MAC Cosmetics Stone Lip Pencil

MAC Cosmetics Stone Lip Pencil
Stone Lip Pencil

4.2

on 7/16/2006 8:54:00 PM

MAC Stone l/l. This is the perfect cool toned grey'd brown to wear with either very cool toned beige-nude, cool brown-nude, muted cool toned pink-nude, muted mauve-nude, muted lavendar nudes, or any other very muted (or grey'd) toned lipcolors. I love it, applied very lighthandedly, under MAC Bare Venus. Very lightly! I don't know why some insist on giving this l/l a bad rating just because the color didn't look good on them...alone....under a clear gloss. ? I thought the whole purpose of lipliner, was to line the lips. Yes, some l/l might be of a color suitable to fill in for a lipstick, but maybe not this one. I don't think that makes it a bad color. It serves it's purpose. And it's also a great color for those of us with VERY pigmented lips, who like a lip pencil that is muted enough to tone down the redness, before we apply a sheer nude shade. Stone is much like the discontinued MAC l/s: Folio. That too was a very hard color to wear "as is", thickly layered on. But if one used it very sheerly, over very naturally red lips, it did magic! It prep'd the pigmented lip for a nude lipstick, which otherwise would have just turned out too pink without it. If you wear a lot of cool toned nudes, and/or you have very pigmented lips (which bother you, as they do me), you will like Stone l/l. Stone is amongst my very favorite MAC beige-brown l/l (Stone: cool/ashy nude brown; Oak (muted neutral beige brown); Stripdown (slightwarm peach/pink'd nude beige brown); and Spice (the ultimate warm/cinnamon beige brown nude).

on 10/29/2010 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is something I would never, ever purchase on my own if it wasn't recommended by my most trusted YT makeup gurus. I'm not into browns at all when it comes to lip colors, let alone cool, ashy, darkish taupe-browns like this one. Well I use it for a very specific purpose: I line my lips with it over absolutely anything. Nudes, pales, pinks, reds, plums, you name it - this suits every look. What I do is line/fill in my lips with my shade of choice (wether that be a neutral, a pink, a burgundy etc) and then lightly go over the previous outline with this. Due to its cool tones and complete lack of red, this somehow adds volume to the lips without that tacky overlined effect. I find I can alter my lip shape dramatically with this; when I use it on its own, I like to line my lips and then blend it out towards the center of the mouth with my fingers or a q-tip, just because it shows up a little dark otherwise. But again, after you've completed the look, i.e. added your pink or your nude or whatever, it really looks like your natural lip stops where you've lined it with Stone, and not a milimeter sooner. Forget about shiny glosses and concealer-like lipsticks - this is what will make your lips look fuller. Will repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Stone is the best lip liner ever! I was so sad that they discontinued it had a brownish/ greyish/ mauve color. It is the only lip liner than looks good with my medium skin/ high pigmented red lips/ black hair. Guess what ladies i found an dupe to mac stone lip liner in nyx 825 called 1000 years i wished i found it earlier i would not be spending 15 bucks for every stone lip liner.
I FINALLY PUT A PIC IN THE PROFILE
Stone lipliner is swatch on the left
NYX #825 1000 years on my right

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is my HG lipliner. I was heartbroken when I heard it was gone. It's discontinued in the US, but I made my hubby grab me a few when he was in London. When I run out of my stash, I'll go to NYX 1,000 Years. It is an excellent dupe.

on 12/1/2011 4:46:00 PM

This lip liner is not for everyone! But it is perfect for me, maybe it's perfect for you too. I am really fair and have really pigmented pink lips. Finding lip liners (and lipsticks for that matter) is always a huge chore for me because most liners will turn orange-y or coral on me so I wind up having this weird lipline that is too warm for the lipstick I'm wearing (this has been the case with Subculture, Stripdown, Hodgepodge, Oak, Whirl..). I realized I have to be on the lookout for something that has zero traces of yellow in it. And after a long search, this is it. It's grey. Seriously. Just grey. Seems very corpse-ish, but it's perfect if you are like me and find yourself lightening all your lipcolors with greys or taupes and needing everything very muted to get the right overall look. This is really perfect with a taupe-y nude and I even wear it with peachy nudes like Creme de Nude and it just works on me. This is also great with Viva Glam II. Works with pinks too, it has been a lifesaver for me. I have already repurchased-I use it with everything!

on 12/18/2014 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

Soooo Stone lip liner had me perplexed. I'm an NW45 for reference and couldn't fathom how I could wear a greyish colored lip liner. MAC described this liner as muted greyish taupe brown...hmmm I said to myself. Pics of WOC wearing this on instagram made me decide to take the plunge. Now as far as wearing nudes I tend to stick to Cork or Chestnut as they help tone down a to bright nude lip. I scuttled down to the MAC counter and said screw it I'll give it a go. Well well well it seems that Stone compliments my more greyish looking nude lipsticks, specifically Fresh Brew. Goes on flawless and blends into my lips easily. I noticed Stone didn't interfere with my lip color like the heavy brown of Chestnut. It gave my lips a nice smooth look and I didn't look like a zombie. My look is line with Stone, Fresh Brew for lipstick and Spite as your lip glass. Viola

I LOVE THIS LINER!!! 💋 After I initially bought it I went back and bought three more just incase they discontinue it. I wear it with myth, viva glam II, snob, twig, faux, brave, blankety, velvet teddy or any lip colour that I want to make more 'grey'. This is definitely a love it or hate it liner. It comes up quite grey or sometimes mauve. It is on the drying side so lip prep required. My favourite way to wear it is with viva glam II, myth in the middle of my lips and sugarrimmed on top of that! I'm dying to try it with Melt Cosmetics Space Cake for a truly grey look.

Perfection. Thank you Pixiwoo sisters for letting me in on the secret! For the longest I had this love/hate relationship with lip liners. I have decently pigmented lips and I don't want to emphasize it. This make my lips look plumper, sculpted, awesome. I typically go for the pinky nude lip and needed the flatness of this color to achieve it. It also goes with every other color because of its lack of it. Use it lightly and it makes the lips look structured. A really perfect liner. Goes with everything. HG ladies. An unsung hero. Check it out.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

My gosh, I am IN LOVE with this lip liner !

I recently found out about its existence with the launch of Stone lipstick, and I am impressed at how wearable it is. Sometimes i combine it with other MAC lip liners or lipsticks but I love it on its own too.

I am NC25, with blue black hair and it looks brownish grey on me. Very unique and not very easy to find a dupe.

I fill my lips with it and i rarely match it with the lipstick, mostly because the pencil is way more long lasting than the lipstick.

I do not find it very drying but then again, I am used to matte lips so I am not the best to talk about its dryness.

I don't love the price but I love how the pencil is long enough so you will get many uses out of it.

What i also dont love about it is it's unavailability. It is most of the times sold out every where and you will probably have a hard time finding it, but if your local MAC store has it, GO GET IT. I am already trying to get a hold of a second one but everywhere I go, i get told that it is there is a shortage WORLDWIDE. Can you imagine that? Grey lips are SO in fashion right now.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This was THE lip pencil I used before discovering Test Pattern. I love neutral colors. This is a dark taupe, but the intensity is controlled by how much pressure you apply. Great color. Looks great with neutral lipsticks and glosses.