NARS Cosmetics Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl

Filtered by age: 30-35
NARS Cosmetics Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl
Enter TitleVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlNars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

4.4

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

Let me start by saying this is the shade that I've been searching for. It's the perfect blue based red, with a pinky undertone. As a matter of fact, I prefer it to Cruella for the sheer fact that I feel that it flatters my pale skin a bit better.

Plus, being that it's in pencil form, it makes it incredibly convenient to use.

But, like Cruella, the formula feathers like mad. It's disappointing because the color is so incredibly gorgeous.

As a worshipper of the Church of Red Lips for nearly half a decade now, I've decided I have to have this as soon as every magazine and blogger started singing its praises. I've to wait for quite a while because it was sold out for several months in my country, apparently due to the avid Taylor Swift fans (this is the shade she wore on her Blank Space music video). Imagine my surprise when I finally tried it on and saw that it pulled very pinkish red on me and my pale, yellow-undertoned complexion. I guess I expected it to be more...Dragon Red? Anyway, I've grown to like this color. It's unlike any of the reds in my current arsenal, which is its strength, I suppose. Staying power is good and the finish is comfortable on my lips, but bearing in my mind that I do slather some Lucas Papaw ointment on my lips several minutes before I apply this. Love that it's travel-friendly. Gripes: a. I had to buy the special-sized Nars sharpener for this; b. I hate seeing how much product is wasted whenever I sharpen this; c. The cap has the tendency to come off when inside a makeup bag with other products. I was recently gifted with Cruella so I'll update on which of the two I'd prefer to repurchase once they get worn to the nub.

on 9/12/2015 1:53:00 PM

This, along with Ruby Woo, is one of those colors I bought and after I put it on, felt like I was taking crazy pills. Red? How is this red? It is a dark, cool, bright pink. It is very nice and fun and bright, but not red. Maybe it works as a red if you have a dark red or orangey liner underneath to counter the pink, but on its own, it is a dark pink.

That being said, I do like it. It is a matte color that is comfortable and stays on. It is a nice enough color. I do prefer it to Ruby Woo, honestly, because it is more pink rather than wishy washy half red. I probably would not buy again because it will last forever, and if I do lose it, I have other bright pinks I like. I say try Urban Decay 69 if you are looking for a more red version of this.

on 8/12/2015 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I got a Nars velvet matte lip pencil and a satin one as well for my birthday, and liked it so much that I went to Sephora to pick up a velvet matte in a bright red. Dragon Girl is orangey-red, and on yellow undertone skin, it's more red than orange. It goes on smooth and binds instantly - good luck trying to get it off again! You do need to make sure your lips are well exfoliated because otherwise the pencil nature of it will pick up any imperfections. I usually put on a colorless SPF15 lip balm (Neutrogena or EOS), let it dry, and then put on this lip pencil. You are not going to get an exact line unless you keep your pencil super sharp all the time; I usually get a feathered edge because I wear my tip down before I remember to sharpen (I also bought the Nars pencil sharpener specifically for my growing collection of these matte lip pencils). After using these, I will never go back to wearing traditional lipsticks again - I have way more control with these, and I love how smooth yet matte these look. The packaging is very straight forward - it's a capped pencil after all, but for the price I don't care!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Overall this stuff looks okay, but it is extremely drying and not worth the price tag. Also, major bummer that it requires sharpening. If this cost $10 I'd probably buy it again, but as it is I kind of feel like I wasted my money.

on 3/23/2015 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I finally did it. I finally bought Dragon Girl. After falling in love with Cruella, Walkyrie, and Never Say Never, I decided to drop the dollars and pick up this iconic shade. For a long time, I'd strayed from blue-based reds because I wanted that bright, fire engine red with orange undertones that always seemed to stand out on camera. DG remained woefully overlooked as a result.
But then I swatched it. And hold the phone! This pulled beyond blue-red on me. It morphed into the most gorgeous red-pink I'd ever seen! Needless to say, I bought it immediately.
The formula is consistent with the whole of the range (short of Train Bleu, which I still own because I can't bring myself to admit that it doesn't work for me) in that it glides on smoothly and effortlessly, delivering one-swipe opacity without loads of tugging. I don't find it to be drying on my perpetually parched lips, but it's certainly not hydrating either. It's matte. What do you expect?
But man, is this stuff weightless! It wears like a second skin on my lips, drenching them in color without feeling heavy or waxy. There's some transfer onto my coffee cup, but not so much that it drives me mad or anything. And it lasts SO LONG. This stuff really hangs on for dear life.
My only gripe is with the packaging. At $26USD a pop, it's criminal that these don't retract, but instead need to be sharpened, which wastes product. Uncool, NARS. Super uncool.
But I'll still purchase these pencils because they are phenomenal. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, the packaging is less than ideal. But the colors are amazing and always on trend and the formula is fantastic. Sometimes, that's the best you can hope for.

Love this! Since I found out it was Taylor Swifts go to red lipstick I had to buy it and now i'm considering more Nars lipsticks in more subtle everyday shades. The red is really vibrant and stayed on for ages, especially if you do a few coats. One coat with a little lip balm also gives a great effect.

on 1/1/2015 8:44:00 PM

I am not going to mince my words here, this colour is amazing. I am currently going through a red lipstick phase and have purchased many red lipsticks the past few weeks. This is hands down my favourite. The colour is exactly how they've described it; vibrant red. It has a way of making my Asian skin glow and my teeth extra white.

I highly recommentd this and will definitely repurchase!

on 12/5/2014 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm not a red lip person at all in any shape or form. I love experimenting with makeup looks and colors but when it comes to a bold lip I just get so self conscious. I have no idea why but I've been that way since I can remember. All my lip product reviews can verify it! They're all for nudes, light pinks, peaches, and pastels. I've played with tons of red lipsticks at different makeup counters, trying on Chanel, Tom Ford, Guerlain, and Burberry... nothing won me over enough for me to commit to a purchase. Even the few that I sort of loved I just couldn't see myself wearing it more than a couple times a year. But I've had this in the back of my mind ever since I saw someone wearing it in a magazine several years ago and after trying it a few times I caved and bought it a few months ago and I have no regrets.

I'm super pale, NW5-10, with blonde hair, light hazel eyes, and small features, fine bones. I feel like this is one of the only reds I've ever tried that's actually flattering on me and doesn't swallow my features whole. I don't feel like I'm playing dress up with someone else's lipstick when I wear this. It suits me somehow. I only wear this with a very minimal face. Just a sheer foundation, some concealer, Mac's Painterly on my eyelids to even them out, Armani Brow Maestro, and maybe some mascara. I let this be the focus of my face.

The color is perfect for my neutral to slightly cool toned skin. It's definitely red on me, but a fresh version of it with that pink undertone. It never appears overly formal or special occasion only, though I'm sure it could easily go that way depending on the rest of my makeup. I love the matte finish because it looks very modern and fresh, especially paired with a dewy foundation.

I guess what draws me to this the most is the ease of it. Just a swipe and it looks youthful, polished without trying too hard, and chicly minimal.

I hate the packaging since it's hard to sharpen and wastes product. I wish it was in a twist up style pencil packaging like Bite's lip pencils. And sometimes it feels a little drying. But otherwise it's wonderful.

I don't wear it a ton, maybe once a week, but it's getting a lot of love and use. I'm feeling more confident with red lips now and I'd love to try some more versions and expand my field a little.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love to wear red lipstick, Dragon Girl is a bright blue based matte red, with a pink undertone. It's a creamy matte pencil (which are my least favorite kind of lipstick because when you sharpen them you lose some product). It applies really easy, it's almost fully opaque, and it lasts a long time on the lips. It looks so pretty on, it kind of reminds me of Ruby Woo from MAC, but this isn't as red. I'm not a fan of the pencil, but the color is so beautiful I'm willing to over look it.