St. Ives Apricot Scrub Blemish and Blackhead Control

St. Ives Apricot Scrub Blemish and Blackhead Control
Apricot Scrub Blemish and Blackhead ControlApricot Scrub Blemish and Blackhead ControlApricot Scrub Blemish and Blackhead ControlApricot Scrub Blemish and Blackhead ControlApricot Scrub Blemish and Blackhead Control

Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid (2%). Inactive Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Juglans Regia (Walnut) Shell Powder, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Zea Mays (Corn) Kernel Meal, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cetyl Alcohol, Triethanolamine, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Fruit Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Primula Veris Extract, Sambucus Nigra Flower Extract, Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol, Carbomer, Ceteareth-20, Cetyl Acetate, Polysorbate 60, Sodium Chloride, Sorbitol Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Despite the addition of 2% salicylic acid in this vs zero in the original formulation, I can't say for sure that I notice an increased efficacy on blemishes, blackheads or clogged pores in general. Both formulas give me instantly fresh and smoother looking skin which unfortunately only lasts for a day or two but is amazing whilst it lasts. For the price it's hard to come by a better all round scrub. I tend to use this on my legs to help prevent ingrown hairs after waxing and generally use Sisley's scrub for my face. However on the odd occasion when I run out of that one, this works just fine for my face too. It is coarse so be aware of that, there's nothing subtle about this scrub. But it works and that's the main thing. I could definitely live without the very artificial fragrance but that's just a minor negative.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled many 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

This scrub is brilliant. I have repurchased it so many times.

I used to have blemishes, but now only get the odd one. Probably not totally down to this product, but it certainly has worked better than any other scrubs I've tried. Skin feels so soft and smooth after using, too.

The only downside is that it is a little coarser than most, but I would say totally worth it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This stuff is so gross.

My husband grabbed it for me (I don't buy stuff that's tested on animals, but he didn't realize that this is from Unilever) and I figured I'd give it a go. Big mistake.
It smells weird. Not awful, just plastic and fake. The apricot kernel pieces are fine, but the cream formula stuff leaves a disgusting film on your skin, and has a lingering scent. It made me feel dirty and greasy, AND, it gave me cystic acne on my chin that took over a week to clear.

Never again (not that I would have anyway, being Unilever n all)

I didn't get this product, it was both a bit too oily and very much too harsh for my acne prone skin. Especially bought it for the blackheads on my nose area but there were no visible difference. As I really hate wasting product I've used it as a body scrub instead which was mediocre too, for the reference I looooove The Body Shop body scrubs. Also the weirdest thing happened to the cap, somehow it got moldy very fast & nothing else in my bathroom ever got it...so it went to the trash

on 5/20/2018 8:55:00 AM

Honestly, I don't know what to feel about this product but there's two things I know for sure: I will want buy this again and I am definitely keeping this in my skincare routine.

To begin with, I have dehydrated, oily, blemished and acne-prone skin.

Exfoliating properties: It really does exfoliate well, my skin definitely does feel smoother after using this. This is one thing you can be guaranteed of when buying this product.

> I've read many reviews/comments of people saying that this scrub is too harsh or that it tears the skin. A solution: Simply don't apply so much pressure when you're massaging it on your face *roll eye emoji*! Just massage this gently into the skin of your face.

One more thing, the harshness of the scrub can be good to a certain extent when it comes to getting rid of the blemishes, like, hello? isn't that whats the entire concept of derma roller is about?

Blemish-clearing properties: I've definitely seen improvement on the blemishes of my skin, but I don't think this scrub can solely take the credit for that alone because I am currently using other blemish-improving products on my skin as well.

I stopped using this product a very long time ago- I think the last time I used it when I was 13 & just getting into skin care (I'm in my 20's now) I had read that the granules could cause tears in the skin, so I stopped. I get the occasional hormonal breakout, usually on my jaw or chin. I was suffering from one of these breakouts, not to mention the stress of moving into a new home. I had a patch of white heads and 2 cystic bumps. I was picking up some mail from Shoppers, and honestly needed a pick me up. This blemish control version was on sale, so I grabbed it along with the St. Ives Collagen Moisturizer. I used the scrub that night, and my face felt soft and tingly afterwards. I woke up and my volcano breakout had pretty much completely healed. The cystic bumps where still a bit raised, but much smaller & much less red- they disappeared after just one more use. I will only use this when I suffer a breakout, because it's the only product that has worked when I get hormonal zits. So glad I retried it, not for daily use since it's quite rough- but a staple in my skin care kit.

on 9/4/2017 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Its a good scrub and relatively inexpensive as well. However, I find that it is too harsh as the bits are too rough and is slightly uncomfortable when I use it.

on 8/16/2017 12:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I love this scrub, but not for my face. I've heard that it works wonders for acne, which I was looking forward to after I broke out in closed comedones and realized I was missing a good exfoliant in my routine, but I've heard equal amounts that it's done horrible things like tearing the microfibers of your skin (a risk I don't really want to take). I did use it once, but it was a little uncomfortable. The pieces are cut up nuts, which makes them jagged - they are very big and harsh on skin. Though I'm sure it works, the discomfort and worry of it affecting my skin long-term made me stop using it on my face.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good scrub for your body. It smells great, leaves your skin feeling super smooth and clean. I would definitely recommend this in that case. If you want a face exfoliant, their green tea scrub is much gentler with the same result.

on 7/30/2017 4:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I've been using this scrub for 5 years and it is still the best scrub I've ever used. I always come back to this product. It gives my skin an instant glow after using it. I love the scent.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

A life saver for chest and back breakouts and the only thing that's worked for me for that issue.

After washing and conditioning my hair, I soap up my entire body and rinse. After rinsing I scrub my chest and back with this scrub, gently on the chest and a bit rougher on the back. It's kinda tricky to reach, but you'll get the hang of it. Leave it on for a minute or two and then rinse off. You have to be consistent with it and use it every day for it to work. It's worked so well for me and I hope this helps someone as well!