Serge Lutens Miel de Bois

No Image

3.2

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

For years, I have been searching for a true honey fragrance. I used to have something by Perlier, which I loved, but since it has been discontinued, I had to make due with hand creams and other body products. I read, re-read, studied and contemplated the many (mostly negative) reviews of Miel de Bois online. By luck, I stumbled across a brand new bottle on ebay and bought it blind. I was hesitant when my package came, but I sprayed on my hand and waited. Now, I won't say I heard angels sing but...wait, ok, yeah...I actually DID! Miel de Bois is absolutely everything I had been looking for! I sniffed, sniffed and sniffed some more, looking for something "malodorous". Alllllll I smell is warm, dark, rich honey! I have extremely dry, pale skin. I sprayed myself, quite literally, from head to toe and was engulfed in a beautiful sun warmed field of clover honey. There is something green and vegetal and then the beautiful honey. Something woody peeks out a little later, but it's never harsh or acrid...just natural. I was floating on a cloud of beauty. The next two days I wore YSL "Majestic Rose" which is an oud beast. Could still get wafts of Miel de Bois (yes, I shower every day!) I don't, however, wash my very long hair everyday. Today, three days after wearing Miel de Bois, I stepped in the shower and let my hair down to wash it. Instantly, a cloud of lovely honey enveloped me! This has longevity like nothing else...and I am loving every moment! I am not a fan of most "natural" scents because they usually have something medicinal to them. Not at all so with Miel de Bois! I feel like a goddess wearing it. Like Mother Nature herself. Very sensual! I am actually going to order a bell jar, that's how much I love this! I can't understand where the cat pee references come from as I get none of that. I suppose if you live in a completely sterilized world, then anything even remotely natural might smell "bad". I honestly smell nothing negative here at all! As an aside. My son (20) commented that he didn't like it. My daughter said I smelled of jasmin. This is one of very, very few scents in my collection, I am absolutely besotted with. Miel de Bois is one of the reasons I worship Sheldrake/Lutens...they just KNOW how to do perfume!

When I read that this smells like urine to some people, I knew I had to try it - for the challenge and the novelty, at least.

It's pretty far from urine on me, thankfully, but it does have that vague animalistic note that keeps it from being too pretty or polite. Like most Serges, it has great lasting power.

I get mostly honey with a spicy pepper note, but I don't get the warmness that some reviewers have pointed out. It's not a comfort scent, nor is it sweet in the fruity sense of the word.

Miel de Bois is interesting, and not at all unpleasant, but lacking in the warmth that would make me splurge for an FB.

Smelling it on my skin, it has the feel of metal and the smell of the warm beer laced with honey and spices that grandma gave me to battle colds in harsh winters.

Notes: Guaiac wood, oak, white honey, wax, animal notes, iris and hawthorn.

This fragrance opens with a white honey note whose realism is increased by a beeswax note. The honey is crystalline, sweet but not overly so, flowery and radiant. Underneath I see pungent woods and last but not least interesting animal notes as the base. The initial accord is all about the interplay of airy and heavy, sweet and pungent notes. The fragrance changes rather dramatically in its mid-development, by then most of the honey has faded, and all there remains are the woodsy - and the animal notes. Hawthorn intensifies my impression of a raw, dirty, almost indecent animalistic scent. Lasts for six hours on my skin.

on 2/27/2011 3:28:00 PM

A warm honey fragance with a spicy undertone. Quite nice to use in Autumn or Winter. Lasts longer than other Serge Luten perfumes.

on 1/24/2011 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my favorite honey fragrance with just enough other notes to keep it from being cloying and sweet. Warm & sensual. It is heavy though so apply with a light hand. And don't attempt wearing it in hot weather either. The best thing I can say for this is my husband - who is not a fan of strong perfumes - loves this on me.

on 9/10/2010 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Enough descriptions have been said by all the other reviewers. This definitely is a love-it-or-hate-it scent. I got a sample from a SA from SL counter along with my purchase. Very interestingly/ strangely, it smells almost identical to my female dog's natural body scent.

on 7/11/2010 3:33:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Milky honey and peppery wood. It's a fairly true honey, but it's sweeeettttt and it doesn't morph at all. Just honey and wood, the whole time. It's not bad, but I don't like it nearly enough to smell like this, certainly not to put down money to smell like this. It's the textbook definition of 'eh'.

on 3/28/2010 2:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I do get the dreaded cat pee/B.O. note if I spray this liberally, but it is a soft, warm, spicy, floral, animalic honey that blooms beautifully when I dab just the tiniest bit on. The most real, raw honey I have tried so far and it is toned down by the dry wood that Lutens does so well. This juice is extremely potent and lasts well over a day on me.

on 2/13/2010 9:51:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

Yes, this is honey alright, and something that smells vaguely like cherries (?) in the drydown. Quite simply, these are the only notes I could detect. Clean, slightly sweet, not repulsive, but not for me. It is a very fresh scent though, probably would be a great spring/summer scent for those who can bond with it.
Edit 3/9/2010: Oddly enough, this is growing on me. It has the sillage and lasting power I look for in fragrance and I seem to be picking up a tiny bit of skank, which seems to be a turn on for my husband. Adding a lippie, still not sure if I will go for a FB. Another edit 3/23/2010: This smells awesome on my husband and for some reason when we wear it together it is pure magic. Got a FB and a back up

on 1/14/2010 10:18:00 AM

I'm not a honey lover, but this perfume made me reconsider. It's very long lasting and has great sillage, the best of any SL I've tried. It's a nice, sweet scent but with a touch of freshness that makes me feel as if I just came out of the shower. Comforting and invigorating at the same time, it's a perfume I can imaging wearing anytime, but mostly at daytime. Not worthy a FB as I'm not a honey lover, but I appreciate its uniqueness anyway.

Popular Fragrances