NARS Cosmetics Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl

Filtered by skin type : Combination
NARS Cosmetics Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl
Enter TitleVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlNars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

4.6

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

Let me start by saying this is the shade that I've been searching for. It's the perfect blue based red, with a pinky undertone. As a matter of fact, I prefer it to Cruella for the sheer fact that I feel that it flatters my pale skin a bit better.

Plus, being that it's in pencil form, it makes it incredibly convenient to use.

But, like Cruella, the formula feathers like mad. It's disappointing because the color is so incredibly gorgeous.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

This product is amazing. It was the first red I tried on my lips and it looks so good. It is not intimidating at all for a red lipstick, as it has some pink in it. It also makes my teeth look whiter.

The formula isn't as drying as I though it was going to be, but I wore eos lip balm underneath. It stayed all day on my lips without smudging, but of course I had to retouch it a bit on the inside of my lips after eating, which i find completely normal. It didn't looked weird though.

The packaging is really good because as it is a pencil, it makes everything easier, which is great because I find difficult to apply red lipstick perfectly.

The only bad thing about this product is the price tag, but it lasts so long and looks so good that it makes it a little bit more reasonable.

Overall I would recommend this to everyone that his looking for a red lipstick that will not smudge and is flattering.

As a worshipper of the Church of Red Lips for nearly half a decade now, I've decided I have to have this as soon as every magazine and blogger started singing its praises. I've to wait for quite a while because it was sold out for several months in my country, apparently due to the avid Taylor Swift fans (this is the shade she wore on her Blank Space music video). Imagine my surprise when I finally tried it on and saw that it pulled very pinkish red on me and my pale, yellow-undertoned complexion. I guess I expected it to be more...Dragon Red? Anyway, I've grown to like this color. It's unlike any of the reds in my current arsenal, which is its strength, I suppose. Staying power is good and the finish is comfortable on my lips, but bearing in my mind that I do slather some Lucas Papaw ointment on my lips several minutes before I apply this. Love that it's travel-friendly. Gripes: a. I had to buy the special-sized Nars sharpener for this; b. I hate seeing how much product is wasted whenever I sharpen this; c. The cap has the tendency to come off when inside a makeup bag with other products. I was recently gifted with Cruella so I'll update on which of the two I'd prefer to repurchase once they get worn to the nub.

on 9/12/2015 1:53:00 PM

This, along with Ruby Woo, is one of those colors I bought and after I put it on, felt like I was taking crazy pills. Red? How is this red? It is a dark, cool, bright pink. It is very nice and fun and bright, but not red. Maybe it works as a red if you have a dark red or orangey liner underneath to counter the pink, but on its own, it is a dark pink.

That being said, I do like it. It is a matte color that is comfortable and stays on. It is a nice enough color. I do prefer it to Ruby Woo, honestly, because it is more pink rather than wishy washy half red. I probably would not buy again because it will last forever, and if I do lose it, I have other bright pinks I like. I say try Urban Decay 69 if you are looking for a more red version of this.

on 8/12/2015 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I got a Nars velvet matte lip pencil and a satin one as well for my birthday, and liked it so much that I went to Sephora to pick up a velvet matte in a bright red. Dragon Girl is orangey-red, and on yellow undertone skin, it's more red than orange. It goes on smooth and binds instantly - good luck trying to get it off again! You do need to make sure your lips are well exfoliated because otherwise the pencil nature of it will pick up any imperfections. I usually put on a colorless SPF15 lip balm (Neutrogena or EOS), let it dry, and then put on this lip pencil. You are not going to get an exact line unless you keep your pencil super sharp all the time; I usually get a feathered edge because I wear my tip down before I remember to sharpen (I also bought the Nars pencil sharpener specifically for my growing collection of these matte lip pencils). After using these, I will never go back to wearing traditional lipsticks again - I have way more control with these, and I love how smooth yet matte these look. The packaging is very straight forward - it's a capped pencil after all, but for the price I don't care!

on 4/30/2015 11:57:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I recently purchased this. I am a HUGE lover of red lip colors; glosses, balms, sticks and now these pencils. As I'm "middle-aged", I tend to stay away from the matte lippies, although I do love the long-wear qualities of them. So, I purchased this and the NARS Mexican Rose Gloss stick to use on top of it. What a combo! And I get such nice, red, low-gloss lips for a very long time. Although having to sharpen the pencils isn't optimal, I do love the product! Highly recommend!

on 1/9/2015 12:46:00 PM

This is my shortest pencil yet! It's turning into a tiny little nub, and I need to repurchase it within this year.

I bought this back in 2011, and I still have 1/3 or 1/4 of it remaining. I bring this out for music concerts, late night events, out to dinners, and whenever I feel like it.

It's formula is long lasting, matte, and not killer-dry (like some MAC Retro Mattes literally have me weeping in physical pain. I did not realize this was possible for a lipstick to do.)

I usually have to only touch up once in one outing, if at all (at the corners of the lips usually.) It's opaque in one swipe, not painful to apply, and as the name says, a velvet matte pencil that I adore the bright cherry colour of!

on 1/1/2015 8:44:00 PM

I am not going to mince my words here, this colour is amazing. I am currently going through a red lipstick phase and have purchased many red lipsticks the past few weeks. This is hands down my favourite. The colour is exactly how they've described it; vibrant red. It has a way of making my Asian skin glow and my teeth extra white.

I highly recommentd this and will definitely repurchase!

I've been using Nars lip pencils for a few years now, but I've always stuck with the satin, hydrating formulas. I purchased my first matte pencil in the color Dragon Girl and I have to say that I love it. The product is easy to use/easy to draw on and the color stays on all day. I find that most matte lipsticks leave my lips looking chapped and cracked, but if you prime your lips with a dash of chapstick, blot it off, then apply - this color does the perfect trick.

I'm a red lipstick addict! I've a drawer practically filled to the brim with every shade/style out there. But this one is my ABSOLUTE favorite. The color is stunning, there's really no comparison. The texture-while a bit dry-is the perfect matte. It stays on FOREVER, doesn't bleed, and is easy to apply. If I had to criticize this product at all, it would be, of course, for the price…yikes…and the pencil itself. I really wish it were easier to sharpen. I have a very high end sharpener from Aveda which normally works wonders on my other pencil products…but this Nars pencil is extremely hard to sharpen without it breaking. I've tried putting it in the fridge, I've tried keeping it warm and soft, but nothing seems to work. I've read other reviews that have recommended purchasing the Nars special sharpener…but I really would hate to buy a sharpener JUST for this when I already have one that works on every other pencil product I have. That being said, I would buy this product again. It's worth it to me. I love the compliments I get with this lippy, and highly recommend it to any lovely, lipstick wearing lady/gent out there.