Revlon Age Defying Makeup with Botafirm SPF 20 for Normal/Combination Skin

Revlon Age Defying Makeup with Botafirm SPF 20 for Normal/Combination Skin

3.7

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (8.0%), Zinc Oxide (3%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl 4 Isostearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Methyldihydrojasmonate, Boron Nitride, Acetyl Hexapeptide 3, Nylon 12, Stearic Acid, Polyglyceryl 6 Polyricinoleate, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Aluminum Hydroxide, Alumina, Glycine Soja Protein (Soybean), Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Salicylic Acid, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Macrocystic Pyrifera (Extract), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PVP, Fomes Officinalis Extract (Mushroom), Anthemis Nobilis (Roman Chamomile) Flower Extract, Saxifraga Sarmentosa Extract, Vitis Vinifera Fruit Extract (Grape), Morus Bombycis Root Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Methoxypropylgluconamide, Laureth 7, Glycerin, Silica, Methicone, PEG/PPG 20/15 Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Tribehenin, PEG 10 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

on 5/31/2005 5:35:00 PM

DESCRIPTION OF ME Asian with a warm complexion (C3-C4 in MAC) with strong yellow undertones and some peach. Black hair. Oily skin.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION Liquid foundation with SPF 20. Around $10-$15 US retail. Available in most drugstores.

PACKAGING Age Defying for Normal/Combo skin comes in a glass bottle with a plastic cap. (The cap consists of a red inner layer and a transparent plastic cover, which differentiates it from the formula for dry skin which has a completely red cap.) It is sturdy but inconvenient to use if you prefer applying your foundation with a brush or with your fingers. As many other people have pointed out, this could definitely use a pump dispenser.

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE This foundation is a little thicker in consistency than your average liquid foundation. If you turn the bottle over, the foundation will not flow out immediately. However, the foundation does not feel heavy or dense. It feels light and it is easy to blend.

APPLICATION As I have said before, this foundation is easy to blend. It does not streaky, it does not dry too fast nor does it "drag". It is easy to apply with your fingers (tap a little bit of foundation into the cap and dip your finger in) as well as a wedge or sponge (cover the mouth of the bottle with the wedge or sponge and shake up and down). A brush also works well but it is not my preferred method of application. Overall, it is a dream to work with.

FINISH I say that the finish is satin to velvet. It is not a flat matte. I would not call it dewy unless you apply it on freshly moisturized skin.

COVERAGE Light to medium. It will not cover fresh pimples but you can stipple it onto faded discolorations. Age Defying does not cover dark shadows under the eyes very well but it does do a good job with mild redness.

STAYING POWER
Unfortunately, Age Defying does not hold up very well to my oily skin. I am usually in climate-controlled environments for most of the day but slight oil breakthrough made Age Defying fade and rub off very easily. The careful stippling and spot-concealing became useless before lunch. This is very disappointing since staying power is easily the number one thing I look for in a foundation.

SCENT Age Defying has a mild slightly nutty smell. Don't ask me why but that's just want it strikes me as! It is not annoying to me. In fact, I kind of like it. I do not see any added perfumes in the ingredients list.

COLOR I use 10 Sand Beige. This particular foundation's color scheme differs slightly from other Revlon products. For one, it has more color selections and it tends to run slightly darker. Sand Beige in Colorstay and Colorstay Natural would be far too light for me but is a good match when it comes to Age Defying. Keep in mind that the foundation will dry to an ever-so- slightly darker shade, so consider buying a color that looks a little paler than what you need. As far as I can see, Age Defying foundation colors are very neutral. No ugly pinks or oranges in the bunch.

OVERALL A wonderful foundation but it does not last on my oily skin. I would highly recommend this for normal skin that does not have a million things to hide. (I have not tried the dry skin formula, so I would not know if it is any good.) It has a lot of what a person could ask for: Great color, good coverage, a wonderful texture and SPF 20. I would repurchase.

NOTE ON "ANTI-AGING PROPERTIES" This product will not have any sort of significant effect on lines and discolorations due to aging. In a nutshell, such signs originate from deep in the skin where over-the-counter products such as this foundation cannot penetrate into. If it were able to penetrate and affect the deepest layers of the skin, it would not be as simple to purchase them. They would be controlled (such as by prescriptions) or at the very least accompanied by detailed facts, warnings and instructions for use.

However, this does contain broad-spectrum sunscreen which will be a great way to avoid the bulk of the damage caused by the sun.

continued >>

on 12/3/2009 8:37:00 PM

My search for foundation has finally ended. I was using all kinds of foundation until I saw my friend walked in with flawless and youthful skin. She usually looked tired and worn out. I found out later that she has just switched foundation. I was totally shock to learn it was Revlon Age Defying Makeup with Botafirm. I had used Revlon once when I was in my early teens, now at 44 I have pretty much stick with the stuff from the departmental stores. I went out and bought 3 versions of this line, one in a plastic tube with no brush (light makeup), one in a tube with brush, and this one in a glass bottle. They all proved to be very firming. I literally took 10 years off my face. But I have to say, this one in the glass bottle is the most effective.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Revlon The lowdown: Although Revlon is still trying to dig itself out of years of debt, their financial woes have not kept them from staying on the cutting edge of makeup technology and launching several well-formulated products. Their revamped Age-Defying line is testament to this, and on schedule for 2006 are reworking of several items in their famous ColorStay line. Perhaps most intriguing, after years of disappointing or lackluster mascaras, Revlon struck gold with their truly fabulous Fabulash formula. Age-Defying Light Makeup SPF 30 ($12.99) debuts as a brilliant sheer-coverage foundation that features broad-spectrum sun protection from titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, and octinoxate (boy Revlon knows how to marry sunscreen to foundations!). This slightly creamy, water-resistant makeup sets to a natural-looking semi-matte finish that is appropriate for someone with normal to slightly oily or slightly dry skin. There are six shades, including Skin Brightener, a very pale peach that softly perks up pale skin and doesnít look all that peachy once itís blended into place. Most of the other shades are great, but watch out for the too-peach Light Medium and Medium Deep. Although this is a sheer makeup, the peachiness of these two shades is hard to blend away. This would be an ideal foundation for casual weekend makeup when you may spend more time outside than usual. Age-Defying Makeup SPF 15 ($13.99) comes in two formulas, one for dry skin and one for normal/combination skin. Confusingly, the dry-skin formula lists talc as one of the main ingredients, which provides a soft matte finish. In contrast, the normal/combination skin formula is more emollient, with an almost matte finish. Both foundations provide broad-spectrum sun protection; the dry-skin formula has an in-part titanium dioxide sunscreen, while the normal/combination formula contains titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Texture- and application-wise, both formulas are equally wonderful. Which one you choose depends on the type of finish you prefer, because both provide seamless medium coverage without a heavy feel. Each foundation features 12 shades, and they tend to go on lighter than they appear in the bottle. The best news: Thereís not a bad shade in the bunch, and there are options for light to dark (but not very fair or very dark) skin tones. Whether you choose the dry or the normal/combination skin formula, both of these foundations are best for normal to slightly dry or slightly oily skin. Age-Defying Concealer SPF 20 ($8.79) is a creamy compact concealer available in three very good yellow-toned shades (but be careful with Neutralizer; it is too yellow for fair to light skin tones). The titanium dioxide and zinc oxide sunscreen combination not only ensures excellent UVA/UVB protection, but also contributes to this concealerís medium to full coverage. It has a beautifully smooth application that, given the productís thick texture, blends better than youíd expect. Considering this productís creaminess, it is surprising that it has only a slight tendency to crease into lines around the eyes. All told, job well done, Revlon! Fabulash Mascara ($6.99) Are you ready for this? After years of struggling, Revlon has finally produced a mascara to rival the best of LíOrealís formidable stable of lash-enhancing options. Fabulash is Revlonís best mascara in years. It promises fuller, clump-free lashes, and it deliversóbig-time! Youíll get a clean application that defines each lash while lengthening and thickening in the right proportions to produce dramatic but not over-the-top lashes. Add to this the fact that lashes stay soft without flaking or smearing, and Fabulash deserves a very enthusiastic Paulaís Pick rating! reprinted from Paula Begoun

on 12/19/2008 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I can't believe I've found what I think might be my HG foundation. Revlon Age defying makeup SPF 20 in Bare Buff. After a two year search that led me from Vincent Lazlo to Jane Iredale then to Dior and back again with some drugstore stuff thrown in for good measure - from Almay to Neutrogena - this is THE one. My skin looks so natural, just more even and kind of glowy. I'm 37 with some signs of aging and a monthly battle with blemishes. I'll report back if this stuff breaks me out. But today (just three days into using it) I am LOVING my skin. Revlon makes the best drugstore make-up out there by far. This stuff does what the Lazlo stuff did without making me oily and without (so far it seems) clogging my pores. Oh, yeah, and costs about a quarter as much!

on 3/6/2006 10:10:00 AM

UPDATE: After using this now for several weeks, it is definitely HG and my initial review stands. Don't know how it will perform in the summer, and I'll probably go back to using my tinted s/s, but this is definitely my foundation of choice.

This foundation is surprising good. Bought it on a whim since I can't leave the ds without purchasing some cosmetic, and the ingredients in this looked interesting. I'm normally a TM girl and find 99% of the foundations out there to just not work on my VERY oily, large pored skin...leaves me a grease slick and settles and accentuates every pore I have. Not this. Consistancy is very smooth and creamy...more of a gel/creme than a liquid, yet the coverage is light and natural with my foundation brush. It doesn't feel like I have anything on my face, which is what I like best. Coverage is buildable for those who want more, but even the lightest application covers well. Settles immediately into a very natural, semi-matte finish that looks slightly dewy and fresh. At the end of the day I haven't had to blot once, color is true, hasn't settled into pores or fine lines, disappeared, absorbed or slipped. It actually looks better the longer I wear it.

The scent is kinda nutty, but I barely notice it and it's gone quickly. The packaging blows...glass, screwtop bottle that I'm terrified I'll break, especially when traveling. Sand Beige worked perfectly on my MMM beige/yellow winter skin. Other mu glides over this without disturbing it or causing it to change. For $10, this is probably going to become a staple.

I joined to tell other people about this. This makeup is amazing! I am so glad I bought it! It is pretty expensive, around $13 but I would say it is worth it, and less expensive than the department store brands. I am 26 years old and this is the first makeup I have ever found that is my exact skin color as I have very pale skin! I have Fresh Ivory. If you have pale skin, please try this! It is amazing! Everything else I have tried (whether the shade was called Ivory or not) was too orange. This matches perfectly and blends very well. It leaves no lines on the side of your face, it pretty much blends right in. With other foundations I have tried that blend right in, they are pretty oily and way too light to provide any coverage. This is very creamy, and thick enough to cover. It covers lines and undereye circles in one coat, and blemishes, scars, deeper lines, in two or three. You can put on a few coats because it's easy to blend. It does take a while to dry completely (5-10 minutes) but it dries to a pretty matte finish (but not too matte like a lot of foundations) and when it dries your face still feels moisturized, like as if had you just put lotion on it. I think if you have oily skin it may leave your face feeling a bit greasy, but I have kind of dry skin and it just feels completely moisturized. It definitely looks fresh and dewy. To the touch your face feels really smooth and soft. It doesn't dry out your skin, and it doesn't cake on your face. I'm not sure what this Botafirm is supposed to do, I'm not sure that it's supposed to make you look more firm over time, I think maybe it is while you are wearing it. I'm relatively young but in this I look 18. It is noticeable even from across the room, where fine lines, creases, and wrinkles would be normally more noticeable in the shadows if you were not wearing makeup. My problems with other foundations I have tried were that either they were too watery, providing absolutely no coverage and leaving my face feeling greasy and oily, or they were thick, provided no coverage and felt dry and cakey 2 minutes after applying them. This is neither. This is amazing. Also, it smells nice, and my face doesn't feel irratated at all. I'm prone to break out from things, and, if you are too, you know that you can tell by the way your face feels as soon as you put it on, but this feels perfectly calm on your skin. It looks to have quite a few natural ingredients in there (along with all the chemicals) including aloe. Aloe is soothing. It's usually the fragrance in things that irratates my skin so it's good that this seems to have natural ingredients in it. Ok, I don't know what all the chemicals do, but it does have a lot of ingredients I recognize and know do great things. It has soy, wheat protein, grapefruit extract, anthemis nobilis flower extract, and a few other flower extracts. It also has glycerin and salicylic acid (which is probably why it doesn't cause your skin to break out!). Lastly, even with a few coats of this stuff (I model for photos and you need to wear a lot more makeup than you would naturally, and usually when you pile it on it just feels horribly cakey and awful) it feels barely there and looks incredible. I say try this and you won't be sorry. On the bottle it says "radiant finish" and wow is that claim true!

on 7/26/2013 6:24:00 PM

I must agree with Lili95. This fdt sucks. I was looking for something to counteract the extremely dry weather we're having here, and my aging used-to-be-very-oily skin, but I can't afford to spend a bloody fortune, so I tried this.

Bad mistake. When I opened the bottle there was about half an inch of OIL sitting on top. Oh, well. Sometimes you've got to shake a product, so I gave this a good shake. I put it on and it was still an oily mess. Oh, and no coverage whatsoever. Did I mention it has no coverage? In short, I hate this muck. I have to go out in a minute so I don't have time to redo my MU. I had to powder my face to death to counteract the oiliness, which rather defeated the purpose of trying not to dry my skin out. I can almost feel my skin breaking out from this garbage. This is going back tomorrow PRONTO.

Why, oh WHY, do these "experts" believe that because a woman is past 40, she has to smother her face in grease? Lord knows we buy enough of their stuff to pay for a lifetime of research. And yet, they keep coming back with the same old same old: either blotting-paper dry products, or lard-in-a-jar. And I don't care how much they gas away about their "breakthrough anti-aging so and so, for all skins." No, it isn't. It's just a variation of the same rubbish.

I'm no expert, but even I know that grease does NOT prevent or correct wrinkles. It only makes your face look gross and your skin break out.

Forgive the rant, but I am very frustrated at the moment, and I am tired of these snake-oil (pun intended) peddlers who call themselves "experts."

Revlon, are you by chance reading this? If so, thanks a lot for NOTHING, you morons!

I have used Age-Defying with BotaFirm for dry skin since it came out. It was perfect. My shade was 04 Nude Beige. But you had to go and change it, didn't you? That's right....some bright-eyed, squirrelly little overachiever decided he was going to make his mark by improving what DID NOT NEED improving. But you allowed it, and you screwed up.

Otherwise, can you tell me how and why the 04 Nude Beige in your hotshot reformulated "Age-Defying for ALL Skin types" is NOT THE SAME COLOR as 04 Nude Beige in the old formula? Can you tell me why the old one is for fair cool skin like mine, and the new one (same shade!) is TAN? .........No?..........I didn't think so.

Thanks a hell of a lot for making me have to start from scratch and find a new foundation at my age.

on 1/2/2010 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

EDIT: This isn't the sleekest car on the racetrack, so to speak, with all the contenders out there, in all price ranges. But I will tell you, this is a fantastic foundation. Beats the pants off Lancome R'energie! My skin looks younger, softer and it stays. The beautiful finish stays as well although I use just a phloof of powder-really a tiny bit. I highly recommend!!!!
After a week of purchasing and returning Revlon foundations, I have finally found a winner! PhotoReady lost me with the obvious sparkles (in broad daylight) and the dry skin version of this felt as heavy as crisco on my skin. I guess my skin isn't as dry as I thought it was, or my Purist moisturizer is working well! Anyway, I had a difficult time choosing a color in this foundation because they all looked so yellow. I came home with Nude Beige 04 and while appearing excessively yellow in the container, it lightens up considerably and blends in well with my NW20 light skin, and loses that strong yellow tone. The packaging is horrible. It's a glass bottle and the formula is so thick I had a difficult time decanting it into a pump bottle. Once transferred (took an hour) it passes through the pump well and I am surprised at the soft, pretty radiant finish this has! I would classify the coverage as light with one layer. I dabbed a bit extra on my nose and around my mouth. Voila, exactly what I was looking for. Reminds me of MUFE F&B in terms of coverage, although the Revlon offers just a bit more. The finish is beautiful on me, like F&B as well. I would definitely purchase again!

on 11/14/2009 11:04:00 PM

As a person who has been cursed with problem skin, I am ever on the search for the foundation that will mask my problems (acne, oily, large pores, fine lines, and now...melasma), but also look natural and not so obviously made up. I have been using Colorstay for oily skin (and as I'm writing this, it occurs to me that maybe I should try the dry or combo formulation...errrgh) in Buff for the most part, but as my skin has aged, find that it tends to look cakey on my skin. So, I thought I would try something geared to my aging skin, in fact, something that will "Defy" my age! As I was feeling like the Buff was looking too yellowish on my skin, I took a risk with the rather pink appearing Fresh Ivory. The shade turned out to be a good match for my skin, and it seems to disappear into my skin but does cover or at least mute some of my imperfections. I like the slippery feel of it and it does not seem accentuate my fine lines or my pores. It really has the effect of making it look like my skin has improved without looking like I am wearing foundation, and this is always what I desire from a foundation. I have been wearing for a couple of weeks and does not seem to break me out. And, I guess I should say that underneath the foundation, I wear moisturizer and a primer (currently Boscia because I got a free sample) and on top, I put on a bit of MAC Blot with a brush.