NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl

NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl
Enter TitleVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlNars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

4.5

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

on 9/24/2014 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this shade so much that I used up my Sephora gift card to get it. There was no way I could stand to pay $34 plus tax for a pencil, but I had to have it. To me it looks like an antique light red with undertones of blue roses. I am in love with it, but on me it is not going on at all creamy and rich looking and glowing, as all the pictures on a web search show it. I was afraid of this when I saw it only came in matte, but there's nothing else like it. After trying it on my hand I went to three stores, and I walked around every display of every single brand from high to low end, trying shades on my hand to find a dupe that was not matte because I have never done well with matte pencils. I did get three other more glossy lipsticks in the blue red range, but they are not the same. So, I found I can put Lancome juicy tubes clear lip gloss on top to add some glow and dimension. It works equally well to put this on top of a similar shade in a creamy formula. It doesn't seem to work just by itself. It is too dry and almost minimizes my lips. The colour is thrilling yet the matte formula is annoying and not pigmented enough. Anyway, highest marks for colour, but I have to lower the rating because I will have to sharpen it and waste some, plus the matte finish is the only way we can get this colour and that is so unfair. I don't foresee buying it again, as this surely will last a long time. I will have fun experimenting with different ways to apply it to maximize its beauty.

Update June 19, 2015: I forgot about this pencil for several months. Then I saw a picture of myself wearing it and realized how unique and stunning it is, and remembered how I loved it. Why I got into other colours, I don't know. They all have their place, but really, this is the best. I cannot find a lipstick exactly like it to put under it without changing the shade. Every red I tried, even the blue toned ones, look too orange with it. I don't know what shades I paired it with when I took those photos (and I wish I had bothered to write it down) so I have been trying them one by one and so far I cannot duplicate the look. I am about to buy Ruby Woo which is a similar shade. I will go with the Dragon Girl swatched on my hand and try everything MAC has. The only point is to get a richer version of Dragon Girl, which by itself is too faded. That's all! I don't want to alter the unearthly, perfect, delicate shade.

I have paired it with Kate Moss Kiss of Life 111 which is a similar shade and also matte but it makes it too orange. Even Maybelline's Are You Red-dy which is totally blue toned in the swatch makes it too orange. This is a mystery and I will solve it.

I am pretty sure that the pictures of Dragon Girl on the web included a lip balm and another lipstick. No one admits it in their pics, but I will continue to pair it with various likely products until I find the right one.

I am raising my rating to HG status and I will definitely keep buying it as long as they make it. I am now a big fan of the matte lip and so I will not be putting a shiny lipstick or a gloss on top.

June 16/17: No longer HG. Dried out and too bright for me now.

on 9/12/2015 1:53:00 PM

This, along with Ruby Woo, is one of those colors I bought and after I put it on, felt like I was taking crazy pills. Red? How is this red? It is a dark, cool, bright pink. It is very nice and fun and bright, but not red. Maybe it works as a red if you have a dark red or orangey liner underneath to counter the pink, but on its own, it is a dark pink.

That being said, I do like it. It is a matte color that is comfortable and stays on. It is a nice enough color. I do prefer it to Ruby Woo, honestly, because it is more pink rather than wishy washy half red. I probably would not buy again because it will last forever, and if I do lose it, I have other bright pinks I like. I say try Urban Decay 69 if you are looking for a more red version of this.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Overall this stuff looks okay, but it is extremely drying and not worth the price tag. Also, major bummer that it requires sharpening. If this cost $10 I'd probably buy it again, but as it is I kind of feel like I wasted my money.

on 11/5/2014 1:13:00 PM

The shade Dragon Girl wasn't exactly what I expected. It looks more like cool pink on my lips, especially when I haven't layered it. It's still pretty and I'm using it. I love the soft consistency and I would pick that anytime over a glossy finish. It was surprising how thin layer it creates, so making your lips look defined is easy. I wish there were more lipsticks like this. It's necessary to get a big sharpener for this pencil.

on 5/30/2013 7:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The color is pretty, but didn't seem to bring my face alive (NW20, almost black hair, brown eyes). It did not look bad at all, but for this much money, I want one of those great shades that just brings everything together effortlessly. Also, I was disappointed in the pencil itself. I went through every Nars lip pencil thing they had and this was one of two colors that interested me. I chose this one because it was matte and I thought would make a lovely stain type of product. But it smeared...every where. I would apply it and it went on much brighter on my face than the swatch I did on my hand. I had to be careful applying it. But even with lip liner this created a fuzzy lip line. And the product didn't "stay" like I expected. It was more smeary than an average lipstick. All in all, it was too much mediocrity for the money. I had to return it.

on 5/29/2013 10:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Oh, how I wish this was longer lasting. This is a beautiful product, but it wears off from the inside of my lips out and doesn't leave a stain behind. I end up with uneven, "ring around the lips". It's still a beautiful color, applies like a creamy dream and is packed with pigment. It's not crazy drying but not particularly comfortable.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This, sadly, did not work for me. It is, however, the most pigmented true red lip product I have ever found. It wear well and long. The packaging is slightly annoying, because I don't like sharpening. However, I think this works better for warm toned people.

on 10/3/2010 8:19:00 AM

I love the color, I'm pale and it works really well. Gorgeous red. But I don't like the application and the texture. I think red needs to be applied with care, so I use a brush to apply the color of the pencil. And the texture makes my lips look dry, so I always end up with a dab of clear gloss on top. I will buy again, the red is perfect, I just wish the texture was smoother.

Let me start by saying this is the shade that I've been searching for. It's the perfect blue based red, with a pinky undertone. As a matter of fact, I prefer it to Cruella for the sheer fact that I feel that it flatters my pale skin a bit better.

Plus, being that it's in pencil form, it makes it incredibly convenient to use.

But, like Cruella, the formula feathers like mad. It's disappointing because the color is so incredibly gorgeous.

As a worshipper of the Church of Red Lips for nearly half a decade now, I've decided I have to have this as soon as every magazine and blogger started singing its praises. I've to wait for quite a while because it was sold out for several months in my country, apparently due to the avid Taylor Swift fans (this is the shade she wore on her Blank Space music video). Imagine my surprise when I finally tried it on and saw that it pulled very pinkish red on me and my pale, yellow-undertoned complexion. I guess I expected it to be more...Dragon Red? Anyway, I've grown to like this color. It's unlike any of the reds in my current arsenal, which is its strength, I suppose. Staying power is good and the finish is comfortable on my lips, but bearing in my mind that I do slather some Lucas Papaw ointment on my lips several minutes before I apply this. Love that it's travel-friendly. Gripes: a. I had to buy the special-sized Nars sharpener for this; b. I hate seeing how much product is wasted whenever I sharpen this; c. The cap has the tendency to come off when inside a makeup bag with other products. I was recently gifted with Cruella so I'll update on which of the two I'd prefer to repurchase once they get worn to the nub.

Popular Lips Products