NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl
Enter TitleVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlNars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

4.7

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in "Dragon girl" is a vibrant, blue based red lip color in the form of a pencil/crayon, which leaves a smooth and very pigmented finish! Since the texture is quite dry and very matte, I recommend exfoliating and moisturizing lips well before applying (but really...that goes for any lipcolor in any shape or form). I would also recommend applying the product on top of a non-greasy base (meaning - not DIRECTLY applied on top of lip balm, vaseline etc) for maximum staying power. If used with a thin layer of (e.g. mattifying) powder as a base/regular lip primer, it applies evenly and stays put with no smudging for hours! The texture is what I would call "non-creamy" but the product applies just as well as a regular creamy lipstick, it is non-drying on the lips and has a unique velvety matte finish which looks absolutely flawless after just one application. Also, this color is just as pigmented as any given Nars or MAC lipstick out there

I find that the deep, vibrant red color is flattering for all skin tones and I personally (olive skin tone) find this color easier to pull off than the warmer, orange-based red color of the Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in "Red Square". Definitely my favorite red lip color along with MAC's Lady Danger (closer to the color of "Red Square" but a creamy lipstick and much brighter!) and Ruby Woo - and I think all three products are must-haves for any fan of red lipstick!

on 11/1/2012 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love the color! And, even though I don't usually like fat chunky pencils, the shape does make it easy to apply.

This shade is very similar to Chanel Rouge Coco #31 Cambon. It maybe looks a little darker than Cambon, but that is due to it being matte.

Dragon Girl stays on MUCH better than Cambon :) I am impressed with its lasting power.

I am uploading a photo with Dragon Girl and Cambon swatched on my hand for comparison.

on 2/23/2012 5:28:00 AM

I'm in LOVE with this lippie. I have MAC's Russian Red and Ruby Woo but I think dragon girl has a pinkier tint to it. Its much brighter than ruby woo but doesnt have as strong as a blue base as russian red. Its kind of in between but when I wear this I cant stop looking in the mirror. Its great to put on when you dont want to wear too much makeup or do much to your eyes as this really gives you a "polished" look. I think this pencil is a little pricey but in terms of pigmentation and wear, its a great quality. So far I have had no issues with bleeding. A must have if you love statement lips!!

on 3/20/2014 8:22:00 AM

Everytime I wear this I get several compliments with everyone always asking me what I've got on my lips! Extremely long wearing, it's rarely leaves a print on my wine glass, where my other friends are constantly topping their lipstick I never have to when I'm wearing this. Really recommend using Chapstick 15mins before applying dragon girl and using a lipliner for the precise application (I use MAC cherry). Hate thing I don't like is the pencil formula, however this will not stop me buying in the future

on 9/17/2012 2:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I love this lipstick so much! This is a perfect bold statement red lip on me. Forreference I am Nw45, Revlon Cappuccino, L'Oreal Mahogany. This looks like a pin-up red lip on me. Will repurchase forever and ever!

As a worshipper of the Church of Red Lips for nearly half a decade now, I've decided I have to have this as soon as every magazine and blogger started singing its praises. I've to wait for quite a while because it was sold out for several months in my country, apparently due to the avid Taylor Swift fans (this is the shade she wore on her Blank Space music video). Imagine my surprise when I finally tried it on and saw that it pulled very pinkish red on me and my pale, yellow-undertoned complexion. I guess I expected it to be more...Dragon Red? Anyway, I've grown to like this color. It's unlike any of the reds in my current arsenal, which is its strength, I suppose. Staying power is good and the finish is comfortable on my lips, but bearing in my mind that I do slather some Lucas Papaw ointment on my lips several minutes before I apply this. Love that it's travel-friendly. Gripes: a. I had to buy the special-sized Nars sharpener for this; b. I hate seeing how much product is wasted whenever I sharpen this; c. The cap has the tendency to come off when inside a makeup bag with other products. I was recently gifted with Cruella so I'll update on which of the two I'd prefer to repurchase once they get worn to the nub.

on 5/30/2013 7:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The color is pretty, but didn't seem to bring my face alive (NW20, almost black hair, brown eyes). It did not look bad at all, but for this much money, I want one of those great shades that just brings everything together effortlessly. Also, I was disappointed in the pencil itself. I went through every Nars lip pencil thing they had and this was one of two colors that interested me. I chose this one because it was matte and I thought would make a lovely stain type of product. But it smeared...every where. I would apply it and it went on much brighter on my face than the swatch I did on my hand. I had to be careful applying it. But even with lip liner this created a fuzzy lip line. And the product didn't "stay" like I expected. It was more smeary than an average lipstick. All in all, it was too much mediocrity for the money. I had to return it.

Dragon Girl is the perfect red! It was recommended to me by a NARS rep at my local Sephora and firstly i was rather hesitant because it seemed to me too bright and cool toned for my NC15 warm skintone but when i saw myself in the mirror i was stunned. It´s a gorgeous cherry red sade that made my skintone pop. It applies like a dream and it can be applied lightly as a stain. It´s a matte product so it can feel a tad dry but with a little bit of lip balm underneath i´m fine.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The best red lipstick out there. If you have fair skin and love blue-based reds, this is a must have. I've never used any lipstick to the hilt as much as I did with this one. It applies nice and even and makes my teeth whiter. This is my favorite red lipstick.

It is tad bit drying towards the end, but it's quite like that for all matte lipsticks. I wish it was a twist-up though, because I don't like sharpening pencils and for some reason, any other sharpener that isn't NARS don't work on this one.

Repurchasing, for sure!

on 3/26/2015 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This product definitely lives up to the NARS reputation. It goes on smoothly, is bold, bright, matte, opaque, and has great staying power. I bought it from Sephora.com and the color isn't exactly what was advertised -- It's more of a pinky red than the red red classic shade I was looking for -- but I'm inclined to purchase it in other colors based on my experience with Dragon Girl, even if I wasn't a huge fan of the color.