Prep + Prime Skin Refined Zone to my T-Zone since I started using a heavier creme moisturizer (Neal's Yard Frankincense Creme.)

For reference before I used this, I used Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation and powder and I find using this with Next to Nothing is even BETTER.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This product lasts a really long time but I did not like the fact that it had glitter in the formula and it was just so oily for me.

on 3/7/2017 4:03:00 PM

. I received a delux sample of this with a purchase from Mac. Felt nice and smooth going on. Didn't blur my pore or fine lines at all, which is something I always hope for from a primer. The deal breaker for me was the GLITTER in the formula. Wtf? I was left with a face full of iridescent glitter and had to wipe it off. So incredibly disappointing and upsetting. Mac has rarely disappointed me but this is a total thumbs down.
😢

on 2/28/2017 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I loved this honestly? It went on smooth and made my foundation go on really nicely on top!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is one of the worst primers I have ever used. I have one problem with this product, but it's a big one - glitter. Not shimmer, not "radiance", but a crap ton of glitter all over my damned face!

Texture wise, it does feel like a nice product and I do believe it created a good base for my foundation, but I cannot get past the sparkles.

I know some people have stated that the glitter isn't very noticeable but this really wasn't the case for me. Granted, I use a magnifying mirror to apply my makeup as I'm very short sighted, but I genuinely looked like a unicorn had farted in my face. As a teenager growing up in the nineties I would have probably smeared this stuff all over myself just for the hell of it, but as a 33 year old woman I felt nothing short of ridiculous.

For reference, the foundation I used with this primer was Illamasqua's skin base. I apply this very lightly with a damp beauty blender so maybe you'll have more luck if you use a more full coverage, matte foundation.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this many moons ago. I started to get huge cystic acne from this primer. Run for the hills. There are much better primers out there.