Bobbi Brown Extra Moisturizing Balm

Bobbi Brown Extra Moisturizing Balm
Extra Moisturizing Balm

3.9

Water, Petrolatum, Dimethicone, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Ceresin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Pentylene Glycol, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Lanolin Alcohol, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Extract, Pisum Sativum (Pea) Extract, Bambusa Vulgaris (Bamboo) Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cananga Odorata (Ylang Ylang), Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Bran) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Brassica Campestris (Rapeseed) Seed Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Flower Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Rosa Canina (Rose) Fruit Oil, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Di-C12-15 Alkyl Fumarate, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Glycerin, Caffeine, Cholesterol, Sucrose, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Panthenol, Whey Protein\Lactis Protein\Proteine Du Petit-Lait, Glucosamine HCL, Hydroxystearic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, PEG-8 Distearate, Stearic Acid, Behenyl Alcohol, Palmitic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxide, Trisodium EDTA, Linalool, Limonene, Geraniol, Citronellol, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol

on 2/5/2011 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have very dry skin. Accidentally let them talk me inot the 25SPF version which is not as moisterizing. Love the smell though some people seem to have problem with it. I have terrible eczema and allergies (I sneeze in the shower...) and have used this with great results. Not expensive as a little goes a long way. There is some stuff out there that is far mor expensive and not as good.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

I don't know why, when I tried the lovely and amazing Extra Repair serum, I didn't just go ahead and try this along with it. Instead I had to be stubborn and literally waste thousands of dollars trying to find the right moisturizer (right now I'm only using it at night...trying to not be wasteful and use some of my others for day). Ill start by telling my skin type. I'm 35, but showing MUCH more aging than a typical 35yr old. Smoking and sun damage all thru my 20's made time march across my face with big boots on. I finally stopped smoking and tanning, but my once totally normal skin has been left dehydrated, combination (oily nose), and dry in spots. I have fine lines out the wazoo...and recently have become VERY frustrated with my dehydration issues making them appear much worse. Enter BB's Extra Repair Serum. From the first use, my skin felt relieved, soft, hydrated, and healthy, it has become a staple in my skincare routine. A few weeks ago, I was about to run out of creme de la mer...and it hit me! Duh! Try the Cream that goes with the extra repair serum!! I was lucky enough to be able to obtain a large sample, and I began using it right away. When I woke the next morning, my face felt soft and hydrated for the first morning in ages! In just a weeks use along with the serum, my skin in improving drastically and beginning to balance out like when I was younger. My fine lines appear less visible because I'm not dried up like a prune anymore! I heard horror stories about the texture and how hard it is to spread....but folks....it's not intended to "spread" at all! This is a balm that must be warmed between the fingers and then patted onto the face....when done this way, it applies in seconds with no pulling or tugging whatsoever! I've found that a little goes a very long way, and if compared to other moisturizers in its category, it's really not that pricey...MUCH cheaper than creme de la mer, and I'm getting 20x better results with the BB balm! It does take a few minutes to entirely absorb, but I've found that it also makes a superb moisturizer for under makeup as well. I will be making this my day cream as well. This particular balm does not have SPF, which is ok w me because I get SPF in my primer and foundation...I have found that the SPF version of this balm is actually a bit different in consistency, but it's still amazing as well...I choose this non-sunscreen version because it actually seems a bit richer than its sister product, and for me, it hydrates a bit better. I never thought I'd get relief from my dehydration from a cream or moisturizer, as serums are usually the best bet for actual dehydration (there is a big difference in dehydration and dryness), but this cream worked wonders and is now a mainstay in my skincare regimen! Love it!! The packaging is bulky and heavy...and the jar (as always) is a bit unsanitary. When traveling, I have found that buying a stash if BB's empty travel jars has proves very useful with products like this this one..something to think about! Happy skin caring everyone!
***EDIT****after much use, I am sad to say that although this moisturizer is wonderfully hydrating, it is definitely making me look older! I don't know how...but even though my face feels soft and supple, my fine lines are much more noticeable when I use it. As an experiment, I switched to one I had laying around, and sure enough, within a day of not using this product, my fine lines and wrinkles started to look less prominent. I am ever so sad! This is not my miracle after all :(. I won't be repurchasing and can't say Id recommend it to anyone who is showing signs of aging.

on 10/9/2010 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this cream so much! I warm it between my fingers and pat it on. I am 45 and was told the other day I looked 35. That hasn't happened in a very long time for me! Lotsa moisture! As I said, make sure and warm it and pat it.

on 3/13/2010 11:35:00 PM

Yeah, I totally agree with the reviewers who found the texture odd/sticky, and it takes a bit of time/finesse to pat it in (as opposed to simply slapping on your typical cream or lotion moisturizer. And the price...geez...

But it works! I have dry skin, made even flakier by using Tazorac. This really does away with the flakes. I like to use it over a serum (currently Olay Regenerist, but I switch around), as it helps hold in more moisture.

Since you only need a little bit, the jar should last for a good while.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is a very nice heavy moisturizer for those of us with persistent dry skin. I know some women don't care for its scent but I don't mind it at all.

That said, I don't like the fact that this product is so thick that it's hard to spread on the skin and so expensive. (I got my jar on eBay and it still was no bargain.) However, if I can either swap for this item or find it on eBay, I'll probably buy it again.

Extra Repair Moisturizing Balm is the diamond cult classic product from Bobbi Brown's skin care line. Apparently if Bobbi could only have one product, this would be it. Extra Repair line was created by Bobbi herself for herself as she has dry skin and realized it needed something extra. The result was a full Extra repair line. If you know Bobbi she is a very big fan of layering skin care, of layering moisturizer.

This technique only works ofcourse if you have dry to severely dry skin or winter skin and need something "Extra".
What you would is is after cleansing and toning, Extra Balm Rinse-Lathering tube soap-buffing grains for face-hydrating face tonic-intensive skin supplement-hydrating eye cream, you would apply your face cream of choice then this over the top. Or simply use the balm by itself. It is a dewy, rich, balm that really stays put, along with Petrolatum, Lanolin, Shea butter and other plant oils it contains a nice array of skin care ingredient and is packaged in a beautiful glass jar which is cumbersome 50ml though looks gorgeous on the vanity.

I just can't understand how an Estee lauder owned brand can have skin care that is more expensive than their parent company, even more expensive than CLINIQUE. If you look closely, many of MAC, Bobbi Brown, Clinique skin care is similar to estee lauder skin care. Though Bobbi Brown has a preponderance to jar packaging. Not very sanitary. If you want to use this, close the lid very quickly and only use a q tip to take out product not your fingers. Having said that the packaging is gorgeous, I just wish it wasnt so ridiculously expensive. It really is a scam, clinique skin care and estee lauder skin care is cheaper than this, might as well use Daywear spf 15 then apply the stick foundation. Also this product is a bit too fragrant for my liking, remember fragrance whether natural or not, has the possibility of stimulating irritation which cascades and eventually hurts skin. This product is laden with essential oils and while it does have a clean, botanic, citrus scent, it may be doing harm via the fragrance. I look at it as more of an expensive treat solely due to packaging. Sigh........

on 3/14/2016 3:04:00 PM

I have a jar of the SPF25 version. I've had it a long time, and I enjoy it, but I will probably not be repurchasing it due to the price, and I like a better smelling higher SPF cream better. But I got a generous sample of this to try. First, I note the consistency is stiffer, which might be due to the fact that it's brand new, but maybe not. So it is more difficult to rub in. Also, the fragrance is a lot stronger and a little bit different. It smells more lavender and less citrusy.

on 2/26/2016 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is the thickest balm I have ever used, but works great on very dry winter skin. I find I need to take a small amount, add 2 drops of argan oil, and warm in my palm in order to easily pat and rub into my face. I will use this in the winter around my nose and any dry patches on my face. Any left over I rub into the back of my hands. I only use it at night and my skin is SUPER soft, and dry patches resolved in the morning. I just wish it was just a tad easier to apply. I got a deluxe sample of this balm, and has lasted me 1 full month. So I can only imagine how long the full size jar will last. Highly recommended for dry skin for those in the Midwest.

on 7/16/2013 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This is my all time favourite cream/moisturizer. Words are not enough to describe how wonderful this is. I see instant results with this. It makes my skin so nice and plump, smooth, soft, evens out my skintone, hydrated, and provides anti-aging benefits. I am in love. This is on par with my L'Occitane Divine Cream which i love too and see the same results with that. I have already repurchased. A little goes a long way. in the summer time it is a tad bit heavy so i use it only at night and durnig the day i make do with just a serum or only sunscreen and tinted moisturizer/Future Skin foundation. When i don't use this even for a day or two, I can see the difference in my skin texture. Its literally 'food and vitamins' for my skin. My HG cream alongside L'Occitane Divine Cream.

For reference, I'm normal/combination skin.

This was one of my few mistakes with Bobbi Brown products - what a pointless balm! I was looking for a thick cream and fell into the brand trap, taking home this mediocre moisturizer for a fortune. It has a lot of fragrance, spreads unevenly and feels plastic. On top of it all, it doesn't make my skin feel nor look better. I should have saved my $$ and bought Avene's Cicalfate (which I later did and love).