NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl
Enter TitleVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlNars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

4.7

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

This product is amazing. It was the first red I tried on my lips and it looks so good. It is not intimidating at all for a red lipstick, as it has some pink in it. It also makes my teeth look whiter.

The formula isn't as drying as I though it was going to be, but I wore eos lip balm underneath. It stayed all day on my lips without smudging, but of course I had to retouch it a bit on the inside of my lips after eating, which i find completely normal. It didn't looked weird though.

The packaging is really good because as it is a pencil, it makes everything easier, which is great because I find difficult to apply red lipstick perfectly.

The only bad thing about this product is the price tag, but it lasts so long and looks so good that it makes it a little bit more reasonable.

Overall I would recommend this to everyone that his looking for a red lipstick that will not smudge and is flattering.

Dragon Girl is the perfect red! It was recommended to me by a NARS rep at my local Sephora and firstly i was rather hesitant because it seemed to me too bright and cool toned for my NC15 warm skintone but when i saw myself in the mirror i was stunned. It´s a gorgeous cherry red sade that made my skintone pop. It applies like a dream and it can be applied lightly as a stain. It´s a matte product so it can feel a tad dry but with a little bit of lip balm underneath i´m fine.

As a worshipper of the Church of Red Lips for nearly half a decade now, I've decided I have to have this as soon as every magazine and blogger started singing its praises. I've to wait for quite a while because it was sold out for several months in my country, apparently due to the avid Taylor Swift fans (this is the shade she wore on her Blank Space music video). Imagine my surprise when I finally tried it on and saw that it pulled very pinkish red on me and my pale, yellow-undertoned complexion. I guess I expected it to be more...Dragon Red? Anyway, I've grown to like this color. It's unlike any of the reds in my current arsenal, which is its strength, I suppose. Staying power is good and the finish is comfortable on my lips, but bearing in my mind that I do slather some Lucas Papaw ointment on my lips several minutes before I apply this. Love that it's travel-friendly. Gripes: a. I had to buy the special-sized Nars sharpener for this; b. I hate seeing how much product is wasted whenever I sharpen this; c. The cap has the tendency to come off when inside a makeup bag with other products. I was recently gifted with Cruella so I'll update on which of the two I'd prefer to repurchase once they get worn to the nub.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The best red lipstick out there. If you have fair skin and love blue-based reds, this is a must have. I've never used any lipstick to the hilt as much as I did with this one. It applies nice and even and makes my teeth whiter. This is my favorite red lipstick.

It is tad bit drying towards the end, but it's quite like that for all matte lipsticks. I wish it was a twist-up though, because I don't like sharpening pencils and for some reason, any other sharpener that isn't NARS don't work on this one.

Repurchasing, for sure!

on 3/26/2015 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This product definitely lives up to the NARS reputation. It goes on smoothly, is bold, bright, matte, opaque, and has great staying power. I bought it from Sephora.com and the color isn't exactly what was advertised -- It's more of a pinky red than the red red classic shade I was looking for -- but I'm inclined to purchase it in other colors based on my experience with Dragon Girl, even if I wasn't a huge fan of the color.

on 3/23/2015 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I finally did it. I finally bought Dragon Girl. After falling in love with Cruella, Walkyrie, and Never Say Never, I decided to drop the dollars and pick up this iconic shade. For a long time, I'd strayed from blue-based reds because I wanted that bright, fire engine red with orange undertones that always seemed to stand out on camera. DG remained woefully overlooked as a result.
But then I swatched it. And hold the phone! This pulled beyond blue-red on me. It morphed into the most gorgeous red-pink I'd ever seen! Needless to say, I bought it immediately.
The formula is consistent with the whole of the range (short of Train Bleu, which I still own because I can't bring myself to admit that it doesn't work for me) in that it glides on smoothly and effortlessly, delivering one-swipe opacity without loads of tugging. I don't find it to be drying on my perpetually parched lips, but it's certainly not hydrating either. It's matte. What do you expect?
But man, is this stuff weightless! It wears like a second skin on my lips, drenching them in color without feeling heavy or waxy. There's some transfer onto my coffee cup, but not so much that it drives me mad or anything. And it lasts SO LONG. This stuff really hangs on for dear life.
My only gripe is with the packaging. At $26USD a pop, it's criminal that these don't retract, but instead need to be sharpened, which wastes product. Uncool, NARS. Super uncool.
But I'll still purchase these pencils because they are phenomenal. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, the packaging is less than ideal. But the colors are amazing and always on trend and the formula is fantastic. Sometimes, that's the best you can hope for.

on 1/1/2015 8:44:00 PM

I am not going to mince my words here, this colour is amazing. I am currently going through a red lipstick phase and have purchased many red lipsticks the past few weeks. This is hands down my favourite. The colour is exactly how they've described it; vibrant red. It has a way of making my Asian skin glow and my teeth extra white.

I highly recommentd this and will definitely repurchase!

I've been using Nars lip pencils for a few years now, but I've always stuck with the satin, hydrating formulas. I purchased my first matte pencil in the color Dragon Girl and I have to say that I love it. The product is easy to use/easy to draw on and the color stays on all day. I find that most matte lipsticks leave my lips looking chapped and cracked, but if you prime your lips with a dash of chapstick, blot it off, then apply - this color does the perfect trick.

I've been trying to get out of my comfort zone of pinky nude shades (faves include: Revlon balm stain in honey, Illamasqua's Climax and Guerlain's Gemma.) After a disappointing experience with MAC's Russian Red, I steered clear of reds. Until I saw Dragon Girl. I was torn between this or Cruella. Not gonna lie, bought it partly because it reminds me of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo lol. It's described as a "siren red." With my NC30 skin and black hair, it adds instant glam to my face without much effort. I was complimented by several people when I wore this today and it prompted me to write this review! I have dry lips with Blistex lip medex being my saving grace. First I apply one layer of Dragon Girl on my lips (it's seriously pigmented!), then use a lip brush to apply a bit of Blistex to the center of my lips and finally use a bit of Nars radiant creamy concealer with a brush to clean up the edges. I don't use a lip liner, the matte formulation allows the colour to stay put. I had this on for almost 12 hours today and had two meals, drank plenty of water and did no touch-ups and the colour only faded a bit on the center of my bottom lip. I was pleasantly surprised by how non-drying it is, despite the matte formula. This is quickly becoming my HG red. My only gripe about this product is the price, it's currently $31 CAD for 0.086 oz and yes, product does get wasted because it requires sharpening. But I suppose it's better to pay for a product that gets lots of love than to have it abandoned in a makeup drawer...

on 7/1/2014 2:58:00 PM