MAC Satin - Mylar

Filtered by age: 25-29
No Image

3.9

I got this while searching for a pale, semi-matte shade for my browbone as I've started getting away from shimmery highlights. I'm trying to keep my browbone shades close to my skintone while still being an actual highlight. This certainly fits the bill! It highlights without being too shimmery or ashy. Blends well into my skin and helps to blend my crease shade as well. Love this shade!

Mylar. Satin pale highlighter. No beige or anything warm in it. Pale white.
I really like this one. It can be very subtle for a day at work or more dramatic for a night out - it all depends on how much you put on. It's buildable. I actually put it sometimes on my lid (one third of a lid, two other thirds- copperplate) and it's a very nice greyish look. Got many compliments.

On my NC20-25 skin Mylar makes for a very natural highlight... it's great for a "no makeup, makeup". It is very neutral meaning it doesn't lean pink or yellow, which many highlighters can do. It has a very subtle sheen to it, although this isn't readily seen once applied to the eye. Overal I really like Mylar, but I'm not sure that I will need to repurchase anytime soon, because 90% of the time I use Vanilla.

im in between an nc20 and nc25 and i find mylar to be a great natural inner tearduct color, browbone highlight. it's a nice simple great every day, goes with every eyeshadow highlight color.
It's beautiful in that it is a satin finish and surprisingly it is quite pigmented. i swatched this in stores before and it seemed unpigmented... so i just never bothered to pick it up.

The other day, i went in for Era eyeshadow, and decided to just pick this one up too and I love it. I think it will be one of my new favourite most reached for highlight colors. great for daytime looks and to the office. i prefer this to vanilla and blanc type. It just looks more natural and not overdone.

on 7/5/2010 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Someone said it in a prior review: you must be pale to appreciate this eyeshadow. This is the lightest flesh-toned shadow that MAC sells. It's a creamy-white bone color. Its the alabaster shade of their permanant line. The obvious application for this is as a natural and neutral highlighter for very fair skin. And when I say fair, I mean fair as in MAC foundations are too dark for you. In fact, I purchased this shade after trying on all of their lighter flesh-toned shades while searching for a highlighter that suited my too-light-for-their-foundation skin tone. Everything else looked too dark and muddy.
The color can be found elsewhere but the advantage with this eyeshadow is the Satin finish, which catches the light just right -- not chalky like a matte and not too shiny like a frost.

on 10/8/2009 10:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I have to say that I am a bit disapointed from that one... I can barely see it (and I put primer & beige paint under), not a big color payoff. However, I wanted a non-shimmery nor frosted shadow for highlight... I guess that I got what I wanted... It's pretty matte!

on 1/15/2009 5:23:00 PM

It is ok, white color, basic. Looks bit chalky on me. I have actually found my HG white and it is Paula Dorf Strapless. This is quite sheer one also.

Mylar is an off white eyeshadow by MAC in a satin finish. There is nothing special about the colour so yes, you could very easily find a similar and cheaper version at a drugstore. However, in my opinion, that is virtually applicable to most colours and most products so for me, the fact that the colour is nothing special does not constitute a problem.

What is tricky about Mylar is the finish. I find MACs satin eyeshadow finish to be rather inconsistent. Mylar is virtually matte although if you look closely in broad daylight, you will be able to see veeeery subtle shimmer. However, Shroom is also a satin but to me is more like a frost and Folie is also a satin but I find it matte! I think the finish is what can really disappoint potential buyers: you think you are buying a satin and end up with a nearly matte eyeshadow.

Going back to Mylar, it is one of my most used colours. I normally use it at as wash, no matter what look I am aiming for, from lashline to brow bone. If it is day makeup, it also works as a highlighter. I dont like a lot of shimmer in my eyes during the day and even less on my brow bone, so Mylar works just fine. Besides, it merges really well with my medium skin tone, and you cannot really tell it is there, but cannot see bare skin either. If I am going for a nigh time look, I use it to prep the lid. Also in those days when I dont feel like doing a full face, I just apply a bit of blot powder, blush, clear brow gel and even out my lid colour with Mylar.

As far as consistency is concerned, I have never found it to be chalky. However what I think is applicable to many (nearly) matte shades is that the lighter the colour, the chalkier it can look if applied heavily.

Mylar is one of my most used colours and definitely a colour I dont feel sorry for spending 16 on. Id rather do it with Mylar than with another trendy eyeshadow I know it will only use once.

on 5/24/2007 4:37:00 PM

Boring, plain matte off-white color. It is definitely chalkier and more sheer compared to MAC's Veluxe Pearls or even their Frost shadows, but it's not horrible. Just not great and not worth 14 USD. NYX's "Nude" is similar (but not as white, which will work better for most people) and has a much better, silkier texture.

I was disappointed in this shade - it hardly showed up on my skin, and the texture was chalky and difficult to blend. I swapped it away almost immediately. I think Nylon or Vanilla would be a better bet.