L'Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Powder

L'Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Powder
image 1image 2image 3

3.5

Talc, Zea Mays/Corn Starch, Dimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Octylododecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Zeolite, Sorbic Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylparaben, BHT, Panthenol. ( /- May Contain: CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499/Iron Oxides, CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, Mica, CI 77007/Ultramarines, CI 15850/Red 7 Lake, FIL 026863/1. (Taken from packaging, 09/2010, USA)

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I supposedly have so-so thoughts about this powder but the cons overpower the pros.

Pros:
• Nice extra coverage
• Wide range of color selection
• Flattering pearl pigments

I have to say that the most of the products from the True Match line is patchy for me, but this powder is by far the poorest in performance. I like the extra coverage it gives on top of any foundation, and the pearl pigments in it is very flattering. It leaves you a matte to semi-matte in between finish. Plus+ too for the color range and undertones they are providing for the True Match foundations and powders (although it's not easy to get hands on some shades as they may not be marketed on my country).

Cons:
• Creases instantly
• Settles in to every line you have in your face
• Emphasizes pores
• Patchy
• Very cakey (although L'Oreal claims this to be non-cakey)
• Bad for touchups, because it will make you look cakey

But no matter how I apply this: basic powder brush, Wayne Goss puff method or even Kylie Jenner's wet sponge, I get instant creasing. I mean it, it instantly creases in minutes, everywhere. Even after richly moisturizing and priming. This settles horribly in to fine lines, smile lines and undereye lines. This gave me the worst, prominent streaks in my forehead just because I raised my brows for half a minute while applying mascara. Another bad thing is that this makes you cakey even in one, ample layer. Because if you apply it thinly and barely there, it wouldn't do anything. This also emphasizes pores like a nightmare, and I can't emphasize that enough.

And I know I have super oily skin but I've had products that keeps my oil at bay for 1 hour minimum. This only lasts for a few minutes in me, even in a nice, breezy day; I am all oiled up by the time I finish doing my makeup. This is also a bad powder for touchups because you will just end up adding more horror in to your face. Without properly blending it, it comes off really patchy on the skin and requires a lot of effort just to make it look decent. I've used this for 2 weeks and I am ashamed of how I tolerated the way this looked in my skin. I would most probably use this alone or just on top of moisturizer instead of throwing it away, but this partners badly even with the foundation from the same line.

on 8/8/2016 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Oxidizes – I love the concept of the True Match line but unfortunately their lightest shade W1 was too dark for me in this powder. In the package it looks perfect but on my skin it goes on too dark and then oxidizes. I was SO disappointed because I wanted the yellowish tone to minimize my ruddiness. If youre not super pale this would be amazing but sadly I will have to return this as it made my face look orange. I also agree that the cost is a little high for a drugstore product as this was almost $9 at Target. I also bought their Mineral Foundation in W1 and it was also way too dark for me.

To Read all 807 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is my go-to powder! I have combination skin and I find that this doesn't make me break out even if I'm sometimes guilty of retouching and covering my oily T-zone with this powder.

I used to adore this powder, I used it with the coordinating foundation for years, especially as a teenager. It works really well as a setting powder, taking away shine and helping your foundation stay on longer...

But as I grew older I explored other powders and wanted more coverage than this could offer. This powder doesnt provide coverage, you could probably get any shade within a few levels of your coloring and still use it because it applies almost translucent! It can also be rather drying on my skin especially if you dont moisturize enough it will cling to dry areas.

I also think this powder is becoming TOO expensive for what it really is..being made with cheap ingredients (second ingredient being CORN STARCH) they shouldnt be charging so much for this powder..on the website they have it listed as $10.95 in my opinion its should be half that price since it is mostly corn starch...

I havent used this in a couple years, I think I will buy one for nostalgia reasons and see if I still like it but lately i have been using sephora's baked foundation powder (which provides coverage). I will update my review ...if I find anything has changed.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Bought this in W1 to go with the matching foundation and concealer. Here's what went down. :P

Price- I think this was about $9 at Target. About as much as my Colorstay pressed powder, but there's a little less powder in this than the Colorstay. Wish this powder was a couple bucks less, but price is not terrible.

Packaging- Standard pressed powder compact, nothing new here. Has a mirror and small round sponge puff thing on the bottle half, but I never really use this part. Powder part on the top half. I use a kabuki brush to apply this for a more even look. Sometimes when applying the powder, it leaves, well, powder on stuff, lol. :D But this happens to me with most pressed powders, so no big deal. I just try to tap off the excess. Compact is a little small, wish this was bigger like the Colorstay.

Appearance- This is not the palest powder I've seen, so it's not a 100% match to my pale skin. But close enough. :) It's not quite a matte powder (I find the Colorstay to be more matte), and it has little tiny specs of shimmer in it (which I think is what gives it the slight dewy appearance). Not usually a fan of shimmer, but it's not a total deal breaker. I find I don't need to apply a ton of this powder- it's light coverage, but I only need a dusting to set my foundation anyway. Hopefully this lasts awhile before having to repurchase (I do remember going through my Colorstay powder quickly, and that's a bigger pan. So we'll see). I reapply about halfway through the day when my chin and nose areas start to look and feel a little oily.

Acne- Did not notice any acne with this product. :) But did notice an increase in dry skin. Definitely would moisturize with this.

Overall- Not a HG powder, but good enough. :) Wish the price was a little cheaper. Wish it was a bit more matte, but again, it's not a total deal breaker. All you really need is a light enough dusting to set your foundation, so you don't need to go crazy with this (I think if you apply too much, it will look cakey and just not good). Better applied with a kabuki brush than the little sponge thing it comes with. Lightweight feel, also. Recommend giving this a try at least. :)

on 3/6/2016 2:22:00 AM

Did the formulation change or did I get a dud? I repurchased L'Oreal True Match in Natural Beige after loving it the first time around. I don't know why it makes me so orange and cakey-looking now. My pores are visibly noticeable! Pros are that the selection in this line are quite varied, price is relatively reasonable, and packaging is sturdy. I still hit pan the second time around because it was still usable and I did not want my money to go to waste. However, I will not be purchasing from this line again because it was just an average effect the second time around.

I'm a big fan of this powder. You will be able to find a powder that matches you perfectly. It really is blendable and smooths out my skin beautifully. It is not totally matte and gives a nice natural finish and I do use it for touch ups on my oily skin. It also gives a bit of coverage on it's own and I have been wearing just this as a light coverage powder foundation recently although it works on top of makeup as well. The packaging is a little annoying because both the top and bottom of it open. The top opens to reveal the powder and the bottom compartment holds the makeup sponge and a mirror. I have to awkwardly hold the compact with both sides open to get more powder on the sponge and then use the mirror on the flipside to see where i'm applying it. Slightly annoying but totally worth it and not an issue if you're near a regular mirror.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I purchased this powder in shade W8 Crème Café from my local walmart. Originally I purchased the N8 but the color is too cool toned for me.

According the L'Oreal website it is supposed to:

Match skin tone and texture.
Non-Cakey.
Oil-free.
And that you can... "blot shine, blend for a natural finish, or build for more coverage. True Match™ Powder’s formula contains a hint of pearl pigments that enhance your skin’s tone."

I say ... TRUE. This is probably the second drugstore product I can rely on (aside from my Revlon Colorstay) and say that it truly delivers. And I was really impressed.

I'm not a big fan of powders because they always look cakey to me but this doesn't. It is more of a winter shade for me, as I'm lacking my gorgeous Vegas summer glow. I do not wear this alone I use it to set my foundation ONLY. So I can't really give a review of using this AS a foundation. I prefer liquid foundations. It definitely helps correct any orange tint on my Kat Von D foundation.

Cost: $10.95 (on their website varies in store)
Finish: Matte
Comes with a mirror and a sponge (I use a brush)

My application:

After applying my foundation I use a fluffy powder blush to apply it as a setting powder or just to even out the orange undertone of my foundation or even bring color back into my face after using an invisible (no such thing on brown skin I'm sorry) powder.

Pros:
-Affordable
- "Available in 33 true-to-you shades. " according the their website. (My Walmart had about 10)
-Works great as a setting powder
-Blots shine
-Looks natural
-Easy to go Compact
-Easily accessible to buy locally (walmart, target, drugstores etc.)

Cons:
-Have to color match in-store

Overall this performs really well as a setting powder. I don't see myself really looking for another setting powder because honestly, why bother when this performs. I didn't find that it transferred more than any other powder if at all. I would repurchase it.

on 1/29/2016 9:17:00 PM

I have this in the shade cocoa just for contouring. The powder is very pigmented and creamy, so its extremely easy to blend this. You only need a little!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This was the worst powder I have ever purchased in my life, and I've tried tons...yes it seems so soft when you apply it yet it sinks into your pores, and the color range is horrible all I saw was orange in my pores, it accentuated every crevice of my skin, and made my skin look dry and I'm an oily girl ughhhh waste of mola.

Video Reviews & Tutorials