Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Softening Cream Cleanser

Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Softening Cream Cleanser
No Title

4.4

Not tested on animals

2015 formula:Water (Aqua), Hydrogenated Polydecene (emollient thickener), Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate (mild cleansing agent), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (antioxidant plant oil/emollient), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (stabilizer), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (mild cleansing agent), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Beta-Glucan (soothing agent), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate (surfactant/emulsifier), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin (preservative).Old formula:Water, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate (very mild cleansing agent), Hydrogenated Polydecene (emollient), Acrylates Copolymer (suspending agent and film former), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (plant oil/emollient), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (thickener), Polysorbate-80 (emulsifier), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (lather agent), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (anti-irritant), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum) (emollient), Beta-Glucan (skin-conditioning agent), PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate (thickener), Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol (slip agents), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent), Laureth-4 (surfactant), Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin (all preservatives), Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster).

on 7/31/2014 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I HAD THE SAMPLE.
This and the toner in the skin recovery line both have a milky cream elegant like feeling on the skin. I don't know how much a face wash can really do to help in moisturizing dry skin as it washes right off but this will not hurt dry skin.

on 4/29/2014 3:47:00 PM

I have very super sensitive skin that is prone to dryness, irritation and break outs.

I like this cleanser because:

- it hydrates my skin & does not dry up my skin
- feels clean and refresh
- calms my redness
- does not cause irritation or break outs
- no fragrance
- gentle

Other products I have tried and like are:

- Moisture Boost Cleanser OR Skin Recovery Cleanser
- Skin Recovery Toner OR Moisture Boost Toner
- Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
- Skin Balancing Anti-oxidant Serum
- Skin Balancing Gel Moisturizer
- RESIST Anti-Aging Clear Skin Hydrator
- The Earth Sourced Skincare Line.

You can order various sample kits and try them to find your skin care regime that works for you. I mix and match my products. Definitely recommend Paula Choice products!

In my opinion this is an average cleanser. It does well at not drying out my face too much but I don't like the fact that it doesn't foam up and lather into my skin. It is a smooth lotion that when washed off doesn't feel like it did a whole lot for me.

Don't disregard this product because I do have a few girlsfriends that LOVE it but it just wasn't one of my favorites :(

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

My skin and eyes became a huge problem so I decided to try this cleanser. I like it, it has a nice lite creamy consistency and cleans my skin without leaving it tight or dry. All the irritation and redness I had seems to be gone (yeah!) I use it am and pm with a cotton cloth and follow with witch hazel. It takes my powder foundation off easily, I can't say if it works on eye makeup as I haven't been able to wear any for sometime now. I will keep using until my eyes are well again, then I may switch to another cleanser but I would definately keep this on hand in case of another flare. Very nice gentle, effective cleanser at a very reasonable price.

I have a sample of this (must be the new formula because I received it in October 2010) and I'm impressed and may order the FS. The first time I used it, i used too much and it was slightly drying (normal/combo skin). Using a quarter-sized amount cleans well and doesn't make my face feel dry. I love that it has no fragrance and is nonfoaming so it should work well with my Clarisonic. Will update if my opinion changes.

on 10/15/2010 10:15:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I can't believe this doesn't have a higher buy again rating. I have super dry, roscea prone skin in the winter and this stuff was awesome. It has a milky texture which really reminds me of Philosophy Purity minus all the fragrance. It gets all of my makeup off and leaves my skin feeling soft. I tried her Moisture Boost Cleanser (normal to dry) in the summer when my face wasn't dry and I actually prefer this one (this one is for normal to extra dry). This one's texture is more milky while the Moisture Boost is more of a silky lotion. If you like Philosophy Purity, you'll love this.

Btw, buy the pump! I did this time and it makes it so much better. Two pumps is the perfect amount.

Also, my husband's razor burned went away and he admitted he had been using my cleanser. He used to use harsh stuff and now he is sold on this delicate formula, ha!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

EDIT: It's true that the formula of this cleanser has undergone slight changes, but in my experience it does not affect its effectiveness. I've been using this cleanser for years now and got a new bottle last month (using the new formula for over a year actually). They have included a small amount of mineral oil in it as one reviewer claims, which is true. But then mineral oil does not affect the cleansers ability to cut through sunscreen -- on the contrary, it would help with that. Shiseido's own cleansing oil recommended to remove its sunscreens is based on mineral oil.
Here is how I get off my Shiseido sunscreen with this cleanser: slightly dampen my face, I do not want to have too much water to dilute the cleanser. Use a good amount of cleanser, a good quarter size (I use less in the mornings and a bottle lasts months). Apply cleanser to face with finger tips, massage with circular motions for 30 seconds to a minute. Thoroughly rinse with clean water. I use 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Shiseido Lotion SPF 55 daily on my face and use only this cleanser. Have continued this regimen for over three years. If the cleanser did not remove every bit of sunscreen my skin would have been a mess. (Once I switched my cleanser for a week, the blackhead population on my face boomed).

This is my HG cleanser. I have purchased countless bottles since it came out and plan to purchase many more bottles as long as Paula continues to make these. If she ever stops making them I'd boycott her for the rest of my life! (Well, that's probably not true since Paula makes some other HG products of mine as well. )
End of EDIT.
The cleanser is meant for normal to very dry skin, and I have mostly normal skin which tends to be combination if not taken care of carefully. With the skin balancing cleanser I have never had the issue of dryness or a greasy residue. I use it most of the year, only in the hight of the summer do I switch to something more refreshing - usually a gel cleanser. I have started with her One Step Cleanser for Normal to Dry skin which is not bad as well. But I prefer the Skin Recovery Cleanser since it leaves my skin much softer and has a better cleansing power without causing any oiliness.

The cleanser itself is a velvety smooth lotion, no coloring agents and no added fragrance. Fragrance-free does not necessarily mean scent free though, since most cosmetic ingredients themselves do smell - albeit very faintly. I guess people who use mostly scented products do not register these smells since they are far less pronounced than the smell of scented products, but years long use of fragrance free products hones one nose. In that respect, the Skin Recovery Cleanser smells very pleasant. The cleanser feels more like a lotion type cleanser and I do not get any foam (the second ingredient is indeed a surfactant, but a very mild one). However, unlike most other lotion type cleansers it does not leave any greasy residue and rinses completely clear with water. It also has great cleansing power. Removes all my make-up and sunscreen without the need of a washcloth or other make-up remover. Not a small feast, since I use Shiseido's sunscreens which are notoriously difficult to remove. For me this cleanser also serves as an eye make-up remover since it does not irritate my rather sensitive eyes and does a very good job of removing mascara and even Bobbi Brown's gel eye liners - another rather stay put product. I never wear waterproof mascara, so I cannot comment on how well it would work there.

Overall, I really do enjoy this product a lot. The texture is great, no disturbing smell, the cleansing power is terrific - and that's without leaving the skin dry or taut. It takes off all make-up and does not bother my eyes. I am more than happy to pay the price which Paula asks for it. I'd be willing to pay more given the quality of the product - don't tell her though ;) (BTW I just realized that Paula is actually asking more for it, she must have raised her prices very recently.) It retails $21.95 for 16 oz or $14.9 for 8 oz. Not dirt cheap, but then the product is top notch.

I love PC's products!! None of them have let me down! I get tons of compliments on my skin. I like this cleanser for the winter. It feels nice to the touch and it rinses clean. It removes my makeup (I don't wear any long lasting m/u, so I can't really comment on removing heavy duty stuff). Overall, it's a great cleanser for dry skin.

on 10/30/2005 4:11:00 PM

I love this cleanser. I use this and Aquanil. It does not remove my make-up, eye make-up or sunscreen; therefore, I have to use a make-up remover before I cleanse with it. BUT it does not dry or irritate my skin. I am on my 3rd bottle or it and do not plan to change. It is very soothing & leaves my skin feeling very comfortable & smooth. Love it!

on 12/12/2004 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

All I ask of a cleanser is that it leave my face feeling clean (with no film) without drying it out. This definitely fits the bill. I'd definitely buy it again.