Cover Girl Professional Loose Powder

No Title

3.5

on 8/24/2016 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I was looking to switch from MAC loose mineral powder for a long time. Then I found this! I was paying $43 every two months at MAC, and then decided to give this a try since I was running low. What a surprise. I mean, I was blown away! The coverage was incredible, not cakey, and kept a matte finish all day long with no touch ups! It didn't enhance my fine lines, and didn't have an orange tinge to it like years ago when I switched to MAC in the first place. At $7.99, this is now my go to powder.... Save your money, this is professional MAC quality for a fraction of the cost!

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

No No No No No!!!!!! Don't buy this powder!!!!! You will very disappointed. Smell very bad and powder is so cakey on the skin. Also this powder has a simmer on it. And package is so cheap and powder will make so massy!!

on 4/11/2015 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

This formula works fine for me, but I prefer pressed powder simply because it's much less messy to use. This stuff gets all over the place, and I'm kinda klutzy. It's like a Three Stooges scene sometimes. And sometimes I forget to dress AFTER putting my makeup on, and I have to change. And I like to take my powder with me.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Ok, so the first and most important thing you need to know is that this loose powder has a VERY strong scent. It reminds me of the scent of Noxema, but more powdery. I hate the scent of this. I don't even know why a loose powder needs to have scent added. Completely unnecessary. And unwelcome. Even my cat leaves the room when I dust this on with a brush.

I threw away the powder puff "applicator" as soon as I opened the package. Actually, I gave it to my cat to see if he would like to use it as a toy. He turned his nose up at it. Don't even bother with that powder puff because a good quality makeup brush will work much better.

Awful smell and terrible powder puff aside, the powder itself does the trick in terms of providing a nice even finish over liquid foundation makeup. It wears well, the shade is good. Not too pale, not too yellow, not too warm...

So, Cover Girl? You had a good thing going with the finish this powder provides. But could you please lay off the fragrance/scent?

The Scent. Is. Awful. I won't repurchase, but I will probably use it until it runs out because once you get past the awful scent and the pitiful included powder puff applicator, it is actually a decent powder. I'll just hold my nose and try to not to breathe after I apply it with a good quality brush.

on 3/6/2014 5:34:00 PM

I've been using loose powder for over 17 years. I really didn't like this one. Yet somehow I used the whole thing. I only realized how poor it was when I started using something new. This powder did not last. Within two hours of application I was shiny. I thought it was just the nature of my combination skin. I now use Revlon photoready and my shine stays away for hours.

on 9/30/2013 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Typically with trans loose powders I like to really pat a lot into my skin because I need the extra oil absorption. I can't do that with this powder; it's true to being translucent but will impart some color, possibly changing the color of your foundation. (I'm wondering if maybe I just got the wrong color, even though the online guide told me which on to pick.) I do like how light and airy it feels, though.

I bought Translucent Medium and I find it comes off a little too pinky on my olive skin. Yet on the back of my hand, it looks quite yellowish. Therefore, I typically use this very lightly as a finishing powder, and in this way I cannot say what it does for oil absorption. (I will experiment more with this and post my findings another time...)

I don't mind the packaging and think it's pretty. I've also never broken the lid (I must be lucky) and use it as a dispensing dish with each use. (It would be nice if it was a screwtop lid.) This powder does contain glittery particles in it, but they don't really show up in an annoyingly hideous way. It looks nice.

Overall, I think this is a nice translucent colored powder that, at the very least, will work great as a finishing powder, or shine reducer on glorious bare skin. It's relatively cheap and worth the try, anyway.

UPDATE.1: I upped my rating for this. I did buy this in the lightest (Trans Fair) color and it works great with my faded tan winter skin. Don't use this for extra coverage but sets my foundation wonderfully. I love this drugstore powder.

Update.2: i've used this in mostly the lighter colors and the sparkle never is obvious on my med-to-dark skin. But i recently bought Trans Honey and the sparkle seems a bit stronger. Its quite lovely if you blend enough, and could easily use it for a summer-like bronzer. I guess because its translucent it still works well, but the sparkle might definitely bother some in the darker colors. I dont mind it though, but wear it on cheeks and forehead for dimension.
I'm still a fan of this pwdr, and often wear it with just a little concealer these days,even though i still have problem skin. It almost looks like a sheer foundation on me after a few hours.

on 6/26/2013 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool

Prior to this, I have always used only pressed powder. My mom kept trying to get me to try a loose powder, but I always resisted. But after trying several loose powders that didn't really work for me or weren't anything special, I decided to give this a try. I am so glad I did. I don't like the little puff that comes with it, so I apply this with a brush instead.

I purchased this in translucent medium. When I first opened the package, I was worried that it would be thick and cakey. But it is not at all. It's very light and easy to apply. It is very sheer and you can barely see it once it is on your face. I like that a lot. I spent a lot of time trying to find a pressed powder to do that. The price is reasonable and a little bit goes a long way. Other reviewers mentioned a smell that is somewhat off-putting, but I have not noticed that at all.

The only thing I don't care for with this powder is the packaging. It is not always easy to get the powder out and it kind of flies all over the place. I usually end up with powder all over the sink and my arms. But that is very minor, so I can live with it. The things I like about this powder outnumber the one minor little negative. I have no idea why I didn't try using a loose powder sooner. I will definitely repurchase this product when I run out.

Edit 8-15-2014
I have one major complaint about this foundation. It is NOT translucent. I had this in medium, and was hoping it would be colorless over my foundation. It's not. It has a definite tint to it. It doesn't look horrible. Even though I did end up repurchasing this, I also ended up throwing it out. I decided to get the Maybelline Loose Powder instead. The light is a perfect match for my Maybelline Dream Matte Liquid Mousse foundation in Natural Beige. There are instructions on the back that makes it a snap to find the right shade. I plan on sticking with loose powder, but I'm pretty much done with this one.

Lid sucks! Anyway, just HAD to replace that hideous yellow stuff, that L.A. Colors calls "light" loose powder! YUCKO!!! This powder is just the right "light" color and it goes on smooth, lasting all day long! LOVIN' it so far! But, I don't get any sparkles or glitter at all! And, I guess I'm in the minority on that, as I sure wouldn't mind a bit of it! Oh, well! It works better than most loose powders, so I ain't complainin'! I don't use the puff that comes with this. I prefer a brush. Also, I get a slight Noxzema-like odor from this, but it isn't bad at all. I don't smell it at all once it's been applied. GREAT stuff!

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I use this as an everyday powder to set my makeup. It's not expensive, so I don't mind wasting it. I'm an NC50, so I use it in Honey. I started using this after a good good review from a YouTube guru. Good, inexpensive product. I think it was like $10 at Target.

on 9/13/2011 8:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

A really great product at a drugstore price.

I've tried both high and low-end loose powders and truly this is at the top of my list. Annoying smell aside (it doesn't linger), it really makes you look polished and the effect lasts for hours. Also, it doesn't make you look lifeless like some powders do. It can be worn alone or as a finishing powder with great results.