Chanel Rouge Double Intensité - all shades

No Image

4.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse

For long wearing comfort, the Chanel Double Intensite fit the bill. I have the Soft Rose, which is a medium toned, grown-up rose (not overly saccharine baby pink) which adds a bit of youthful color to my moderately pigmented lips. The trick is to let the base coat dry thoroughly ( a minute or so) and then apply the crystalline gloss. The gloss gradually fades to a moist finish, it is not distractingly glossy at all.
My schedule occasionally requires me to wear a lip product that lasts at least half a day, if not more. So this really fits the bill, although for most occasions, I prefer an organic natural lip product (when I don't need such long wear) - if you're interested, see my reviews of Mineral Fusion, Gabriel, Naturkosmetic ( a German line) and a couple more organic American lines.

I have not yet found a long-lasting organic lipstick/gloss, I've looked at a lot, so if you have found one, let me know on the message board..Thanks!

on 11/6/2016 1:16:00 PM

Best lip color ever. This product is for true make-up connoisseurs, not teenage girls. It's an upper end brand make-up and it is fantastic. It is my only must have lip color. The only people who have trouble with this lip color, are people who don't know how to put it on. First you put on the color, and let it dry completely. Once it is dry you apply the gloss for moisture. It will calm down to a matte finish after awhile. The gloss is kind of required to set the color, and the color is fabulous. (If you know how to put on makeup). I read some other reviews and if the gloss ran all the way to someones chin, you have to wonder exactly how much she put on. LOL! This product has been out for years and gone through various different colors over the years. Chanel tends to discontinue colors and release new colors regularly.

on 6/5/2015 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

There aren't a lot of reviews of these two-step lipcolors online, but the ones out there are mostly positive. So I was surprised how much I disliked this. It started flaking off in patches by midday, and I was able to remove it with water and a little rubbing. It's a shame because the colors are nicer than a lot of similar lipsticks, but not as nice as a regular lipstick -- and if it's not long-lasting what's the point? Maybe it works better if you do thin layers and wait for them to dry, but I don't want to spend half an hour putting on lipstick.

on 1/4/2013 6:44:00 PM

I just purchased this in violet sapphire. I knew I wanted to try the lipstick, but wasn't sure which color until the saleswoman put it on her hand. I was surprised to see that "violet Sapphire" was nothing like the sparkly brown color is looked like in the bottle. The sparkle is warm, but the base is almost purplish, and the yellow and purple sort of cancel out and make a beautiful glossy neutral rose tone. I am very pleased with the color. As for permanence, the lipstick does last several hours and through eating, though greasy and oily foods will remove it sooner. It doesn't last quite as long as Cover Girl Outlast, but it also is much less drying, smells better, and comes in more beautiful colors (in my opinion).

Update 4/30/2013 - This is still my favorite, and despite the high cost, I bought another one! I hope they don't discontinue my shade.

Update 9/12/2014 - STILL my favorite! I just wanted to comment that violet sapphire is discontinued, but not really gone - it's just called "dazzling bronze". Love it!

on 2/4/2015 2:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I am reviewing the 2013/2014? reformulated product line. I have these in two shades - #39 Coral Crush and #57 Darling Pink. Coral Crush is a soft peachy coral that has more pink than orange and Darling Pink is for me, the perfect pink as it is more warm than cool, is not too pale (nude), not too red, not too bright and is just the perfect girly pink without being Barbie. I have been searching my whole life for this shade and have always struggled to find my perfect pink lip! Both shades contain very fine shimmer, but do not worry as they are very, very fine. I see this is listed as a lip gloss here on MUA but I think these are more of a liquid lipstick and are listed under such on the Chanel website. Anyway, these are some of the best lipsticks ever. I really don't know why I don't use these more often!

It has a double ended applicator, a creamy stain colour on one end and a clear gloss on the other. I find that the colour applies best on lips which are not too moist or have too much lip balm on as it streaks and does not apply evenly on emollient lips. I imagine this would be drying on its own but the gloss takes care of this and keeps lips moisturised throughout wear. I was quite impressed. I would say that too much gloss ends up on the applicator so I make sure to wipe it off or otherwise it can get runny on the lips... Easy to do though. The gloss is somewhat sticky but it isn't tacky, if that makes any sense. Hair will stick to it though if caught.

As for wear, these are the longest wearing lipsticks I own. I can't give you an hour count but all I can say is that these last through out drinking and eating and will last an entire day. Given that you don't eat something extremely greasy, or rub at them, apply lip balm or some do some other action that will directly remove the pigment.

They are $2 more expensive than other Chanel lipsticks here in Australia, but this isn't too bad considering the price is high regardless. Apart from that, I don't really have anything negative to say except that the product is quite long in shape and may not fit into very small make up pouches/ bags. Also, this is just me guessing, but I feel like these may not work so well on mature ladies that have many lines on their lips as the texture may accentuate them. This is just my guess though I could be wrong.

If you're looking for a stain that really stains and lasts a long time you need this! I got the color rose agate, which i think is a discontinued color now, but I love it! The stain really sinks in and the gloss really makes it pop. I got almost all day wear without having to reapply the stain. The packaging is cute, but it's a little expensive (but this is Chanel we're talking about) lol

on 5/11/2008 2:22:00 PM

Hm. I bought this quite some time ago in Rosestone (yes, Chanel also has a more traditional lipstick in the same shade). I'd seen it in Allure Magazine or somewhere and got hooked. (In fact, this started me on a huge Chanel kick which was followed by a huge Dior kick - don't tell hubby how much these cost!!).
These don't do well on my lips. Sorry. I had put them into a sort of secondary makeup location and then pulled out Rosestone (not sure whether I have another or not; I know I bought Mandarine Coral and returned it because it was so pale). I wore it out to dinner. It looked okay.
What bothers me is that in the morning, my lips totally peeled. It was really a LOT of peeling. I mean the whole skin of my lips came off, as if they'd been sunburned. It was yucko (though not painful and apparently my lips have enough layers that I could spare one).
Now this peeling cannot be good. So I think this product is, in effect, toxic to me!!
I actually like the L'Oreal two-step long-wearing lippie better. I suppose it's possible that they're all made by the same factory in Germany and are really the same thing - wouldn't surprise me.

on 4/20/2010 1:29:00 PM

I've gone through several shades of the Rouge Double Intensite lipsticks, and they uniformly last for hours, gleefully ignoring drinks and meals. (Sadly, I don't know how they'd last under an hour-long kiss-fest.) You do need to re-apply lip gloss occasionally, but you don't have to use the one on the other end of the Double Intensite tube. You can use any old lip gloss - even blistick! The saddest thing about these lippies is that Chanel discontinues the colors pretty quickly, and the most popular ones seem to get sold out and never replenished in the stores, but that's OK because there's always one of the new shades that will please.

on 10/10/2011 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Cool

This gloss is fantastic! I was introduced to it during a wedding and fell in love with the formula because it lasted through lunch, pictures, the wedding, 2 hours of post-wedding drinking & karaoke. It seriously lasts all day; I put some on around 1 pm yesterday, went shopping, ate dinner, went out for drinks and woke up this morning with some color still left on my lips!

The trick is to let it sit for about a minute before you add the clear gloss (and only use a LITTLE bit of the gloss-the reviewer who said it ran down her chin obviously overdid it with the gloss)

I have three shades of Double Intensite: Rose Quartz (medium pink); Rose Pearl (darker pink with gold sparkle) and Violet Sapphire (which is actually a cooler red-berry with gold sparkle-no real violet to it at all)

on 8/24/2011 2:03:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have this gloss in crystal rose. I believe it was a limited edition color. I hate this so much. It is a typical long wearing formula. The color on one end, the gloss on the other. In the tube it is a beautiful peach with gold flecks. On your lips it is clear. It has no color at all. That isn't even the worst part. The gloss seems to drip down your mouth. I've worn this twice and both times my chin is covered in the clear gloss. I've been wearing gloss for many years and never had this problem. Do not waste your money on this particular color.