MAC Prep + Prime Skin

MAC Prep + Prime Skin

3.3

Water/Aqua/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Polysilicone-11, Sucrose, Isopentyldiol, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Gellidiela Acerosa (Algae) Extract, Morus Bombycis (Mulberry) Root Extract, Hypnea Musciformis (Algae) Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Poria Cocos Sclerotium Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Amorphophallus Konjac Root Powder, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Algae Extract, Caffeine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Magnesium Myristate, Sodium Hyaluronate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Saccharide Isomerate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Polysorbate 20, Alumina, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Polyethylene, Phenyl Trimethicone, Sialyllactose, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Phenoxyethanol Prep & Prime Skin may contain: Mica, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Bismuth Oxychloride

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is one of the worst primers I have ever used. I have one problem with this product, but it's a big one - glitter. Not shimmer, not "radiance", but a crap ton of glitter all over my damned face!

Texture wise, it does feel like a nice product and I do believe it created a good base for my foundation, but I cannot get past the sparkles.

I know some people have stated that the glitter isn't very noticeable but this really wasn't the case for me. Granted, I use a magnifying mirror to apply my makeup as I'm very short sighted, but I genuinely looked like a unicorn had farted in my face. As a teenager growing up in the nineties I would have probably smeared this stuff all over myself just for the hell of it, but as a 33 year old woman I felt nothing short of ridiculous.

For reference, the foundation I used with this primer was Illamasqua's skin base. I apply this very lightly with a damp beauty blender so maybe you'll have more luck if you use a more full coverage, matte foundation.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this many moons ago. I started to get huge cystic acne from this primer. Run for the hills. There are much better primers out there.

on 12/12/2016 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I'm constantly looking for a replacement for my old favourite every day primer - The Jan Marini primer, which have been taken out of production. So sad about that! I bought this primer to see if it could live up to my demands, but no. This is a nice primer, but the effect is not as long lasting as I would like it. No wow-effect! It has a bit of glitter in the formula, and I'm not sure what to think of that. It might be nice for a party now and then, but for parties I go to my HG Primer (Hourglass No28 primer serum) as I don't think MAC will last throughtout my kind of party evenings :-) - for daily use at the office it just looks weird walking around with glitter all over my face.

It has silicones in it, for those who wants to avoid that (I actually like them in my primers).

The bottle is black, so it's hard to see how much is left, which is always a bad thing in my book. I usually have one or two cheap backups if something runs out, but still. Basically, this is an ordinary primer, but comes with a reasonable price tag. I won't buy it again, I will still be on the lookout (thinking of trying Cover FX next, as it's supposed to be very similar with the Jan Marini one) for the perfect every day primer.

on 12/5/2016 3:14:00 AM

This primer has been my holy grail for a while. It seems to be one of the only good primers that doesn't break me out. Plus it's got a bit of glitter in it to give your face a nice shine.
Not a big fan of the packaging as you can't really see or feel when you are going to run out and the price is pretty steep I feel, for a primer anyway.
When you do research on primers, most seem to have the same thing.
My makeup lasts relatively well when I wear this. Goes really well with the mac studio fix powder.
If you're searching for a primer that won't cause a breakout, I'd definitely recommend this.

on 11/11/2016 9:49:00 PM

Ive been using this since in my mid 20s up til now. Probably went thru 4 bottles of these babies already. There was once, i used a different primer, but i really hated the way my makeup look. Then when i finished with that primer, i immediately went back to get MAC Prep and Primer again. With this primer, it makes my skin look smoothier under liquid/powder foundation or loose powder (on the days i dnt feel like wearing anything heavy underneath), it does prolong my makeup, has adequate oil control properties for moderately oily skin (unless that you're super oily, then u better off with a heavy duty oil controlling primer). Pump works great, it dispenses just the right amount, 1 pump is enough to cover my whole face, tho it bugs me that i cnt see the amount left in the bottle but that just me. The faint scent doesnt bother me at all, it smells refreshing to my nose and i love it, and so does the the itty bitty shimmer, when most ppl here complaints about how the shimmer bothers them, when it really is extremely fine type of shimmer, u barely sees it unless u stick your face 10cm from the mirror. I mean come on people, i honestly dont think u'll end up looking like a discoball. It has a semi matte coverage when i put this on, definitely not a flat matte. It works really well with my MAC foundations and even with my fave full coverage foundation like Estee Lauder Double Wear. Even tho it is my fave primer, i still need to get another primer (Benefit Porefessional) for my enlarged pores around my cheeks areas, as it did nothing for them. But then again, its not then primer fault anyway, i have a crappy skin.

on 10/19/2016 4:36:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This rating needs to be higher. I got it as a sample and it works awesome. Probably best primer I've used. It actually has me using foundation again after a long hiatus because it leaves my skin so smooth and last ALL DAY, until I wash it off. Wore it to a wedding this past week and my skin looked the same. I have an oily tzone so I'm trying the oil control version next. See picture which at least four hours after application. Other products used in pic are :ELf brightening eyeliner, Mac corner lashes, mac lipglass in lychee luxe.

on 9/14/2016 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

wow in love with this primer, used this on my wedding day, it helped my make up stay put all day, this primer is incredible for oily skin. I applied my moisturiser first then applied this, allowed it to dry then applied my foundation. it really does keep me matt for a good 10 hours, which is very unusual for my oily skin. love the packaging simple and easy to use. it does have a glitter to it but I didn't even notice at first, the glitter disappeared after applying my foundation so didn't bother me at all. price is affordable as the product will last ages, a little goes a long way. finally found a primer that works with my oily skin thank you MAC.

I received a deluxe sample in an order I made. I immediately wanted to try so put some on my hand and discovered it's glittery like an eyeshadow?? I decided to still give it a go under foundation one day anyway in case I was missing something. But once I had applied my foundation it had pilled up a bit in some places and I was VERY glittery.

Would never buy this, not sure why they thought the microglitter was a good idea.

on 8/25/2016 11:49:00 PM

This was a total letdown for me. I washed my face and did my usual moisturization ritual before I use primer, and apply my makeup. So I apply a very small amount and start to do some colour correction. Now I don't have super uber expensive brushes but I know they didn't cause micro exfoliation as I use them everyday. Anyway I'm applying my corrector and as I was blending my skin started to shed! Not pill up but shed like a lizard! So, I was so not cool with having to remove all my moisturizers and serums and start over again.

The problem in my case is that the primer has cones in it, and they do not mix with water based moisturizers which, is what I use. Because I have combination skin. Still a primer shouldn't be so incompatable with makeup and moisturizers. Either way I'm glad it's just a sample because this just didn't work for me. I prefer water based primers anyway as silicone in primers always seems to break me out. So good thing I realized early before buying a full size. Try before you buy with this because you shouldn't have to change skincare products just to use this primer.

on 8/24/2016 7:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is the most useless primer I have ever used! Doesn't make pores look smaller and it definitely does not stop oil. Dries shiny so that foundation looks odd. I got a sample of this with a MAC purchase - thank god I did not pay for it, and I definitely won't buy it again