Clairol Daily Defense conditioner

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have dry, coarse & curly virgin hair. I also cowash. I saw this at Walmart for super cheap & looked up reviews. They were awesome so I got a big pump bottle of the coconut for $1.78.
Smells like coconut, similar to the Suave coconut. The consistency is thin but not runny. It doesn't have as much slip as a high silicone conditioner but detangled my hair nicely. My hair feels soft & conditioned but not coated, oily or weighed down. Works great as a leave in too.
I'm really amazing at the quality for the the price. This could become my HG.
EDIT: After about a week my hair become really gross. It was super dry and my curls lost definition. My hair looked like matted dirty hay. It also looked like it was coated in a translucent white film. The only positive to this is the smell. The Coconut & also the Argan oil smell really good.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

So, I'm not sure if it's the same stuff, as the last review here is from '07, but I found this Daily Defense Moroccan Argan Oil conditioner at the Dollar Store and it's fantastic! I was actually on my way to buy my Renpure argan oil conditioner and thought it was funny that the bottles were similar, so I stopped to give it a sniff and it smelled so good! Not like the Renpure but along the lines of the actual Moroccanoil. Very warm.

The texture isn't that great, a little runny for conditioner, but good enough. I have long, thick hair so I pretty much always use 2-3 handfuls of any conditioner and this was the same.

Anyway, as to the results - they're lovely! I think it may even be better than my beloved Renpure. My hair is SO shiny. Oh, and the scent lingers, which I love. At a dollar a bottle, it's no big deal to use big old handfuls. I'm going to have to go back and sweep the shelves.

Oh, useful information - my hair is very healthy. I wash it as little as I can get away with and rarely use heat. So, I'm not sure how this conditioner might work on damaged hair or something like that.

on 2/23/2007 1:31:00 AM

This is a perfectly serviceable, nice conditioner. I have it in the tender apple scent- light and fruity and inoffensive. It leaves my hair soft and manageable. I have pretty good luck with drugstore conditioners, and this is no exception. For this price this is a good value.

on 1/7/2005 3:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

This product is GREAT! It leaves my hair feeling really soft. I used to use it when I had a relaxer, but it works even better on my natural hair(Af.Am. hair, tight coils). I can doctor it up when I want a deep conditioner, and I can water it down when I want a light leave-in.

edited to add:I'm a little sad since Clairol decided to discontinue their Daily Defense products. I have to hunt down a replacement conditioner :-(

on 11/7/2004 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This product was given to me. The tender apple. It is ok and I would buy it maybe if i was desperate. Nothing spectactular about it.

on 2/25/2007 1:18:00 PM

I saw this product being raved about on every natural hairboard so naturally I just HAD to buy a bottle. My heart was broken when I found out it had been discontinued. However, I would keep up the search regardless. I was sure SOMEBODY had to have a bottle. Well, I was right... a quick search through ebay found me a 13.5oz bottle. I was so excited for the superdetangling and moisturizing I had read so much about that I hopped right in the shower with shaking hands and a thirsty head of kinky coily 4a/b hair. My heart raced as I lathered it in for a co-wash. To my disappointment (I had after all spent 8 bucks on this darned bottle! $1 for product, $7 shipping) the slip was there but not at all what I thought it was going to do. I thought my hair would instantly detangle.... and it didn't. I thought my hair would be uber-moisturized.... and it wasn't. I'm going to stick to my Suave Tropical Coconut for detangling and moisturizing until I find something better.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Okay, this is my first review, I just had to chime in how much I love this stuff...

My Kenra Max [a discontinued item I found REALLY cheap at Trade Secret ...80% off as they were going to stop making it] is almost gone and I didn't know what I was going to do. While my hair isn't that long [5", 6"is a stretch...] I knew I didn't want to keep paying 25.95 for a single bottle of Kenra Moisturizing or 19.50 for a single bottle of back to basics rasberry almond...even as a two fer, when you use as much product as me, a light bulb had to finally go off...no more wasted money!!!!

So today, I conquered the Port Covington branch of Walmart and depleted them of their 11 bottles of DDTAC and upon opening the top of the bottle, at the store, and facing it downward, it is definitely thick...

Hmmm, I look forward to this being my [ahhh, I hate when others say it, but...] HOLY GRAIL!!!!!!

Okay, what's up with the benzyl alcohol, should I be concerned?

Thanks, Ladies...

edited to add...
I'm a believer!!!!!!! I used it last night, rinsed this morning, and it's true, the slippage is FANTASTIC. It is thicker than my back to basics rasberry almond, and FOR ME is way more detangling than my high end kenra, back to basics and aveda, which to me isn't all that detangling anyway. Ah, and the price. Yes, Yes, Yes, woo-wee!!!!!!!!!! Now I can sleep freely and just rinse in the morning, I am a happy camper... Ladies..jahmoka it does all of the above, gilroygal, yes, yes, yes, others, I love shrinkage, so it detangles and shrinks my hair right on up [ a sign of a healthy nappy, IMO ] I am black with 3c/4a/4b hair...

3/16/05--UPDATE CONES SUCK!!!
For 'cone relief VO5's selection of moisture milks are the biz-zomb. The moisture milk is exceptionally thick yet some [without the ingredient of biotin] [maybe the older ones??] are still watery enough to penetrate through tangles.

Ahhhhh, also white rain energizing citrus and extra body are cool..

My hair feels more like hair, less coated, and when I comb through, like once every 3 or 4 months LOL!!! it is nice and BIG AND POOFY!!!

Yeahhh!!

I hope you all try this as well. Cones suck, imo

on 10/13/2004 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have thick,curly hair thats 6 inches below my waist. I'm also a college student, so I'm on a budget. This stuff is GREAT. The ends of my hair are actually soft. It isn't thin and watery like many of the other conditioners in that price range. With some cheap conditioners, I've litterally used 2 handfuls of conditioner and still couldn't detangle my hair. I use a golf ball size amount of this and the comb slides right through my hair

on 4/24/2004 7:34:00 AM

I like this conditioner because it is cheap and does a great job of conditioning my hair. My hair feels silky (as when i deep condition using L'Oreal hair masque which is way more expensive).

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love this conditioner, my fave is Tropical Aloe! I have long, wavyhair-almost butt length and its very,very thick.Normal to oily that i wash everyday.Needless to say I go through alot of conditioner and this is perfect! Conditions my hair right down to the ends, leaving it soft shiny and tangle free.When it works this good and is SO affordable, it's become my staple for great hair .For even greater detangling, i use a wide tooth comb in the shower and comb it through my hair before rinsing.I use less this way too. TRY IT- IF YOU DON'T LIKE-USE IT TO SHAVE YOUR LEGS!!!!