Neutrogena MicroMist Tanning (Medium 2 shades darker)

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Neutrogena MicroMist Tanning (Medium 2 shades darker)

3.2

on 7/21/2018 8:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I’m reviewing #3, which is three shades darker, but I don’t think it needs a separate heading.

I like this, and would probably repurchase for the ease of use. I have a hard time getting tanners to show up much on my NC40/C4 skin. I use them to basically even and darken a bit. For this one, I use it like a spray tan. I coat the bottom and sides of feet, elbows and knees with a thin coat of Vaseline and spray, including my face. Alternatively, I can spray it on a makeup brush and buff it on my face, tops of feet and tops of hands. The color is noticeable and a nice, warm brown. It lasts several days and fades evenly. After a few minutes I can use my regular body moisturizer and be done with the whole thing. I suppose it has the self tanner smell, but it’s fainter than most.

on 7/6/2014 2:08:00 PM

I used this spray tanner for my wedding 5 years ago and it turned out beautifully. I am very pale normally but that day I had a natural-looking, even tan.

I decided to return to this for a trip to Vegas (usually I use one of the gradual self-tanners) and I'm not as enamored of it now. Many of the reviewers say this doesn't actually produce any color but that is not my contention. The day after the first application I could tell I was darker, and the second day/application I had a light tan. I understand that with this the color has to be built to the desired level and despite what the packaging says, it's not going to show up in 2-4 hours. Give it overnight and a few tries.

The color is fairly natural looking although you have to be careful not to over apply before you veer into orange territory. Like I mentioned, I'm very pale and about 4 applications with this is plenty. With good exfoliation and lots of lotion (I do lotion prior to, let it dry, and then apply this. With gloves!) this "tan" can last a good 4-6 days before you start to see the fading/patchiness that is the unfortunate trademark of all self-tanners.

My issues with this are the spray nozzle, which is so temperamental that at first I thought it was broken. It's actually difficult to get it to spray, especially at awkward angles or when using your non-dominant hand. While the mist may be micro, the nozzle can make it come out in blobs which can easily lead to spots and streaks if you're not quick and careful. Furthermore, the spray gets everywhere, and you have to be careful where you apply this.

I'm also noticing the smell a lot more this time. It's not as strong as the Jergens lotion but it does have a chemical scent that lingers for hours. Blessedly, this absorbs much quicker than the lotions. It dries within 10 minutes, doesn't transfer onto clothes, and doesn't feel tacky for hours after.

So I wouldn't buy it again over another product (especially a foam - I wish Neutrogena hadn't discontinued the foam version), but in a pinch, it would do.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I bought this because I tan in a tanning bed but my face doesn't tan as well as the rest of my body and I would like to stop tanning my face to avoid getting wrinkles and all that avoidable stuff. I bought this about two weeks ago and that night I put a tanning sticker on my stomach and sprayed pretty heavily and did two coats to test out the color to make sure I wasn't going to spray my face totally orange. The color barely changed on my stomach, there was a very very slight "tan" line where the sticker had been but there was no orange at all. So then I sprayed my face, ears, neck, and chest and when the color developed it matched my bodys tan perfectly. I can't say much for the lasting power or fading of this product because I spray my face every day or every other day since I wash and exfoliate my face every day. The smell isn't bad at all, when you spray it on it smells kind of like sunscreen or a bug spray but once it dries there isn't much of a smell unless I sweat then it smells kind of self tanner ish. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the price, for a Wal-Mart spray tan $10 seems kinda high but I'm only using it on my face so my bottle should last quit awhile.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have fair skin that freckles in the sun and barely gets any color. This product was really disappointing. I showered, shaved, and exfoliated before applying it and put moisturizer on dry spots (knees, ankles, etc.). Since it was my first time using it, I just tried it on my legs. The smell was horrible and lasted for several hours after application. Also, during application it was impossible to tell where I had already applied the tanner because there is no color guide (so you cant see it on your skin) and it dries fairly quickly (so you cant feel it on your skin). When the color developed about 2 hours later, it was extremely patchy and orange. i would not recommend this product because of how difficult it is to apply evenly and because of the terrible orange color and strong, gross smell.

FOR MY FACE, I love this product. I have acne, and acne scars and marks and all that.
all the self tanners I've bought, except for this one, were tinted and had bronzers in them.
they were NOT good for acne prone skin. the bronzer would settle into dry patches of skin, and I would have brown spots all over my face, it looked absolutely horrible.
since this tanner doesn't have a bronzer, it tans just my skin and leaves my breakouts alone.
plus, it doesn't cause me to break out more.

now on to the bad. because there's no bronzer in it, you can't see where you're applying it. that's why I don't think it's very good for the body. plus, this stuff runs out FAST when you apply it over your whole body..
a few years ago I bought this in 3 shades darker, and ended up buying three bottles in probably a month or two.
(which we all know is ridiculous for self tanner. I have a bottle of st. moriz mousse that's lasted me for 6 - 8 months. although it's not the only bottle of tanner I use consistently, you still get my point.)
also, the packaging sucks. a few years ago when I bought three bottles of this, the third bottle I bought was defective, and I absolutely couldn't get a hint of product out of it.
after lots of time playing with it, I can't remember if I finally got product out, or if I ended up just throwing it away. I'm leaning toward the second one.
my newest bottle, which is the one i'm reviewing now in 2 shades darker, is still hard to get the product out of. I have to push it down a certain way to easily get it out. but it's no nuisance for me, since I only have to spray it into my hands a couple times and then apply it to my face. I imagine the packaging would be annoying though, when applying to the whole body.

the color is a little orange. but it's nothing that some foundation doesn't take care of, it blends it and makes it look as non-orange, and brown tan as my body.
(from better self tanners, of course.)

It's not a very dark tan either. normally what I do is apply it in the morning/afternoon after I wash and moisturize my face (after letting my moisturizer soak in.) and then again that night, same thing. then I have a darker tan by the next day.

last but not least, the smell is bad. it doesn't bother me, but it's definitely your classic chemically bug spray-y self tanner scent.

although half this review I was putting down the product, I still gave it 4 lippies. that's just how much I love it for my face!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I liked the application process. It was super quick and the product dried extremely quickly. The smell is better than most self tanners and I appreciate that. I used the 3 shades darker kind, I am a medium/fair tone and this stuff barely delivered any color. Disappointing.
EDIT*** Tried again. I am now orange and blotchy. I thought I had covered myself with it pretty well. The first time I applied I rubbed it in, this time I did not rub it in... So If I rub in, no color. If I don't I am orange... Great.

um I think it's crap. I've used a lot of different self tanners and sprays and lotions and this one is by far the worst of the bunch. the cloud of fumes is gross and makes it hard to get an even application in your arms and neck and chest because well, you have to look away to not inhale !!! I ended up all splotchy all over my arms and legs even though as I said, I've worked with these before so I do know what I'm doing it. I think I'm going to stick to lotions because it's just easier for me. I would not recommend it to my friends and I'd never use it again. it's crap !! so I gave it one because that's the lowest I can do, otherwise it'd be a big fat ZERO

on 6/19/2010 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

I'm reviewing the deep one actually. When I can't get outside for a few days to tan I use this and I get more compliments than when I get a real tan. The great thing about it is that you can actually tan over it. It's very natural looking.

on 5/3/2010 5:04:00 PM

I do love the instant result that I got...but..the bottle said someting about no rubbing application, which I totally disagree. After the first night of using this product, I was darker but had patches and stripes. I did not like it, so my husband re-sprayed me and while doing so, I rubbed it on my skin to even it out. The next day, I looked so orange! OMG!!! I did not look "tanned" instead ORANGE! especially my feet! Later on that day we played water balloon fight and when I got hit with the balloon, my skin turned bright orange! It did not look "natural" and it appeared to be running (like how ur mascara runs). So I started rubbing it so it wouldn't look sooo bad but it didn't work. So I just ignored it, knowing that it will eventually come off after a couple days. It was an awful color! After a few days the orange-ness washed off and finally I looked tanned. Overall I did not like the outcome of this product but I do like getting the results right away. I will not buy again because it made me look orange!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this yesterday and applied it after I exfoliated in the shower. When I woke up this morning I had a really nice glow and no streaks as far as I can see. I highly prefer it to any lotion products I've tried.

Be warned, this stuff doesn't smell too awesome. I actually had to shower again in the morning because I didn't want to smell it all day long.