Neutrogena MicroMist Tanning (Medium 2 shades darker)

Filtered by age: 25-29
Neutrogena MicroMist Tanning (Medium 2 shades darker)

3.0

on 7/6/2014 2:08:00 PM

I used this spray tanner for my wedding 5 years ago and it turned out beautifully. I am very pale normally but that day I had a natural-looking, even tan.

I decided to return to this for a trip to Vegas (usually I use one of the gradual self-tanners) and I'm not as enamored of it now. Many of the reviewers say this doesn't actually produce any color but that is not my contention. The day after the first application I could tell I was darker, and the second day/application I had a light tan. I understand that with this the color has to be built to the desired level and despite what the packaging says, it's not going to show up in 2-4 hours. Give it overnight and a few tries.

The color is fairly natural looking although you have to be careful not to over apply before you veer into orange territory. Like I mentioned, I'm very pale and about 4 applications with this is plenty. With good exfoliation and lots of lotion (I do lotion prior to, let it dry, and then apply this. With gloves!) this "tan" can last a good 4-6 days before you start to see the fading/patchiness that is the unfortunate trademark of all self-tanners.

My issues with this are the spray nozzle, which is so temperamental that at first I thought it was broken. It's actually difficult to get it to spray, especially at awkward angles or when using your non-dominant hand. While the mist may be micro, the nozzle can make it come out in blobs which can easily lead to spots and streaks if you're not quick and careful. Furthermore, the spray gets everywhere, and you have to be careful where you apply this.

I'm also noticing the smell a lot more this time. It's not as strong as the Jergens lotion but it does have a chemical scent that lingers for hours. Blessedly, this absorbs much quicker than the lotions. It dries within 10 minutes, doesn't transfer onto clothes, and doesn't feel tacky for hours after.

So I wouldn't buy it again over another product (especially a foam - I wish Neutrogena hadn't discontinued the foam version), but in a pinch, it would do.

on 9/14/2010 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

I purchased this spray after reading a review from a few of the ladies right here on MakeupAlley. As I am a WOC (woman of color) I wasn't expecting to see a world of color on my skin. However, I was seeking out a spray that could give me a sun-kissed "glowy" look. I sprayed the mist on my legs, arms, back, and chest. End result= AMAZING!! I sprayed myself right after I came out the shower to make sure that any results I experience are a direct result of the spray and not lotion. I sprayed every part of myself two times over to get full effects because at first you don't really notice anything...especially on skin as dark as mine. After all the smoke lifts from spraying myself twice, the results are awesome!! I looked like I rub myself down with a lightbulb! lol! My skin glowed, and not only for the first day, but for days and days afterward. Of course, with each day that you shower you'll see color washing off in your bathwater, but that is to be expected. I've purchased bottles and bottles of this stuff and I used it religiously this summer...especially on my legs because it made it look awesome!!

on 7/7/2010 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I read so many good reviews about this and my sister-in-law had a good experience with it that I was jazzed to use it. I showered, exfoliated, lotioned ankles, knees and elbows, covered my hair and went in my shower to apply. It mists out really nicely and I thought wow this is super easy it's going to be my new favorite color. It dried well and I even gave it an hour or so to soak in before going to bed. I woke up in the morning excited to see my color and was horrified to see HUGE STREAKS. And they weren't even "mist" looking streaks, there were definitive LINES in the weirdest areas. I wavered between trying to reapply or just waiting it out. I opted for waiting it out and it has taken more than a week for the patches to go away and they faded horribly. I'm not sure what happened. I was super careful to make sure that I applied it everywhere and evenly, but it showed up in some areas and not in others. Big disappointment.

on 1/30/2010 9:55:00 PM

Love this product. It has serioulsy kept me out of the sun and tanning salons - I know I should reagrdless, but craved that bronze glow. Anyhow, you have to keep the bottle atleast 12 inches away and I usually do two coats to get the desired color (for my vegas trip, I used it everday for about 5 days before my trip) I have probably purchased this prodcut 5 or 6 times in the past year and will continue to do so as long as it is available. I have tried the "level 3" product with less than desired results. It was just the wrong color for me. So I suggest trying the different shades to find out which one works for you.

on 9/24/2009 11:40:00 AM

I'm a striped orange zebra. And I smell of nasty chemicals. That's going to go over well at work.

The first time I used this, my boyfriend sprayed it all over me. It didn't show up at all.

I tried using it on myself last night, and I woke up with striped orange legs. After trying to scrub it off in the shower and failing, I dabbed on the formula in the glaring white spots. Hopefully that helps.

The spray idea is cute and all, but impractical because you can't see what areas you've covered. Stick with Dove Energy Glow.

on 6/29/2009 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I don't understand why the bad reviews??? I have been using this product for the past 3 years and I don't have problems with smell, streaks, or color. I have fairly light skin and just a quick spray on my face (every other day) gives me a beautiful color!! It comes off evenly also. I have tried expensive self tanners and I always end up going back to this one....

on 7/12/2008 12:57:00 PM

I have medium skin. Love to just spray a little bit on my legs before heading out in a skirt. Looks really natural. I tan very easily but have been trying to stay out of the sun. This looks a lot like my normal tan. The smell is ok, a little chemicall-ish but my husband seems to like it. I've noticed that a few days later it leaves some blotches but for a one-time use, it's great.

Best spray tanner I've ever used! Blows my expensive ModelCo Tan in a Can out of the water and It's 10 bucks! The spray is very even, it does not streak or stink, and the colour is a real tan, not orange. I recommend the 2nd one, the medium to dark, even on fair skin. Oh and the best part-this stuff dries completely in like 60 seconds and its oil-free, no greasy afterfeel. In 5 minutes you can't even tell you put anything on your skin, it's like water. I'm acne prone and spray a layer over my face every other day for a month and not one pimple!

on 5/27/2008 6:24:00 PM

This review is for the dark. I'm not pleased with this product at all. It gives very blotchy results, even when rubbed in. I've even tried mixing it with body lotion before applying - this helps, but then the color doesn't stay as long. It does give nice color, I'll give it that, but it's very hit or miss on the application.

on 5/14/2008 12:19:00 PM

I am undecided whether I wil buy this again. It is a very easy to use spray self-tanner that comes in several shades. I didn't like the way the can kept slipping out of my hands as I was applying it, but a couple of rubber bands around the body of the can helped enormously. The color was quite natural looking, although patchy. The patchiness was from my poor technique, not necessarily the product itself. I decided that I would apply this while stood in the shower cubicle. I soon realised that I didn't have enough room to manouvre myself to get an even tan, and the fumes were overpowering! I have trouble with cream self-tanners staining my heels and toes. A review mentioned that this spray doesn't do this, and so I may repurchase because of this. Not a bad product, but I will be able to give a better review once I have applied it properly! continued >>