Givenchy Givenchy III

Givenchy Givenchy III

4.2

on 5/30/2017 6:41:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I had not worn this fragrance in years, and opened the package with some trepidation. How badly was this chypriest of chypres reformulated? The good news is that while it has changed, it is still in character and the storyline is not bad at all.

This is green, dry, mossy and for adults only. Not that it is overtly sexy, because that would be too crude and obvious. This is something to live in for a while, to think about, and to appreciate as a throwback to a time when women actually enjoyed wearing difficult fragrances. But that's not entirely fair, as the new Givenchy III can hardly be called difficult. It's too subtle and soft. For someone who likes "sweet" or "fresh", the initial burst may make you recoil. But here is where being an adult comes in. You wait it out. The soft, velvety green powdery notes will emerge, the initial bitterness will subside, and you will be wearing something that is timeless and elegant.

The textural equivalent would be the sound and feel of crossing your legs while wearing bottle green Shantung silk trousers.

The bottle is heavy frosted glass, devoid of frills and thrills. Understated, elegant, sleek and perfect for the juice inside.

on 7/13/2011 7:57:00 PM

I love green. But I tried the reissue of this and did not love it. Candlewax, old fashioned and boring. Maybe the vintage was better? Reminds me of EL Pleasures.

on 5/4/2009 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

The reformulated Givenchy III starts out bright and soapy, the scent equivalent of freshly laundered linens. As it dries down, a heart of lily of the valley emerges, which is buffered by a green and mossy base. Unlike many of the classic green chypres, Givenchy III never loses that just scrubbed quality, even in the very late drydown. Still, the hint of moss saves III from being just another Eau de Detergent. Clean Fragrances, take note: a scent can smell as pure as Ivory soap and still be fine fragrance!

on 6/17/2009 2:58:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

It took a few tries, but this has really grown on me; I'm not first and foremost a chypre-lover. Initially I get a hit of florals, with rose predominant, but it then all dries down to a very nice green. Good lasting power, and very suitable for anytime wear (would be an excellent office frag). I like to wear it on cooler days, but I bet it will stand up to heat just fine. Clearly made of excellent materials.

on 7/21/2009 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Beautiful chypre fragrance. The opening is lovely mossy green and drydown is dry woody spicy along the lines of Calandre. The more I smell this, the more I like it. I think I'll be needing a bottle for the fall.

I didn`t like it that much
I am not a big fan of chypre fragrance , but I bought it becouse
when I tested it at the store I thought it has notes of Jasmine
but after using it for a while I found it not that floral feminine fragrance
I thought it will be also the smell is not aromatic

on 7/15/2008 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

III's basenotes are fantastic, like several of the fragrances from that era. However, I like some of their topnotes, etc., more appealing rather than the greenish notes in III.

on 5/25/2008 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Ginenchy III, dating back to 1070, now again available, type:
green-chypre.
First impressions (head-note): lily-of-the-valley, rose, jasmin - the heart is very chypr and rather woody: santal, mousse de chene, vetier, chevrefeuille (don't know the English words). Drydown is lovely, a bit of patchouli, bergamote, incense. The basic idea here, obviously, was to create a very fresh fragrance based on a flowery, but very green accord. A young, dynamic kind of parfum, refined and elegant- perfect for all circumstances. I prefer it to Miss Dior, which is nor very popular with my freinds&family. Givenchy 3 is more likeable.

on 9/6/2008 12:46:00 AM

To me, this is an evening perfume--it just seems too powerfully elegant and sexy as a day scent. (I'd feel almost embarrassed to wear it to work.) For a romantic evening, this scent just exudes elegance and sensuality--there's something about it that makes me think of candlelight and moonlit nights. Love, love, love it for a romantic evening--very sexy.

on 10/8/2008 2:12:00 PM

Givency III is a beautiful sophisticated classic fragrance. For me it opens with a burst of lovely fresh flowers - makes me think of springtime, and then it settles down into a soft green powdery middle and bottom. I love the opening, but wished it lasted for a while longer. I also love the heart and base notes, so it is just great. It is like wearing a cashmere sweater on a fresh spring day! I've never smelled the original, but the new GIII is definitely "classic" in its own right. I agree with other reviews that it's in the same ball-park as Chanel 19, which I love and wear as well. No. 19 is just bolder and greener, and "sporty" compared to GIII, which is very romantic in a classic sense. I would also suggest that GIII acts in a similar way to Annick Goutal's Heure Exquise, which is also floral, musky, soft, and classy too. GIII is also the kind of fragrance you could wear all year round if you wanted (it is my great spring fragrance though), and could easily become a signature frag for the right person.

Popular Fragrances