MAC Cosmetics Satin - Mylar

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
No Image

3.1

When I first tried this shadow I was upset because the color payoff sucked so I didn't bother using it anymore. Then one day for my birthday I did a neutral eye shadow look. With a little bit of brown shading in the crease and mylar in the brow bone and all over the lid. When it was time for pictures I did not think anything would be wrong. Boy was I wrong the camera flashed picked up Mylar so good that it looked like I had two white circles on my eyes it was so embarrassing to have looked like that. Anyway will not repurchase again and two points for being well pigmented and captured on camera because in regular lighting it's no good!

I genuinely hate this eyeshadow, for me personally it was a waste of 9.50! after watching afew videos on youtube i thought this would be a lovely addition to my "neutrals" palette and i was really upset to find i was wrong! As i swatched the shadow there was nothing to be seen and when i tested it on my eyes, again nothing to be seen! Really disapointed :( x

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I got this thinking it may be an alternative to my HG Bobbi Brown Bone. But it is far from that. Mylar is a matte, satin finish, chalky white eye shadow. Of course the product is good quality so it applies and stays well. But I think it is too white to use as a base, it looks very unnatural, at least on me (I am NC 25) I hardly ever use it.

im in between an nc20 and nc25 and i find mylar to be a great natural inner tearduct color, browbone highlight. it's a nice simple great every day, goes with every eyeshadow highlight color.
It's beautiful in that it is a satin finish and surprisingly it is quite pigmented. i swatched this in stores before and it seemed unpigmented... so i just never bothered to pick it up.

The other day, i went in for Era eyeshadow, and decided to just pick this one up too and I love it. I think it will be one of my new favourite most reached for highlight colors. great for daytime looks and to the office. i prefer this to vanilla and blanc type. It just looks more natural and not overdone.

on 10/25/2010 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Highly underrated color! Alabaster in a pot. This works perfectly as a brow highlighter on pale skintones. I'm NC25 and this is barely noticeable under my brow so it looks extremely natural - my browbone but better, if there is such a thing. Very soft satin finish, so soft I actually thought it was a matte for a long time until one day I caught it reflecting light ever so slightly; nowhere near a true satin though, with that unquestionable sheen all satin eyeshadows seem to carry. Ideal for those who want to look like they have nothing on but still need that "polished browbone" look (again, does such a thing even exist?). Will repurchase.

on 10/17/2009 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is my absolute must-have eyeshadow. It's the best shade I've found to highlight my brow, the inner corners of my eyes, and lower lash line. I also sometimes use it on my cupid's bow. The texture is perfect - not too matte but not shimmery. It's a true satin finish. The color is a true creamy white that's not harsh at all. It's not as yellow as an ivory but not a stark white. Love it and am never without it!

on 10/3/2009 6:30:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

It is absolutely perfect on my skin as a brow highlighter. It is kinda shimmery so I only use it as a night time/evening look. Not very pigmented so I have to use a bit more to make it show up. Does not look chalky on my skin. Will be repurchasing when and if I do run out.

Mylar is an off white eyeshadow by MAC in a satin finish. There is nothing special about the colour so yes, you could very easily find a similar and cheaper version at a drugstore. However, in my opinion, that is virtually applicable to most colours and most products so for me, the fact that the colour is nothing special does not constitute a problem.

What is tricky about Mylar is the finish. I find MACs satin eyeshadow finish to be rather inconsistent. Mylar is virtually matte although if you look closely in broad daylight, you will be able to see veeeery subtle shimmer. However, Shroom is also a satin but to me is more like a frost and Folie is also a satin but I find it matte! I think the finish is what can really disappoint potential buyers: you think you are buying a satin and end up with a nearly matte eyeshadow.

Going back to Mylar, it is one of my most used colours. I normally use it at as wash, no matter what look I am aiming for, from lashline to brow bone. If it is day makeup, it also works as a highlighter. I dont like a lot of shimmer in my eyes during the day and even less on my brow bone, so Mylar works just fine. Besides, it merges really well with my medium skin tone, and you cannot really tell it is there, but cannot see bare skin either. If I am going for a nigh time look, I use it to prep the lid. Also in those days when I dont feel like doing a full face, I just apply a bit of blot powder, blush, clear brow gel and even out my lid colour with Mylar.

As far as consistency is concerned, I have never found it to be chalky. However what I think is applicable to many (nearly) matte shades is that the lighter the colour, the chalkier it can look if applied heavily.

Mylar is one of my most used colours and definitely a colour I dont feel sorry for spending 16 on. Id rather do it with Mylar than with another trendy eyeshadow I know it will only use once.

on 5/24/2007 4:37:00 PM

Boring, plain matte off-white color. It is definitely chalkier and more sheer compared to MAC's Veluxe Pearls or even their Frost shadows, but it's not horrible. Just not great and not worth 14 USD. NYX's "Nude" is similar (but not as white, which will work better for most people) and has a much better, silkier texture.

on 3/19/2007 6:09:00 PM

This is a pretty basic off-white color, looks good on my cool NW15 skin, but is probably neutral enough to work on other skintones as well. I use this from lashline to brow - both as a highlighter and a base for when I do a natural eye with Era, Satin Taupe, Mystery, Blitz and Glitz fluidline. (My new natural HG look!) The Satin formula is lovely as ever, but I still think this is not one of the best representatives for the formula, for that Mylar applies a little less even than for example Era. I use the 239 brush with both, so the difference is noticeable. I think I might buy this again, because Mylar lends itself better to a natural eye than the usual frosty white highlighter. Edit: Now I am in love with it! This is basically a great matte highlighter for me as I do not tolerate to much glitter on my brow. You need to be pale to love this! (I think...)