Givenchy Ysatis

3.8

I was so excited to try this but after I did I immediately regretted it. It smells like harsh chemicals and hairspray on me. Very strange. I would try the pre formulation though.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have mixed feelings about this perfume. When I first put it on smells like a classic 80's perfume strong,sweet and rich ! It almost feels like it's going to be too much but it fades away very quickly on my skin . I like the opening a lot it's very strong sweet, with a vintage feel to it . The thing I don't like at all is the dry down of this perfume . On my skin after an hour or so it smells like a men's cologne, a floral men's cologne mixed with after shave . The longevity is very poor on me it doesn't last more than 2 hours and after an hour or so it starts to fade and becomes a skin scent and then it completely disappears . The packaging is ok I guess nothing special. The overal feel that I get from this perfume is a sweet scent it's a quite complicated scent it's very well blended and it doesn't reminds you of one thing I smell some flowers in it I smell some spices in it I smell some vanilla in it but nothing stands out too much I get an overall sweet colorful feel from it I will definitely use mine up but I don't think I'm going to buy another one

To Read all 78 Reviews, Login or Join

I am testing from a vintage dead stock manufacturers sample. Powerhouse French aldehydic mixed tropical Floral that smells rich and expensive, more for a woman who wears wolford stockings than agent provocateur. Not at all for mainstream tastes (too floral rich as opposed to gourmand rich) and not for all vintage lovers (unless they like opulent golden aldehydes -- this is the polar opposite of the lean austere mid century modern green chypre)

Somehow I think of this as a cross between Amouage gold, dia and jubilation in feeling. Dry down is pollinated like Chamade extrait, but not green. For those who find Chamade powdery rather than mostly pollinated ( I dab which reduces the aridity), this is dense but not powdery to the extent of a Guerlain.

A single dab on my finger seems to waft enormous sillage, but it does dry down to a warm soft skin scent with incense and sandalwood. If I were to wear this outside the house ( debatable since it's not really my style), perhaps I would dab a single dab on my calf muscle ( am trying to think of where it won't rise up and choke those on the elevator. I would never ever spray this.

In its favor, it's not indolic on me (I find scents like Patou Joy a bit cloying, but then again I use to wear a lot of Serge Lutens and now find many of those scents a bit cloying as well). I am a fan of Dominique ropion (Caron Amiez moi, FM Une Fleur de Cassie, carnal flower, Vetiver extraordinaire, etc). What all of those scents have in common is a sense of structure, three dimensional roundness, fullness and richness.

Note: I just read a review below written by mommytwoboys78. She mentions a milky creamy coconut facet to this. A review, I think by aujusdour, states that it is an atypically warm chypre where the notes such as incense are seamlessly blended. Although this doesn't come across as a chypre to my nose, I agree with the warm seamless blending.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I don't know why I never smelled this in the 80's but bought this blind today on a rather expensive whim....what a wonderful whim! I adore this! I bought the reformulated ETD and since I never smelled the vintage I love this, no sad "it's not the same!" to deal with.
The opening hits you with blast of aldehydes but then the lovely flowers introduce themselves and within thirty minutes the whole thing has sweetened and deepened....absolutely gorgeous. Long lasting, great projection....this is beauty in an elegant bottle. Very sexy and makes me feel extremely French! Thank you, Givenchy! This has a permanent place now in my perfume wardrobe!

I received this as a gift a while back. It is a review on the 1/4 fl. oz parfum in the black, red, and gold box. I have worn it on and off again. I always loved the smell of this on myself. Lol. Unfortunately, others didn't. Perhaps I put on too much?? How could that be. I only used 1 or 2 dabs. So although I loved this perfume, I noticed that others did not enjoy it around me. To this day I am still confused. I think it smells like sweet soapy floral vanilla flowers with whiffs of milk cream and coconut water. There is a musky sensual undertone. It smells lush and expensive.
I am at a happy point in my life. And if this makes me happy by wearing it, then so be it. You only live life once. Be happy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is definately a classic chypre fragrance. Warm and mellow but sophisticated too. I picked this up at Ulta's based on a recommendation, and I'm glad I did. Ysatis has this woodsy quality that makes me feel relaxed when I wear it. Its hard to describe the individual notes because the fragrance is so well blended, but if you like chypre scents you'll probably like this. However, I always recommend a sniff test where perfume is concerned. Scent is such a personal thing.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I first wore this scent in the late 80's. It smells wonderful on me. It's complex and interesting and has lasting power. I've worn other fragrances, but I would say this is my signature scent. It became impossible to find as it was no longer carried in stores so I was thrilled to discover it on a recent trip to Ulta. I purchase a bottle and wear it now occasionally as I am trying to use up other fragrances I have. I always get compliments when I wear this.

In my opinion, this is one of the great perfumes, one that ranks right up there with classics such as Chanel No. 5, Shalimar and Opium. It's unique and there's nothing else quite like it.

Created by master perfumer Dominique Ropion and launched by Givenchy in 1984, Ysatis is a kaleidoscope of scent. Somehow, it manages to be: floral, oriental, chypre, green, soapy, musky, classy and "clean" all at the same time. I don't know any other fragrance that has that ability. The only categories it really doesn't overlap are spicy and gourmand. It is probably best described as a powerful floral-oriental.

Ysatis starts out with a strong blast of florals and green notes, heavy on the ylang ylang. As it dries down, the other notes assert themselves, and the oakmoss and amber keep everything grounded. But it does not change dramatically as it dries down, other than becoming a bit smoother. It's one of those fragrances where the notes are all so well blended, it's hard to pick them out individually. The ylang ylang, to me, is the strongest and most identifiable note in this fragrance.

Here is the only negative thing about Ysatis (although this could be a positive, depending on what you are looking for in a perfume): it is a strong, bold fragrance. It's "perfumey," for those who use that term to describe an assertive fragrance that cannot be considered subtle or a skin scent. You want to be careful not to overapply this fragrance, because it does not fade quickly. But that's also part of its charm -- it's not weak or insipid, and it has good lasting power. Applied lightly, Ysatis has a beautiful sillage that will leave a scent trail and inspire strangers to ask you what you are wearing, or what smells so good.

It's a great fragrance to wear for an elegant night out, or even to the office (if applied very lightly). It shines most brightly when you dress it up and take it out, and it will get you noticed.

Ysatis is exchangable with the word identity for me. She and I are old loves. I got her when I was very young when she first came out, and wore her as a signature for 20 years. I still have an original bottle and it smells....like me. I don't wear her much anymore.... but when I do.....I wear her well.

She's not for everyone, and she's of a generally more complex era. A powerhouse 1980's perfume. A time when you would get into an elevator and it was a wonder you made it out alive. The smell of competing perfumes was common and they made a lot of olfactory noise. They were BIG!!!!

For me she's like slipping into a sweet kiss from the one you've loved forever though. She's familiar and exciting all at once. I can smell the galbanum which always intimidates the atmosphere a bit. It's tempered however by the warmth of ylang and jasmine. The oakmoss is classic and does what oakmoss does perfectly. This is such a complex perfume that to go through all the stages would take forever and this review is already long. Suffice it to say that she's sexy, powerful,and not for the shy.I can't imagine ever not having a small bottle of the original formula. I'm kicking myself for trading the body creme. It's the most perfect, luscious rendition of this fragrance made I believe. Ysatis, I love you.

Wore this great scent in the 90's, And loved it. It is a stronger scent, I like scents like Escada, Libertine, Magie Noir, These scents have staying power, And it works well with my chemistry. Lots of compliments all the time.. Just bought another bottle again. I am very happy to see this is one that you can still find. Will always have a place in my perfume collection.

Popular Fragrances