NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl

Filtered by age: 56 & Over
NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl
Enter TitleVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlNars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

3.7

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

on 9/24/2014 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this shade so much that I used up my Sephora gift card to get it. There was no way I could stand to pay $34 plus tax for a pencil, but I had to have it. To me it looks like an antique light red with undertones of blue roses. I am in love with it, but on me it is not going on at all creamy and rich looking and glowing, as all the pictures on a web search show it. I was afraid of this when I saw it only came in matte, but there's nothing else like it. After trying it on my hand I went to three stores, and I walked around every display of every single brand from high to low end, trying shades on my hand to find a dupe that was not matte because I have never done well with matte pencils. I did get three other more glossy lipsticks in the blue red range, but they are not the same. So, I found I can put Lancome juicy tubes clear lip gloss on top to add some glow and dimension. It works equally well to put this on top of a similar shade in a creamy formula. It doesn't seem to work just by itself. It is too dry and almost minimizes my lips. The colour is thrilling yet the matte formula is annoying and not pigmented enough. Anyway, highest marks for colour, but I have to lower the rating because I will have to sharpen it and waste some, plus the matte finish is the only way we can get this colour and that is so unfair. I don't foresee buying it again, as this surely will last a long time. I will have fun experimenting with different ways to apply it to maximize its beauty.

Update June 19, 2015: I forgot about this pencil for several months. Then I saw a picture of myself wearing it and realized how unique and stunning it is, and remembered how I loved it. Why I got into other colours, I don't know. They all have their place, but really, this is the best. I cannot find a lipstick exactly like it to put under it without changing the shade. Every red I tried, even the blue toned ones, look too orange with it. I don't know what shades I paired it with when I took those photos (and I wish I had bothered to write it down) so I have been trying them one by one and so far I cannot duplicate the look. I am about to buy Ruby Woo which is a similar shade. I will go with the Dragon Girl swatched on my hand and try everything MAC has. The only point is to get a richer version of Dragon Girl, which by itself is too faded. That's all! I don't want to alter the unearthly, perfect, delicate shade.

I have paired it with Kate Moss Kiss of Life 111 which is a similar shade and also matte but it makes it too orange. Even Maybelline's Are You Red-dy which is totally blue toned in the swatch makes it too orange. This is a mystery and I will solve it.

I am pretty sure that the pictures of Dragon Girl on the web included a lip balm and another lipstick. No one admits it in their pics, but I will continue to pair it with various likely products until I find the right one.

I am raising my rating to HG status and I will definitely keep buying it as long as they make it. I am now a big fan of the matte lip and so I will not be putting a shiny lipstick or a gloss on top.

June 16/17: No longer HG. Dried out and too bright for me now.

on 11/1/2012 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love the color! And, even though I don't usually like fat chunky pencils, the shape does make it easy to apply.

This shade is very similar to Chanel Rouge Coco #31 Cambon. It maybe looks a little darker than Cambon, but that is due to it being matte.

Dragon Girl stays on MUCH better than Cambon :) I am impressed with its lasting power.

I am uploading a photo with Dragon Girl and Cambon swatched on my hand for comparison.

on 3/15/2007 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I went to the NARS counter to get Red Lizard, having just tried it on and loved it. The MA asked if I knew about the Dragon Girl lip pencil; she said it was the same color as Red Lizard but amazingly long-lasting. I bought it and now that I've looked at it in all sorts of lighting, it's looking a little pink (I'm a PPP with light brown hair, hazel eyes). It's a nice red, just not perfect.

Popular Lips Products