Shu Uemura Liquid Eye Liner - Black

Shu Uemura Liquid Eye Liner - Black

3.9

Aqua (Water), Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, BIS-PEG/PPG-16/16 PEG-16/16 Dimethicone, Sorbitol, Laureth-2 Benzoate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Ammonium Hydroxide, Sodium Cocoyl Apple Amino Acids, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sodium Polyacrylate, Coconut Acid, Hexylene Glycol, Trisodium Edta, Sodium Chloride, Disodium Edta, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Methylparaben, Potassium Sorbate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

on 11/4/2013 9:29:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is an easy, but sad review to write. Despite its elegant packaging and eco-friendly refills, this product does NOT work and has been designed & built by people making a dreadful mistake. You can't even apply the liner because it's so poorly made, so what else is there?
(Go find a LancĂ´me or Stila liquid liner, but don't buy this.)

I am a HUGE shu uemura loyalist. and i do NOT like this liquid liner. i'm also a big liquid liner fan... the makeup artists at my counter really use a lot of this liner when they put false eyelashes on to help keep them in place.

first of all, this is a "refillable" product meaning it's like a fancy ink pen you can buy refils for. i'm not sure if this is what causes my major complaint... but, it could.

the liner just does not flow out of this product. it seriously does not come out. the tip of this brush is literally a brush (but stands at a point like a felt-tip liner). if it flowed out better, i might like it.

but now that it's empty, i do use to to push my false eyelashes into place before i reline my eye after the glue is dry!

on 6/2/2014 4:27:00 PM

Excellent quality pen packaging however , for me, this eyeliner just didn't work well, I'm normally a long term fan of Shu's products but this pen just dried up quickly and didn't draw a clean line for me. I think you have to store it ink facing down so when you come to press the button to release the ink it will flow out quickly but I kept it in my makeup bag and when I had to use it it was always dry and I had to wait until it flows downwards. Stopped using this product but the packaging it fancy. thought it was rather expensive altogether.

When I first bought this eyeliner, I loved it. Used it everyday, no dramas. Then after a couple of months, the eyeliner started to streak/run out. I used the product often and I thought I must've used it up so I went to the Shu Uemura counter to buy a refill. The guy told me that I still had heaps left and all I needed to do was wash the inside as it's apparently become congested. I did what he told me and the brush tip took days to fully dry. Then finally after clicking a thousand times, some eyeliner came out but it was still streaky. I stopped using it and waited a couple of days.. Then when I opened it again, I found that it had started leaking. I have no idea if it's me or the eyeliner or the advice from the SA but I am not happy with this product and do not recommend it.

on 6/27/2012 6:34:00 PM

I have been using this eyeliner for a month now and am finally accepting that it does not and will not work for me. I'll briefly summarise my experience:

Pros:
(1) Beautiful packaging - sleek black pen with a screw top cap to ensure no leakage
(2) Enviro (and future spending) friendly with the reusable pen only needing replacement catridges
(3) Nice brush tip which is solid enough not to flick everywhere but soft enough for the sensitive eyelid skin
(4) If you get it on, it does last the whole day (10 hours for me)

Cons: - Only one but its a BIG FAIL as an eyeliner
It doesn't go on smoothly!! This is my key frustration with this eyeliner. It streaks and you have to go over the line several times - which you can't really do either because each time you go over it, you wipe off what's already there! Its beyond frustrating. On top of that the little streaks that remain when dry, flake off and stick to the pen. I honestly spend more than 10 minutes every time I attempt to use this eyeliner which is too much time in the mornings before work.

I have honestly tried everything from washing my face with a cleanser before application (remove oil from my lids) to storing the pen upside down to warming the pen (better liquid flow?), to pumping like a maniac before use etc but nothing really gets it to work perfectly. At best it goes on quite alright on one eye but then returns to misbehaving with the other eye.

For such an expensive pen from a well reputed company I had expected a lot more. Makeup / Skin care doesn't always work for everyone so perhaps I might have just been unlucky.

On a side note, I have oily lids which get pretty oily throughout the day but so far the two eyeliners which have worked best for me are:
(1) Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof - waterproof, long lasting, easy to apply but not the best for fine lines
(2) Koji Dolly Wink (deep black) - capable of the finest lines, long lasting and absolutely no smudging, no streaking, no flaking and provides the smoothest application!! My only gripe is that it isn't waterproof for me so I'm still on the hunt for a HG eyeliner.

I'm always on the lookout for a great eyeliner (liquid, gel, pencil) so I was eager to try this one from Shu since they have such a great reputation. You purchase the "pen" and the eyeliner comes in a little ink tube, much like a fountain pen, and is purchased separately. There's a button to push on the end of the pen that dispenses the liner into the applicator tip. The sales lady at Neiman assured me that this was waterproof (supposedly all their eyeliners are). My eyes water a lot, due to allergies or yawning, and this stuff didn't last 30 minutes. The color is very inconsistent - I found it to be very light on my eyes, but would show up just fine on my hand. Just minutes after applying I'd see little black flakes "chipping" off.

I'm returning this today - so not worth it.

PS - This only comes in black.

on 2/28/2008 7:50:00 PM

i really want to say i love this product but i just cant because i have use a very very good eyeliner from japan. I went to buy this eyeliner because i was search for something similar to my japan eyeliner.. but it jz couldnt compare at all. one thing is that its not dark enough when i put it on, but its fine when i put in on my hand.. and the ink doesnt always come out right too. Oh well, i guess i'll use my gel eyeliner.. not as convenient..but way better than this. This product does have a up, its very easy to get off, just use a little water and it comes off. Although it does come off easy, it does stay put if you use a concealer on your eyelid before you put the eyeliner on.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This review is for the refillable liner in black. I wish I could give it a better review, as it does have some good qualities. The best part is the bush and the packaging. The brush is brilliantly designed to give very fine application. The trouble is the formula, which applies way too lightly (as in pale, not deep black-- you have to layer but then it starts to skip) and it not the least bit water-resistant on my skin (it's somehow more water resistant on my hand, which presumably is not that oily. I have oily eyelids). In my current makeup mode, I am using this to fairly good affect on my upper lid for a winged look, but I can't use it on my lower lash line at all. It applies better over cream shadow than anything else (bare skin or powder shadow), and lasts fairly well on the upper lid. But its just not versatile enough for me to justify the price, despite its couple strong points. Shu could improve it by making the pigments denser and more waterproof-- then it would be perfect.

Could this product suck any more!? NO! It's not possible, Wet'n Wild eyeliner could probably put this to shame. I got all excited over the lovely packaging and its just so neat. But that's where the quality stops. The formula truly couldn't be any worse. I think I could concoct a better one in my kitchen. I've been using BB gel liner for 2 yrs. I like it, but I miss innovative, convenient packaging, so I got this. First of all, it doesn't have NEARLY enough pigment. When you use a product like this, obviously you are looking for a nice precise black liner, not something sheer. So then I tried to put another layer, but it doesnt really layer, it just wipes off whatever you just applied and deposits it somewhere else. It looks so splotchy and uneven. And I have mad skills with applying liquid liner, but this was a joke. One time, I managed to get a semi decent line, but its odd, because its like shiny or something, and it just looks strange. Later in the day it cracked and flaked off in chunks and looked absurd. I honestly have no idea how this recieved a score higher than 1.

on 7/29/2009 12:11:00 AM

This is water resistant. It only comes off if you rub it. No transfer at all otherwise. Only problem is using it. It gets clogged up. I figured out that you have to wet the tip to get the ink running again after it dries. Also this is super expensive but i love the brush. It's really soft so it doesn't pull on your eyelids. Also you can control to create a thick or thin line. the color is nice and dark. But sometimes when you draw on the line a second time, the line disappears but its better than hourglass (due to the better brush). Hourglass pulls on my skin.