NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl
Enter TitleVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlNars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

4.4

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

on 9/12/2015 1:53:00 PM

This, along with Ruby Woo, is one of those colors I bought and after I put it on, felt like I was taking crazy pills. Red? How is this red? It is a dark, cool, bright pink. It is very nice and fun and bright, but not red. Maybe it works as a red if you have a dark red or orangey liner underneath to counter the pink, but on its own, it is a dark pink.

That being said, I do like it. It is a matte color that is comfortable and stays on. It is a nice enough color. I do prefer it to Ruby Woo, honestly, because it is more pink rather than wishy washy half red. I probably would not buy again because it will last forever, and if I do lose it, I have other bright pinks I like. I say try Urban Decay 69 if you are looking for a more red version of this.

on 12/5/2014 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm not a red lip person at all in any shape or form. I love experimenting with makeup looks and colors but when it comes to a bold lip I just get so self conscious. I have no idea why but I've been that way since I can remember. All my lip product reviews can verify it! They're all for nudes, light pinks, peaches, and pastels. I've played with tons of red lipsticks at different makeup counters, trying on Chanel, Tom Ford, Guerlain, and Burberry... nothing won me over enough for me to commit to a purchase. Even the few that I sort of loved I just couldn't see myself wearing it more than a couple times a year. But I've had this in the back of my mind ever since I saw someone wearing it in a magazine several years ago and after trying it a few times I caved and bought it a few months ago and I have no regrets.

I'm super pale, NW5-10, with blonde hair, light hazel eyes, and small features, fine bones. I feel like this is one of the only reds I've ever tried that's actually flattering on me and doesn't swallow my features whole. I don't feel like I'm playing dress up with someone else's lipstick when I wear this. It suits me somehow. I only wear this with a very minimal face. Just a sheer foundation, some concealer, Mac's Painterly on my eyelids to even them out, Armani Brow Maestro, and maybe some mascara. I let this be the focus of my face.

The color is perfect for my neutral to slightly cool toned skin. It's definitely red on me, but a fresh version of it with that pink undertone. It never appears overly formal or special occasion only, though I'm sure it could easily go that way depending on the rest of my makeup. I love the matte finish because it looks very modern and fresh, especially paired with a dewy foundation.

I guess what draws me to this the most is the ease of it. Just a swipe and it looks youthful, polished without trying too hard, and chicly minimal.

I hate the packaging since it's hard to sharpen and wastes product. I wish it was in a twist up style pencil packaging like Bite's lip pencils. And sometimes it feels a little drying. But otherwise it's wonderful.

I don't wear it a ton, maybe once a week, but it's getting a lot of love and use. I'm feeling more confident with red lips now and I'd love to try some more versions and expand my field a little.

I'm a red lipstick addict! I've a drawer practically filled to the brim with every shade/style out there. But this one is my ABSOLUTE favorite. The color is stunning, there's really no comparison. The texture-while a bit dry-is the perfect matte. It stays on FOREVER, doesn't bleed, and is easy to apply. If I had to criticize this product at all, it would be, of course, for the price…yikes…and the pencil itself. I really wish it were easier to sharpen. I have a very high end sharpener from Aveda which normally works wonders on my other pencil products…but this Nars pencil is extremely hard to sharpen without it breaking. I've tried putting it in the fridge, I've tried keeping it warm and soft, but nothing seems to work. I've read other reviews that have recommended purchasing the Nars special sharpener…but I really would hate to buy a sharpener JUST for this when I already have one that works on every other pencil product I have. That being said, I would buy this product again. It's worth it to me. I love the compliments I get with this lippy, and highly recommend it to any lovely, lipstick wearing lady/gent out there.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Fabulous!

OK, not helpful, I know. But, I love the NARS Velvet Matte pencils. Insanely good staying power. Not overly drying.

Dragon Girl is a great pop of color. I have almost-black hair, very pale (~NW15) skin, and it is fantastic. It's my everyday lipstick right now. (And seriously, when I say everyday, I mean everyday, I put it on after yoga, with just mascara, and feel great.) But I'm really comfortable with bright reds... This is great now in January; come summer, I'll probably switch back to Heat Wave or Red Square.

It doesn't make teeth look yellow, so a nice plus.

on 4/14/2015 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Nars "Dragon Girl" is my go to red lipstick, and I have many, many red lipsticks. If I am having a low self esteem day, all I have to do is put this on and everything is all better. I think empowering is the word I'm looking for. It is a very bright matte pinky red and not for wallflowers. It tends to be a little drying so you will need to wear lip balm underneath. Excellent staying power as well.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This isn't RED, it's more of a pink-red. It's very matte and can be drying. It's kind of similar to Revlon Cherries in the Snow, but not glossy and not as vibrant. I hate that it has to be sharpened!

on 11/5/2014 1:13:00 PM

The shade Dragon Girl wasn't exactly what I expected. It looks more like cool pink on my lips, especially when I haven't layered it. It's still pretty and I'm using it. I love the soft consistency and I would pick that anytime over a glossy finish. It was surprising how thin layer it creates, so making your lips look defined is easy. I wish there were more lipsticks like this. It's necessary to get a big sharpener for this pencil.

on 8/15/2013 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

If you have fair skin with cool undertones and love matte lips, this is the red lipstick for you! I saw a beauty blogger use this and I immediately fell in LOVE with the colour - it's beautiful, sort of a mix between a bright red and a deep pink. I have a hard time finding red lipstick, as I am fair and they can come across too dark (as a result I find them hard to pull off and I end up feeling a bit uncomfortable with them on my lips). For reference I have MAC 'Russian Red' which is another 'cool' red that I like, but it is quite deep and bold, which is sort of intimidating. I have strayed away from wearing it because it's really 'out there', and it can overpower my fair skin.

This shade is amazing. I swatched it in Sephora and I knew it was perfect. When I got home I immediately put it on and was in love! It's the perfect red because it's bold without feeling like the colour is wearing YOU. Don't get me wrong, it is bright but I think it's a great balance of red & pink - I have red hair and I adore how it looks with my hair colour. This is matte but I don't find it super drying and I also don't think it emphasizes any dry skin on your lips like many other matte shades.

My new staple for a gorgeous red lip!!! It doesn't disappoint, however I'd suggest visiting a Sephora or NARS makeup counter to swatch it on your hand or try it on your lips. I think the key to finding the perfect red lip is to get the right undertone to match your skin (cool, neutral, warm, etc). It is $30, which isn't a bargain or anything but NARS makes beautiful makeup so you pay for quality in this case. I'd also recommend checking out all the other shades of NARS 'Velvet Matte Lip Pencils', along with NARS 'Satin Lip Pencils' and NARS 'Velvet Gloss Lip Pencils' as well. Once you buy one, you will be hooked!! :)

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

Holy wow.
I cannot begin to sing my praises about this product enough.
This is a true blue based cherry red with a pink tone that, while is very bright, is amazingly pretty and brings out your facial features.
I am no stranger to bright coloured lips but I was rather surprised at how vibrant this colour was.
The great thing I have to note about this pencil which is its selling point is the lasting power. Where to start? I was wearing this at 10am this morning. It is now 4pm in the afternoon and it has not moved. Not even faded! It does not bleed and is a lovely velvety matte. I did not even wear a lipliner with this baby and it hasn't feathered It does not feel like you are wearing anything and the best part is that it does not dry out my lips, even being a matte.
The chubby pencil might not be everyone's idea of practical but with the right sharpener and making sure the cap is on tight, you have one very wearable and easy to apply red lipstick. How amazing. I really did not expect this much from a matte pencil but will definately be repurchasing and recommending.

It is however very expensive for 2.4g of product- a whopping AUD$50!!!!
However, due to how little you have to apply and how long this lasts I think it is a good investment and will continue to purchase over and over. I can now wear a red lip without having to worry about constant maintenance, yay!!! Absolute love <3
EDIT: the 'lead' of this lipstick pencil somehow broke at the base of the pencil and slid right out the top! This caught me by surprise. Cmon nars, if you're gonna charge me that much for a pencil at least make it sturdy! One lippy off for this, as i can still use it as long as i don't turn it upside down

Dragon Girl is the perfect red! It was recommended to me by a NARS rep at my local Sephora and firstly i was rather hesitant because it seemed to me too bright and cool toned for my NC15 warm skintone but when i saw myself in the mirror i was stunned. It´s a gorgeous cherry red sade that made my skintone pop. It applies like a dream and it can be applied lightly as a stain. It´s a matte product so it can feel a tad dry but with a little bit of lip balm underneath i´m fine.