Maybelline New York Great Lash Curved Brush

Maybelline New York Great Lash Curved Brush

3.5

on 11/1/2016 11:17:00 PM

I have been using this mascara (specifically the curved brush Great Lash) for years off and on and I always come back to it. It is reasonably priced and easy to find. I have long, thin lashes and this makes them seem fuller and it creates almost a tightline effect. I don't need length so I can't say if this lengthens a lot but it really bulks em up. The formula is wet and I always wipe the wand as it picks up a lot. It does not flake and lasts all day. And it does not clump on me at all. You can apply a second coat as long as the first one is still damp. It just checks every box for a great mascara (unless you need serious length). I don't like the brush on the regular formula but this one works well to get all my lashes.

on 7/5/2015 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Once upon a time, this was my HG mascara. Back in high school and college, I loved it (I had been a devotee of the original GL mascara until I discovered the curved brush)

Now, I don't know if it's because my expectations have changed or because the formula changed, but this mascara is not as great as I remember. It's a perfectly fine, basic mascara. It darkens my lashes nicely, and adds just a touch of extra volume, but it doesn't hold a curl or make my straight lashes curl without a lash curler.

I probably won't buy it again because there are better mascaras out there, and always new ones to try.

on 12/26/2014 6:17:00 PM

I really like the original formula and brush of Great Lash and picked up one of the Blackest Black with the curved brush by mistake recently. I have eyelashes that perpetually curl in toward my eye or back against my eyelid, on the same eye, which make it difficult to get on mascara on all the lashes without making a mess. I had previously been under the impression with curved brushes that you put the curve bending down under the lashes, but have now learned the curve is supposed to be bumped/pointed up for application and it makes a big difference! I can coat my lashes while pushing them where they need to go, eliminating some of the mess/frustration of my wayward lashes.

This formula is the same as traditional GL BB - rich black pigmentation, wet but not clumpy, giving good volume and length but eh for holding curl. Lasts beautifully without smearing or crumbling or making lashes crunchy. Washes off fairly easily.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

The last 2yrs I lived in the good ol' U.S. of A. (NY State) I bought this mascara every 2 months. I loved it. It curled my lashes, could wrap around my almond shaped eye and provided me w/ the coolest easiest cat-eyed look ever. It reached those NO good end lashes that usually hardly got coated by other brushes. The Colossal Cat Eye's a good replacement, however, even the Glam Black doesn't seem as black as the Great Lashes blackest black. My eye lashes are naturally black, I'm brown skinned so I need extremely JET color! I now live in Toronto Canada and canNOT find this paticular mascara anywhere!! I've used HE to dime store mascaras since I started using make-up...Everything from Shu-Emora to L.A. Looks and I just LOVE Great Lash b/c of the small brush, black hue and ability to build up day or night time looks...OH and the price of course. I am saddened (well 1st World problem) that I no longer can purchase this paticular type. However, I do find it at the odd Walmart when I visit my parents in Florida. Next time I'll stock up on it (if and when I find it) as I did Full N Soft and Jordana (two others I love that they don't sell in Toronto).

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Omg Ive never loved a mascara SO MUCH.
For a super natural look, don't put so much.
For super thick/long lashes, put as many coats as you desire.

I use the regular one of this (without the curl) for a more natural look, and this one for a more full, yet not over the top look. :)

Awesome.

First off who doesn't love pink? The tube is to die for and so cute. Holds curl and holds curl all day (10 +hours) seperate and lengthens my lashes and doesn't clump. I work in high end cosmetics and I still buy this over prestige beciase it works and it's cheap.

on 1/1/2014 1:50:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

This is a good mascara, I don't get why people are complaining. It does what it's supposed to do: defines my lashes, doesn't clump or flake, and lasts throughout the day. Also it's really easy to remove with water or makeup wipes. I can't say how it compares to high end mascaras because I've never used any, but even if it doesn't perform as well that is to be expected. The price is really good, even for drugstore. As for the curved brush, imo it doesn't make the application process any easier or more difficult. So overall this mascara is nice and simple. If I ever need a basic mascara I'll be sure to pick this up again.

on 11/9/2013 11:28:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I will say that I really like the texture/thickness of the mascara as it goes on, if only it had a different brush (some people like a curved brush but I find it hard to get the mascara where I want it without smearing mascara all over myself)... but this is literally the most basic mascara ever. It could almost be described as a "beginner" mascara. It doesn't clump, and it makes your eyelashes darker. That's about it. No magical properties. No lengthening or volumizing, but it doesn't clump and it makes your lashes darker. I keep this mascara in my dance bag just in case I'm caught after class and someone wants to go somewhere.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This mascara is pretty good at adding a bit of volume if you already have long lashes. (It also adds length, but not too much.) I don't like curved brushes, but I can deal with it. One downside to it is that it clumps a little. Otherwise, it's a great mascara for about $4. :)
Edit: After using this for a little while, it's more of a meh mascara for me. Your lashes are definitely more noticeable, but it clumps and washes off very easily, so don't go in water with this on! I prefer NYC's Instant Lash mascara to this one. It's a better mascara for $3 less.

on 6/9/2012 2:37:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I don't know what I was thinking...I mean honestly. I have this guilty pleasure of buying a mascara every time I go to a drug store and considering how cheap this one was, I saw that the reviews weren't too bad so I gave it a try. I even left the wand out over night to get the best results possible and this is what I got:

PROS:
Doesn't clump
Wand is perfect size and shape for my small eyes
Cheap, very affordable
Easy to find, always in stock
Black color
Does OK job of lengthening for a low-end one
No flaking
Easy to remove

CONS:
DOES NOT HOLD A CURL!!! MAJOR DROOPAGE
Stiff lashes
No volume
Very wet formula
Makes my lashes look like skinny/STRAIGHT down spikes...not attractive at all