shu uemura Liquid Eye Liner - Black

shu uemura Liquid Eye Liner - Black

3.9

Aqua (Water), Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, BIS-PEG/PPG-16/16 PEG-16/16 Dimethicone, Sorbitol, Laureth-2 Benzoate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Ammonium Hydroxide, Sodium Cocoyl Apple Amino Acids, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sodium Polyacrylate, Coconut Acid, Hexylene Glycol, Trisodium Edta, Sodium Chloride, Disodium Edta, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Methylparaben, Potassium Sorbate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

My unrivaled HG eyeliner!!!!

Price: $33 USD ($18 for empty pen, $15 for ink cartridge)

I have oily asian eyelids, and it seemed like every eyeliner I used after about 8 hours would give me raccoon eyes underneath my eyes - MAC Fluidline, BB gel liner, pencils... you name it and it would smudge eventually. I tried every solution I could think of - UDPP as a base, changing to powder concealers to reduce "slip" and still, 8 hours seemed to be my eyeliner "limit" =P But then I found this eyeliner! The price on this seems a bit steep, but after using it for over a year, every day and only needing to replace the ink cartridge after about 7 months, this is totally worth it and ends up not being that expensive!

The brush pen took a pit of practice to get used to, but I have complete control and precision with it. I get a perfect black line every time, and used on top of the UDPP it has never given me raccoon eyes, even when I have to stay up for 26 hrs at a time for work! My eye makeup looks just as good as when I applied it - even if I take a 5 hr nap wearing it.

When you run out of the cartridge, make sure to give the pen and brush tip a good wash with soap and warm water to clean it and ensure good ink flow. I am in love with this liquid liner pen and I've got my sister (who has a single-fold Asian eyelid... notoriously difficult to find non-smudging makeup for!) hooked on this too!

When I first bought this eyeliner, I loved it. Used it everyday, no dramas. Then after a couple of months, the eyeliner started to streak/run out. I used the product often and I thought I must've used it up so I went to the Shu Uemura counter to buy a refill. The guy told me that I still had heaps left and all I needed to do was wash the inside as it's apparently become congested. I did what he told me and the brush tip took days to fully dry. Then finally after clicking a thousand times, some eyeliner came out but it was still streaky. I stopped using it and waited a couple of days.. Then when I opened it again, I found that it had started leaking. I have no idea if it's me or the eyeliner or the advice from the SA but I am not happy with this product and do not recommend it.

on 6/27/2012 6:34:00 PM

I have been using this eyeliner for a month now and am finally accepting that it does not and will not work for me. I'll briefly summarise my experience:

Pros:
(1) Beautiful packaging - sleek black pen with a screw top cap to ensure no leakage
(2) Enviro (and future spending) friendly with the reusable pen only needing replacement catridges
(3) Nice brush tip which is solid enough not to flick everywhere but soft enough for the sensitive eyelid skin
(4) If you get it on, it does last the whole day (10 hours for me)

Cons: - Only one but its a BIG FAIL as an eyeliner
It doesn't go on smoothly!! This is my key frustration with this eyeliner. It streaks and you have to go over the line several times - which you can't really do either because each time you go over it, you wipe off what's already there! Its beyond frustrating. On top of that the little streaks that remain when dry, flake off and stick to the pen. I honestly spend more than 10 minutes every time I attempt to use this eyeliner which is too much time in the mornings before work.

I have honestly tried everything from washing my face with a cleanser before application (remove oil from my lids) to storing the pen upside down to warming the pen (better liquid flow?), to pumping like a maniac before use etc but nothing really gets it to work perfectly. At best it goes on quite alright on one eye but then returns to misbehaving with the other eye.

For such an expensive pen from a well reputed company I had expected a lot more. Makeup / Skin care doesn't always work for everyone so perhaps I might have just been unlucky.

On a side note, I have oily lids which get pretty oily throughout the day but so far the two eyeliners which have worked best for me are:
(1) Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof - waterproof, long lasting, easy to apply but not the best for fine lines
(2) Koji Dolly Wink (deep black) - capable of the finest lines, long lasting and absolutely no smudging, no streaking, no flaking and provides the smoothest application!! My only gripe is that it isn't waterproof for me so I'm still on the hunt for a HG eyeliner.

on 7/2/2010 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My HG was the shiseido liner, but it has been difficult to find the Black 001 refills for it so i tried this. Compared to the Shiseido the Shu is a bit thicker and a bit more matte, however i believe it is water resistant unlike the shiseido, thats a plus. What i don't like is the brush, it is harder to draw thinner lines and doesn't keep its shape as well and the Shiseido. I did some experimenting and discovered the the brush part of the Shiseido fits into the Shu pen and so do the Shu refills :) Now i just hope the pump reaches the refill beacuse the shiseido brush part is slightly shorter. I store the pen upside down so i never have to pump it, but i imagine it might be a problem when i get a new refill. I shall update.

on 5/3/2010 9:27:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This was the first eye liquid eye liner I used since switching from pencil.
I tend to like shu uemura things, and the fact that you just need to change the cartridge was a plus for me.

The ink was smooth at first, but started to get a little hard to put on once the ink started clotting on the brush which was really frustrating. What would happen is that I would have one eye with a nice line and the other one being too light and patchy. I really did like it when it worked normally, but it was just too frustrating so I went and tried gel liners instead.

Even with the past experience I eventually went back to this eye liner as I have heavy eye-lids which gets oily. With gel liners unless I use a dark eye shadow with it it will smudge noticeably. Since I started to wear make-up to work everyday and went for the minimal using just eyeliner (and mascara) on the eyes, it didn't work.
I tried a few different eye liners and found that this one didn't smudge at all and stayed for pretty much most of the day.
Only thing is it tends to rub off when my eyes starts tearing up and its happening a lot these few weeks since I have a cold. But other than that as long as I'm patient and put the eye liner slowly and steadily it works great.
Not sure about using it over eye shadow, but its good on its own.

on 7/29/2009 12:11:00 AM

This is water resistant. It only comes off if you rub it. No transfer at all otherwise. Only problem is using it. It gets clogged up. I figured out that you have to wet the tip to get the ink running again after it dries. Also this is super expensive but i love the brush. It's really soft so it doesn't pull on your eyelids. Also you can control to create a thick or thin line. the color is nice and dark. But sometimes when you draw on the line a second time, the line disappears but its better than hourglass (due to the better brush). Hourglass pulls on my skin.

I'm always on the lookout for a great eyeliner (liquid, gel, pencil) so I was eager to try this one from Shu since they have such a great reputation. You purchase the "pen" and the eyeliner comes in a little ink tube, much like a fountain pen, and is purchased separately. There's a button to push on the end of the pen that dispenses the liner into the applicator tip. The sales lady at Neiman assured me that this was waterproof (supposedly all their eyeliners are). My eyes water a lot, due to allergies or yawning, and this stuff didn't last 30 minutes. The color is very inconsistent - I found it to be very light on my eyes, but would show up just fine on my hand. Just minutes after applying I'd see little black flakes "chipping" off.

I'm returning this today - so not worth it.

PS - This only comes in black.

I have been using liquid eyeliner for years and this is the best one I have come across. When I was much younger I used the various drugstore brands, and they worked fine but too more effort to get a perfect line. Before this I used Christian Dior's liquid eyeliner and I loved it--except for the way the brush would wear terribly and before I'd run out the brush would be too splayed to draw a neat line. The brush on this is fantastic and I noticed that if it does get a little light in color, I just need to lightly rinse and wipe (as a previous poster mentioned), then click for more ink and it works like new. I think the other people who didn't find the line opaque enough may not have clicked enough out of the brush initially. And today I learned that this works on the inner rims--another way to wear it--yay! It worked great, so I don't have to use my Laura Mercier cake liner and brush (although now I have both, hm). This is so easy to use--definitely my hg liner for now :)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Love this product! Im a bit of a eye liner junkie and believe me ive tried it all. Usually what i looking for in a liquid eye liner is staying power and a real true black. Which can be kinda difficult to come by seeing as though either its a nice dark black but it runs away in minutes or it stays wonderfully but its just to sheer. But this refillable eyeliner so makes the best of both worlds! I was originially going to buy the shisiedo refillable liquid liner in black but first it was almost impossible to find, all i could get ahold of in nordstoms was a light greyish black but not the true black which they do make. AND on top of that it had NO staying power what so ever. Which im so dissapointed in Shisiedo about..tisk tisk. Anyway, Shu's is sooo much better! I have asian double eyelid and it NEVER gives me an extra line in my flappie AND the color is a true black. I see someone left a review below about it being to sheer. Im thinking maybe she got the greyish black which they do make and not the true black. Or maybe she didnt click the pen enough to fill the chamber, or maybe didnt shake enough. Because when i use it i get beautiful black pen point lines! (in one stroke :) To comment on the price now, $30 something may seem pricey but its refillable and the refills are only $11. Thats not bad and your also not wasting..I even like this one so much i might even venture over to brown liquid for my more natural days. hope my review helped!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This review is for the refillable liner in black. I wish I could give it a better review, as it does have some good qualities. The best part is the bush and the packaging. The brush is brilliantly designed to give very fine application. The trouble is the formula, which applies way too lightly (as in pale, not deep black-- you have to layer but then it starts to skip) and it not the least bit water-resistant on my skin (it's somehow more water resistant on my hand, which presumably is not that oily. I have oily eyelids). In my current makeup mode, I am using this to fairly good affect on my upper lid for a winged look, but I can't use it on my lower lash line at all. It applies better over cream shadow than anything else (bare skin or powder shadow), and lasts fairly well on the upper lid. But its just not versatile enough for me to justify the price, despite its couple strong points. Shu could improve it by making the pigments denser and more waterproof-- then it would be perfect.