Neutrogena MicroMist Tanning (Medium 2 shades darker)

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Neutrogena MicroMist Tanning (Medium 2 shades darker)

3.4

on 7/6/2014 2:08:00 PM

I used this spray tanner for my wedding 5 years ago and it turned out beautifully. I am very pale normally but that day I had a natural-looking, even tan.

I decided to return to this for a trip to Vegas (usually I use one of the gradual self-tanners) and I'm not as enamored of it now. Many of the reviewers say this doesn't actually produce any color but that is not my contention. The day after the first application I could tell I was darker, and the second day/application I had a light tan. I understand that with this the color has to be built to the desired level and despite what the packaging says, it's not going to show up in 2-4 hours. Give it overnight and a few tries.

The color is fairly natural looking although you have to be careful not to over apply before you veer into orange territory. Like I mentioned, I'm very pale and about 4 applications with this is plenty. With good exfoliation and lots of lotion (I do lotion prior to, let it dry, and then apply this. With gloves!) this "tan" can last a good 4-6 days before you start to see the fading/patchiness that is the unfortunate trademark of all self-tanners.

My issues with this are the spray nozzle, which is so temperamental that at first I thought it was broken. It's actually difficult to get it to spray, especially at awkward angles or when using your non-dominant hand. While the mist may be micro, the nozzle can make it come out in blobs which can easily lead to spots and streaks if you're not quick and careful. Furthermore, the spray gets everywhere, and you have to be careful where you apply this.

I'm also noticing the smell a lot more this time. It's not as strong as the Jergens lotion but it does have a chemical scent that lingers for hours. Blessedly, this absorbs much quicker than the lotions. It dries within 10 minutes, doesn't transfer onto clothes, and doesn't feel tacky for hours after.

So I wouldn't buy it again over another product (especially a foam - I wish Neutrogena hadn't discontinued the foam version), but in a pinch, it would do.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I bought this because I tan in a tanning bed but my face doesn't tan as well as the rest of my body and I would like to stop tanning my face to avoid getting wrinkles and all that avoidable stuff. I bought this about two weeks ago and that night I put a tanning sticker on my stomach and sprayed pretty heavily and did two coats to test out the color to make sure I wasn't going to spray my face totally orange. The color barely changed on my stomach, there was a very very slight "tan" line where the sticker had been but there was no orange at all. So then I sprayed my face, ears, neck, and chest and when the color developed it matched my bodys tan perfectly. I can't say much for the lasting power or fading of this product because I spray my face every day or every other day since I wash and exfoliate my face every day. The smell isn't bad at all, when you spray it on it smells kind of like sunscreen or a bug spray but once it dries there isn't much of a smell unless I sweat then it smells kind of self tanner ish. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the price, for a Wal-Mart spray tan $10 seems kinda high but I'm only using it on my face so my bottle should last quit awhile.

i have bought countless cans of this self tanner. i used to use fake bake bronzer but at 20 bucks a can i cant aford it. even this is kinda pricy at 10 dollars for a small can that only lasts a week or two. but i do really like it. i shave and expholate my skin before i apply. after u do it a few times you get the hang of it and i dont have any streaks or patches. its very even and a light color. not orange for me at all. i love it because its sold pretty much everywhere. cvs, wallgreens, walmart, target. and its sold between 9 to 11 dollars. so give it a try if your wanting a little color on your winter pale skin ( my case) i do a coat every few days to keep the color fresh

Overall, I'd say this is a pretty good self tanner. It isn't absolutely perfect for me, so I'll probably continue to try new ones, but I definitely used up my can and would purchase it again.

This came out more natural on me and didn't make a huge difference in color. I've also used the 3 shades darker micromist spray and didn't notice a big difference between the two. I bought this one because they were out of the other. The fine spray makes it very easy and quick to use. After using a misting spray, I will never go back to gels and creams, because it takes so much less time and comes out more often on me when you don't have to rub it in. It isn't colored, which for me is a big plus because I don't want my clothes to get stained. I didn't have any issues with missing any areas. It takes me about 5 minutes to spray it all over my body (I avoid spraying a lot on trickier areas like my feet - but just enough mist falls on them anyway) and then 5-10 minutes to dry.

I'm not sure about the color developing within a couple of hours, but I usually apply it at night and see my color in the morning. I haven't used any self tanners with no scent at all, but this one is less strong than many others I've used. While spraying, it just has a scent that I assume is added to the spray to make it smell nice. As the tan develops, it gets a slight typical self tanner smell, but it isn't bad at all. I'd imagine if you apply heavier coats, you might notice it more than a lighter coat. If it ever was too much for me, I'd just take a light shower (no scrubbing though!). I've tossed out so many self tanners because they were too smelly and this is one of the few I can tolerate. I think Ocean Potion Ever Glow is another good one for little to no smell, but it's a gradual tanning lotion and not a full on self tanner.

Looking back at photos when I used it regularly, my skin looked really nice and I had a nice glow. I'm very fair naturally and this never made me look orange. The only time I had streaking was when shaving my legs after applying, which would be the case for ALL self tanners. I believe I paid around $10 for a can at the grocery store.

This stuff is great for the face, back of the hands and feet but not so much on the body. I use diff products for diff areas because some just work better on diff body parts!
I am VERY fair and need to tan gradually in order for it to look natural.
This product is great for touch-ups and places on the body where you don't want a lot of build-up.

on 6/17/2011 12:04:00 AM

I started using this stuff last summer after a friend recommended it. I love this stuff!! I dont have to rub the application. Just spray and go. Doesnt look orange and no streaks! A++! Please dont discontinue! I havent looked for it in the store yet this year but will be upset if its gone..

So this review is kind of tricky to write. I bought this product (only it was the Deep 3 shades darker version) at a CVS yesterday because they were out of the L' oreal Sublime airbrush spray I like. This product was about three dollars more, which is crazy because the L'oreal spray is already $10.99, which I think is a bit pricey. Anyway, I put this on at about 6pm last night. I watched some Youtube tutorials about how to apply this one and such. Most of them recommended doing two coats, so I did. I was up until at least 2am..and I didn't see any color changes. I was disappointed in this fact, especially since the package said the tan would develop in 2-4 hours. However, I did wake up this morning with a slight color change. I am tanner, for sure, but I would not classify what I have as three shades darker than my previous color. Especially since I applied two very generous coats. There was no streaking at all, which was great, and the smell was not horrible at all. It's your usual aerosal, powdery smell you get with a can of spray tan. The product didn't seem to work as well on my face though, even though I exfoliated that area extra well before hand. I recommend, as with as with all self tanners, to apply lotion to elbows, knees, and ankles before applying this product. Do so, and you with have no problems as long as you keep the can at LEAST 6in away while spraying and you always keep the can in constant motion. I think I will stick to the L'oreal spray just because the color develops faster, and its cheaper, and I get a deeper tan. If you have medium skin, this isn't going to give you super dark results so you have to keep that in mind. But if you are just wanting a nice, glow to your skin, this is great!

I love this self tanner! It isn't smelly at all like most tanners, and for an inexpensive one it is very surprising! It almost had a crisp floral smell. The product comes out very fine and colorless, which is ok. I followed some other reviewers advice and did a quick rub-down to make sure nothing would be streaky. I also used a very emolient moisturizer first. Also the tan last for a week with one application and the color was not orangey. I had people asking me if I just got back from vacay. Also I got about 4 VERY VERY generous applications from one can. I love this product!

This is my favorite sunless tanner. I get super dark and nobody can guess that it isn't real. Warning: YOU WILL SMELL AWFUL, the only downside. It has a very starchy smell to it. I would also recommend reapplying it if you get in a pool. The chlorine slightly messes with the color. Sunless tanners aren't completely perfected. This is the best you're going to get. It's kind of expensive thought; they could at least make the can bigger.

on 3/14/2011 2:32:00 PM

I have very fair skin and was worried about medium being orange and fake looking but I am SO GLAD I gave this a try. I have a beautiful natural glow thanks to this stuff, and I loooove it. The micromist is very fine and I spray even strokes as far from my body as my arm can reach. I got a good deal (2 for $20) saving 6 dollars hence the better price rating. In the past I have used a neutrogena sunless tanner (years ago) which smelled horrific and left horrible streaks and was bright orange. This, however, looks like a beautiful natural glow. Others have said stuff about the smell but I didn't think it was bad. After a few hours there is the distinct self tanner smell on your skin but I have yet to come across a self-tanner that doesn't do that. The best part is I don't have orange palms, and do this fast in the morning. Also, works great on my face, even under my tinted moisturizer. : ) I would give the packaging quality a higher rating if the spray nozzle were easer to press because after a while you get kind of tired pushing it down.