Cover Girl Professional Loose Powder

No Title

3.6

on 8/22/2015 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I actually used to own this powder years ago, but I decided to buy it again at Ulta during a BOGO50% sale a few months ago, because I needed a cheap loose powder to use for "baking" under the eyes. Just as I remember from when I bought it the first time around, it has that signature Noxzema scent of Cover Girl products, and a plastic sifter that seems a bit flimsy. It also comes with a powder puff, which I immediately took out because I will never use it. Instead, I apply this powder with a foam wedge sponge for use under the eyes, and a powder brush for the rest of the face.

When used for baking concealer under the eyes, this powder works quite nicely. It sets my Maybelline Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser concealer to a flawless finish. The shade Translucent Fair looks good whether I am pale or tan. It has yellow undertones, whereas Translucent Light looks more pink/peach. While I generally prefer the convenience of a pressed powder, I'd buy this again even if I were to use it only under the eyes.

on 5/1/2015 1:43:00 PM

I have been using this powder for several years and I love it! I have oily skin with large pores which makes finding a foundation very difficult, so most days I just put concealer on any spots and then use this powder. I like the coverage - it evens out my skin and looks really natural, and I like that my freckles still show through. I also have sensitive and acne-prone skin and this has never been an issue, and I've been using it almost every day for years. I've read that people have an issue with the smell, but I actually really like the smell of this. I Highly recommend this if you're looking for a good loose powder.

on 4/11/2015 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

This formula works fine for me, but I prefer pressed powder simply because it's much less messy to use. This stuff gets all over the place, and I'm kinda klutzy. It's like a Three Stooges scene sometimes. And sometimes I forget to dress AFTER putting my makeup on, and I have to change. And I like to take my powder with me.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Ok, so the first and most important thing you need to know is that this loose powder has a VERY strong scent. It reminds me of the scent of Noxema, but more powdery. I hate the scent of this. I don't even know why a loose powder needs to have scent added. Completely unnecessary. And unwelcome. Even my cat leaves the room when I dust this on with a brush.

I threw away the powder puff "applicator" as soon as I opened the package. Actually, I gave it to my cat to see if he would like to use it as a toy. He turned his nose up at it. Don't even bother with that powder puff because a good quality makeup brush will work much better.

Awful smell and terrible powder puff aside, the powder itself does the trick in terms of providing a nice even finish over liquid foundation makeup. It wears well, the shade is good. Not too pale, not too yellow, not too warm...

So, Cover Girl? You had a good thing going with the finish this powder provides. But could you please lay off the fragrance/scent?

The Scent. Is. Awful. I won't repurchase, but I will probably use it until it runs out because once you get past the awful scent and the pitiful included powder puff applicator, it is actually a decent powder. I'll just hold my nose and try to not to breathe after I apply it with a good quality brush.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have been buying this powder for almost a year now! This powder sets my liquid foundation perfectly. It's feels very light on the skin, and blends great. It hides any oiliness I may have throughout the day, though I usually reapply after about 6 hours.

The package comes with a puff, but I do not use it because it ends up applying WAY to much. I would recommend using a brush. And also beware of the lid! Every single one I have had ends up cracking into a million pieces!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I've been using this powder for about 3 years now and can't get enough, I apply it after my liquid foundation and sometimes even on my lashes for that extra length trick. It comes with a small applicator but I prefer to use a brush. The pricing is great ($6) and it hides my oily forehead although only temporarily, after about 6 hours it starts to come through again.

on 1/18/2015 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Firstly, this stuff is surprisingly good. This might be a stretch for some, but I actually stopped using bare minerals (on top of liquid foundation) and started using this. Not only is it completely affordable and lasts forever, but it actually looks good and non greasy.

I throw out the puff thing and use a brush to apply instead. I also try not to carry the actual powder container because I have never had one that doesn't break. The lids always, always crack no matter how much I try and be gentle. That's the only thing that is terrible about this product.

Hopefully they change that but keep the price and the amount of product in the bin. There is a lot of product in there - it goes a long way.

I never get oily and I never apply more. I cannot believe how well it sets my makeup. Also, I have been using it for over a year so this isn't an infatuation period. It is the real deal.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This is the only loose powder I have ever liked. I am very fair, with yellow undertones (NC15), and "Translucent Fair" is a great color match. I don't wear liquid foundation, but I hate having shiny skin, so I always wear a powder. This mattifies my very oily skin, but has a bit of radiance to it, that enhances my complexion, rather than dulls it. Although I don't want shiny skin, I also don't want dull, flaky skin, so to find a loose powder that meets my needs makes me very happy. I use either a fluffy brush, or the included puff to apply, because it's so soft and fluffy, it applies the powder nicely. This does have the classic Noxzema scent, often associated with Covergirl cosmetics, but it isn't as strong as in their pressed powder. I don't mind it, but would prefer it to be fragrance free. The lid stays on well in my makeup bag, and I take it everywhere with me! One container lasts forever, so the price is great!

on 11/18/2014 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I wear the CG loose powder in Translucent Fair #105. My skin tone is medium with yellow undertones, and is oily but not acne prone. I find that this shade matches so well in the winter time. I've used it in the summertime, but put some bronzer over it to match my tanner skin. I have the Medium shade in 115, so might try that next summer and see if it matches better at that time.

Because I have oily skin, I find that loose powders work the best for me. Also, because of having oily skin, powders oxidize on my skin, so I have to be careful not to go too dark with any powder. The Fair #105 is perfect for this. I can see why very fair skinned people would have a hard time with the Fair, since it works perfectly on my medium skin (I tan really well and never get pasty).

I wouldn't consider any of these powders truly "Translucent." They definitely have some color in them. When I think of Translucent I think of an almost white finishing powder. What surprised me about the powders (I can only speak for the Light and Medium) is that they are yellow toned, at least enough for me. Most CG foundations are so pink I can't even go there. I used to spend more $$$ on higher end powders thinking that all drugstore loose powders are too pink. I was really impressed how natural these powders appear on my complexion.

I use this over my foundation, set with rose water spray, and my makeup is intact, not blotchy and looking good after a 10 hour day. The smell is noticeable, but it usually doesn't bother me and I find that it goes away pretty quickly. I would occasionally replace the powder puff for sanitary purposes, or use a fluffy brush to apply. I can't believe I didn't discover this product sooner! It's been around forever and I shied away assuming that the colors would be too pink for me. This is my HG powder.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My favorite powder. Goes on nice, stays on nice, and makes my skin feel super soft and smooth.

It really smells horrible, as others have mentioned.
I wish CG would change the scent.

The lid doesn't screw on, just pulls off, so I'm always worried about it spilling in my purse. And the holes in the container to distribute the powder are literal crap. I'm talking I dumped out the remainder of a different powder and put it in there. I'm not a huge fan of the little furry puff it comes with, so I use a brush, but that's me.

Basically, we have a love-hate relationship.