Cover Girl Professional Loose Powder

3.5

on 4/6/2016 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

This is a really great powder overall. I used to use this back in the day when I was in high school and forgot about it for years as I dabbled more and more into the world of high end beauty/makeup.

I got mine in the shade "translucent fair" although I have noticed it is sometimes called "transparent fair" which leads me to believe they are 2 different products...but back to the review: when applied with a damp beauty blender this gives me the most flawless finish and brightening effect under my eyes, and I actually enjoy that the fair shade is slightly yellow toned (even if I am neutral/cool toned). The shimmer in the powder completely fades upon application as does the scent which I really don't mind all that much.

The only reason I give it 4 stars is because of the price. Though not quite what most would consider expensive, I feel that $7 at walmart even is just too much. For the amount you get and the cheapy packaging, I feel that they could stand to lower the price by a couple of dollars. Other than that, I think this is a great setting powder and baking powder if you're into that sort of thing! Will continue to re-purchase and use!

on 4/11/2015 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

This formula works fine for me, but I prefer pressed powder simply because it's much less messy to use. This stuff gets all over the place, and I'm kinda klutzy. It's like a Three Stooges scene sometimes. And sometimes I forget to dress AFTER putting my makeup on, and I have to change. And I like to take my powder with me.

on 12/18/2014 5:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is my second favorite loose powder besides ben nye powder I get for like six bucks it leaves my face with a nice finish not cakey the smell reminds me of like old lady makeup but I get over it it helps my oily skin and doesn't make me breakup the only really bad thing is the packaging because whenever I buy a new one the lid tends to break but what do you expect for that price but I defintlet recommend it

on 3/16/2014 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Terrible stuff. This is the only powder I've ever bought that went into a garbage can the same day I bought it.

The pros: it's cheap. For me, that was it.

The cons: smells awful (think old dusty violets, talcum powder, sour cream, expired dollar store perfume - bleghh). The lid literally fell off several times in the 5 minutes it takes for me to apply powder and place it with the rest of my make-up which is 2 metres or less away from my mirror. That thing flat out refuses to stay on. All the shades I tried looked peachy, orange, pink or just ashy - even the translucent. Oh, and SPARKLEY. And I don't mean that soft, subtle pretty luminousity - I mean like glitter slapped on the face. Since it is so dusty and flies all over the place, I had glitter on my hands, my mirror. . .everywhere it should not be. It didn't mattify, nor even set my make-up. It's grainey and looks like you are wearing hella powder, in real life and especially in pictures. No thanks.

Avoid this at all costs. I'm really not sure who this would look good on - but there are many better DS powders to try with better textures and no scent - so I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Try CoverGirl's Advanced Radiance powder instead.

on 9/30/2013 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Typically with trans loose powders I like to really pat a lot into my skin because I need the extra oil absorption. I can't do that with this powder; it's true to being translucent but will impart some color, possibly changing the color of your foundation. (I'm wondering if maybe I just got the wrong color, even though the online guide told me which on to pick.) I do like how light and airy it feels, though.

I bought Translucent Medium and I find it comes off a little too pinky on my olive skin. Yet on the back of my hand, it looks quite yellowish. Therefore, I typically use this very lightly as a finishing powder, and in this way I cannot say what it does for oil absorption. (I will experiment more with this and post my findings another time...)

I don't mind the packaging and think it's pretty. I've also never broken the lid (I must be lucky) and use it as a dispensing dish with each use. (It would be nice if it was a screwtop lid.) This powder does contain glittery particles in it, but they don't really show up in an annoyingly hideous way. It looks nice.

Overall, I think this is a nice translucent colored powder that, at the very least, will work great as a finishing powder, or shine reducer on glorious bare skin. It's relatively cheap and worth the try, anyway.

UPDATE.1: I upped my rating for this. I did buy this in the lightest (Trans Fair) color and it works great with my faded tan winter skin. Don't use this for extra coverage but sets my foundation wonderfully. I love this drugstore powder.

Update.2: i've used this in mostly the lighter colors and the sparkle never is obvious on my med-to-dark skin. But i recently bought Trans Honey and the sparkle seems a bit stronger. Its quite lovely if you blend enough, and could easily use it for a summer-like bronzer. I guess because its translucent it still works well, but the sparkle might definitely bother some in the darker colors. I dont mind it though, but wear it on cheeks and forehead for dimension.
I'm still a fan of this pwdr, and often wear it with just a little concealer these days,even though i still have problem skin. It almost looks like a sheer foundation on me after a few hours.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

PROS: This did control my oily skin! Imo, the smell is nice. It would also work as a highlighter.

CONS: MESSY! It's less messy if you put tape over some of the holes though. I really didn't like the puff in this, not useful at all. The color options are way too light! I'm not even that dark, and the Translucent Medium made me look so pale! This was very cakey, made my pores look huge, and made me breakout! The breakouts were probably from the perfume in this. It made my face look really pink too :P The quality wasn't worth what I payed for, not buying again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I love, love, LOVE this powder. It keeps the face matte, and controls oily & shiny skin. Its translucent and not cakey! Do not use the puff that comes with it, use the fluffy(est) brush you have. I like to use my eco-tools powder brush, it works great. I just dislike the packaging, not good for in your purse since I dont have the puff inside. But overall, the product inside is good.

on 11/10/2009 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

The first time I tried this was when I was very tight on money and could not afford my department store loose powder (you know what I mean - we've all been there). I was very pleasantly surprised with the product. It worked well with my foundation, it was very affordable (dirt cheap compared to department store brands), and very easy to find (just about any drugstore or discount store carries it). It soon became my loose powder of choice. I admit I have tried other drugstore powders just to see if there is something better, but haven't found anything that does better for the price.

I bought this in 115, translucent medium. My skin is a slight natural tan.

I use a face cream, liquid foundation and I set it with this. It works fine on me. It give me a matte look and gets rid of shine for me. I don't have much shine on the forehead so, I can see why it won't work on everyone.

I hate the packaging since if you turn it upside down it'll get everywhere. So I put a tape over some of the holes and it's fine now. I don't really mind the smell, the smell does no linger for long. It is very simple and simple results.

I have been buying this for years and I'll buy again unless I see something else.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

worst loose powder ever. doesn't do anything except for look ugly