Mario Badescu Keratoplast Cream Soap

No Image

3.0

INGREDIENTS: Deionized Water,Stearic Acid,Propylene Glycol, Keratoplast,Dipelargonate,Glycerin,Lauramide DEA,Octyl Palmitate,Glyceryl Isostearate,Cetyl Alcohol,Triethanolamine,Isodecylparaben,Imidazolidinyl Urea,Quaternium-15,Methylparaben,Propylparaben 8/15/10

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I was afraid to try this product at first, based on some of the reviews here. I have dry senstive skin. However I am prone to some subceasous filaments and a few clogged pores around my chin and nose. I have senstive skin and dry skin in my mid 30's and although I have good skin for my age I find some of my cleaners are to drying even for my skin and I find that my skin barrier is easily eroded even by some "gentle acids" .

Other faces washes that I rotate include:
La Roche Posay Tluerine for dry skin wash : ( can be a bit drying for me)
Dover derma care face bar and face wash
Nuxe Miel cleanser (in more humid, hot summer conditions)
Cetaphil
Clarin's shea gentle foaming cleaner (less so recently)
Shea Moisture coconut milk cleaning Milk
Soap and Glory cleansing milk (summer)
Skincetutcitals nonstop gentle foaming face wash

So a little background, my skin is very dry, not cracking dry but seems to be difficult to repair my barrier, living in Colorado its gotten worse and I am find that although I do not belive in spending a lot on a gentle cleanser, I need to try and make a switch. Soo I purchased this and the Orange Cleaning soap. My skin and eyes get incredibly irrated with cleaners that foam a lot and I do not like how my skin feels afterwards, so I steer completely steer of those cleansers.

This will not remove any makeup I see a lot of complaints about that. I understand that most gentle cleaners will not. If you want a cleaner that will go use something that is stronger, that is not the purpose of this cleaner. I use a makeup balm to remove my makeup or good old Abolne wipe out gently with a warm damp cloth and then go in with this it is more a milky consistity which I prefer. I do not use this in the eye area and don't expect it to remove eye makeup for me. I have the carination and rice milk cleanser which is even more creamy I recommend that for makeup remover as well, or as a second cleanse with a warm damp cloth.
I make sure to gently massage my face and rinse very well with luke warm water. I understand some people complaing about the feel of your skin feeling coated but for me it felt like it left a residue in a good way. My skin barrier felt instct, my eye area was not red and my skin felt clean but not squaeky or profoundly clean but just clean. I follow up with the keteroplast toner or the glyocylic acid toner for dry skin and then I go about my moisturizing schedule. Sometimes it takes a day or a few days for me to realize a cleaner is sucking the moisture out of my skin but I haven't found that to be the case and I have less flakey skin around my nose and chin area.
Over all I like this cleaner and will cont to use for now and rotate it in my collection the price and the amount you get is great and it has active intrigdents minus all the frills which I am more attracted too.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Okay I guess, didn't make my skin feel very clean, but nice and soft feeling.
However, when I had a bad breakout my skin reacted very angrily to this product, which tells me it's not doing anything good for my skin.
Will not buy again, did not finish.

on 2/13/2016 10:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

My sister loves MB cleansers, so I figured I'd try one that seemed custom-made for my skin.

Pros:
- The scent! I love it!
- ...

Cons:
- Nothing about this cleanser "cleanses." I never expect a cleanser to remove makeup, so that's not even the issue—I felt this one didn't even lather beneath my fingers in any way. It didn't feel like it did anything to my skin at all, except sit there. The few times I used this without a hearty dose of rosewater toner afterward, I broke out.
- As with most cream cleansers, it's hard to get it all off. I'd find weird spots along my hairline thinking I had rinsed thoroughly. Might not be unique to MB.

Overall:
This is a weird product. I have absolutely no reason to purchase it again, so I use it now for shaving my legs when I run out of shaving cream.

on 8/2/2015 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This was another one of my infamous "on a whim" type purchases.. Did I need more cleansers? Probably not. But this specific cleanser caught my eye in Ulta the other day based on claims that Keratoplast is a redness reducer and good for sensitive skin so I thought it would be worth a try. Unfortunately I have to say, this is hands down the worse cleansers I have ever used.

The first night I used it after my weekly 25% Lactic acid peel treatment - I thought this product left my skin moisturized and really smooth (it didn't even occur to me at the time that could have just been the professional mask I had done earlier in the day). Like many others, I too noted a film left behind using this, but I thought at the time this was a good thing as perhaps it had left some skin beneficial ingredients behind, acting as a light moisturizer. Since this was the case/result, I did not bother with adding serum, lotion, etc. - I decided to let it work its magic... I also used this the next morning, in the exact same way (no serum or moisturizer) - since it was my day off, I didn't even wear foundation after/over it... Later that night when I went to wash my face before bed, I noticed a few scattered tiny red bumps on my face. I thought that was odd because I NEVER breakout. However, I chalked it up to "purging" and my skin acclimating to a new (and what I THOUGHT) was a good product. I washed as usual... The next morning I went to cleans with this product and upon looking in the mirror I noticed those tiny red bumps on my cheeks had now spread, and formed into clusters of really scaly dry patches. I also had a huge zit on my chin (which never happens). I was like "wait a minute now, something is not right..." I used the cleanser again anyhow, threw on my makeup, took off and went about my day. When I returned home aprx 5 hours later, I had 3 more zits!!!! That's when I grabbed the bottle and took a real good look at all of the active ingredients. Right away I noted 3 different parabens which while shocking (and was definitely going to be another reason to stop using this) I wasn't so sure that would lead to immediate issues (long term yes though). This list read like an atomic friggin bomb ingredients list - I could barely pronounce much of it. "What the h*ll is Imidazolidinyl urea" I wondered? So I turned to the Google Gods for answers on that one... Imidazolidinyl urea an antimicrobial preservative that works by forming formaldehyde in cosmetic products. People exposed to such formaldehyde-releasing ingredients may develop a formaldehyde allergy or an allergy to the ingredient itself. This ingredient is NOT in any of my other products (I checked) - and I don't think it will ever be used in any of my products ever again, well, until they use it to embalm my body when I go to meet my maker.

If the above does not scare you away from usage, I don't know what will. For those who may be thinking purging is normal, let me tell you that it is, if using a good MEDICAL GRADE or deeply penetrating face product, NOT a thick product such as this that just "sits" on the skin. Although I have acne scars from when I was a teen eons ago, I haven't actually suffered a breakout in over 25 years, and I typically only get say 1 very small pimple right before Aunt Flo comes to town. Also, my weekly peel had nothing to do with the above problems bc I have been doing those weekly off and on for 5 years with no problems. Ultimately I know without a doubt it was the MB cleanser because when I discontinued using this and went back to my regular cleanser and toner, guess what? My skin cleared up in ONE DAY. So this was not a purge in the positive sense - it was a warning signal from my skin to stop using this. This is a terrible product! This doesn't deserve even 1 star.

on 11/21/2013 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I want to preface my review by saying the MB Keratoplast line I feel is meant specifically
for those with rosacea, and may not necessarily be a good fit for those with
sensitive skin, especially sensitive, dry skin like mine.
When it was time for a skin care routine change, I decided to give MB a try as
I have liked some of their products in the past. I considered them a more
"basic" line (like another favorite Kiehl's) that seemed to fit my sensitive skin
and budget. Therefore, reading the labels on the products (and looking at the
display at Ulta) the Keratoplast line seemed to fit the bill.
Unfortunately, I had no idea what "keratoplast" was, I assumed a botanical
as the labeling on the bottle mentioned "soothing" and so forth. But after using
the soap and lotion for a few days, I could not understand why my skin was so
irritated. After a bit of research on the MB site and the internet in general,
I found out that "keratoplast" is a BHA, somewhat like salicylic acid , that is
used as an exfoliant in skin care. Ah, no wonder my skin was so sore. It actually
wasn't flaking or red, but it was very touch sensitive, and my hands were developing
the little eczema pimples I usually get when I use a product my skin hates. I can
tolerate an exfoliant a few times a week, but I was using it twice a day in both my
cleanser and toner, way too much for my sensitive skin.
Is the PH correct for this product to actually exfoliate? I have no idea but
it sure made my skin react as if I'd used my Mia very roughly or over applied my
AHAs or BHAs.
As far as the cleanser itself, I enjoyed using it. The scent was mild if non-existent
and only a little was needed. I actually believe the first few days I used it on its own,
I used waaay too much and most likely added to my irritation problem. As far as makeup
removal is concerned, I only use "light makeup" and no eye makeup at all, and I still
felt I needed to double cleanse. I like to use the other MB cream soaps or makeup removers to remove my makeup first then use another cleanser, or to use a cleanser
twice, but I have been a double cleanse gal for years ;-) I found using this with other MB cleansers, or on its own did not make a difference as far as irritation, both ways were a no go for me.
In conclusion, those with sensitive skin, proceed with caution and cut your
exfoliants from your routine until you know how your skin will react and for those that
can't use exfoliants because of your sensitivity, I'd skip this one and try the Cream
Soap or the Cucumber Cream Soap instead.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is my morning face wash. I would not use it to remove my makeup as it just won't work, but it does a good job at removing the sweat and oil that accumulates while I sleep. I think the steam from the shower helps at removing that layer of "film" other reviewers complain about. It's not perfect but I like that after using this in conjunction with the Keratoplast Lotion and Calming Cream my face is nice and clear, not red or irritated as it used to look. My skin looks smoother and healthier. I would say I have combination skin that is oily and flaky all over, and this doesn't increase oiliness nor skin congestion. It also doesn't cause that tight feeling that many cleansers do.

I like this cleanser for 3 reasons. First, it's got tons of great ingredients for anti-aging and overall skin health, like keratoplast (basically, a beta hydroxy acid that helps firm the skin and refine pores) and aloe + bee pollen to sooth skin sensitivities. Second, I love the scent and texture. It's got this lovely honeysuckle/white floral scent that lingers faintly even after cleansing. Finally, this is the kind of cleanser that you WANT to have on your skin. I don't understand the negative reviewers complaining that this doesn't take off their makeup, because I don't think you should rely on just one cleanser to do everything. I use a harsher cleanser to take off all my makeup and follow up with this lighter cleanser that soothes my skin while I have an already bare face. For those purposes, it's really nice and I recommend.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This cleanser dried out my skin so badly. My skin is dry/clog prone, sensitive and I sometimes get broken caps. I bought this cleanser in the hopes it would help with the broken caps. It has a strong smell and thick texture. I felt like I was rubbing shampoo on my face. My face felt so dehydrated and raw after using this. Never again will I use this!! I wish I could give it ZERO lippies!!

on 1/13/2012 9:36:00 AM

This is a very gentle cleanser, the sort you could use in the morning. It doesn't remove make-up in the slightest so you need to double cleanse if you want to use this.

This did not irritate my rosacea but the main thing I want a cleanser to do is remove make-up and unfortunately this doesn't even come close to doing that.

on 5/25/2011 2:58:00 PM

I switched to this from the MB cucumber cream soap. I have subtype 1 rosacea, and loads of broken capillaries so I thought I'd give it a try. I like it much better than the cucumber cream soap. I love the creamy feel, and the scent is faint. It does leave a slight film, but it's less than the cucumber cream soap.
I use it in the morning since it doesn't remove make-up thoroughly enough. At night I use MB gycolic cleanser to take the day off my face.

UPDATE: I never bought again.