Cover Girl Professional Loose Powder

No Title

3.3

on 4/20/2017 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I just bought this yesterday for little over 5$ (Canadian) since it was on special and I was actually looking for an inexpensive loose powder. I’ve been watching loads of videos on how to bake the undereye and set makeup so needless to say, I was dying to try it out at home. However, I wasn’t going to spring for Laura Mercier for my first loose powder purchase since it’s way up there in price.

So far, I’m thoroughly enjoying this powder.

The pros include: decent quantity, brightening yellow undertones, perfectly mattifying and a little goes a long way. For baking, I just dipped the tip of my RT sponge and it went on my undereye nicely. I patted a bit on the rest of my face with a fluffy powder brush and it pretty much just melted in with my foundation.

Of course there are a couple of cons, such as the floral scent which some people certainly loathe (I actually like it because it reminds me of old school Noxema!), not to mention the cheapie packaging. I don’t think it woud break the bank for CG to at least change the top cover from the horrid 80’s brown color to something else. It’s also a very messy product but that will inevitably be the case for any drugstore loose powder.

The powder came with a small velour-like puff which I actually love. I don’t use it to apply the CG loose powder however. Instead, I’ve put it inside my FitMe Poreless Pressed powder because I find it does a far better job than their sponge!

I will update my rating if I break out or something in a week. But so far I have to say that I’m really loving this powder and I’m so glad I spent 5 something instead of 45$!

UPDATE: No breakouts, love this powder!

on 5/1/2015 1:43:00 PM

I have been using this powder for several years and I love it! I have oily skin with large pores which makes finding a foundation very difficult, so most days I just put concealer on any spots and then use this powder. I like the coverage - it evens out my skin and looks really natural, and I like that my freckles still show through. I also have sensitive and acne-prone skin and this has never been an issue, and I've been using it almost every day for years. I've read that people have an issue with the smell, but I actually really like the smell of this. I Highly recommend this if you're looking for a good loose powder.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This is the only loose powder I have ever liked. I am very fair, with yellow undertones (NC15), and "Translucent Fair" is a great color match. I don't wear liquid foundation, but I hate having shiny skin, so I always wear a powder. This mattifies my very oily skin, but has a bit of radiance to it, that enhances my complexion, rather than dulls it. Although I don't want shiny skin, I also don't want dull, flaky skin, so to find a loose powder that meets my needs makes me very happy. I use either a fluffy brush, or the included puff to apply, because it's so soft and fluffy, it applies the powder nicely. This does have the classic Noxzema scent, often associated with Covergirl cosmetics, but it isn't as strong as in their pressed powder. I don't mind it, but would prefer it to be fragrance free. The lid stays on well in my makeup bag, and I take it everywhere with me! One container lasts forever, so the price is great!

on 11/18/2014 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I wear the CG loose powder in Translucent Fair #105. My skin tone is medium with yellow undertones, and is oily but not acne prone. I find that this shade matches so well in the winter time. I've used it in the summertime, but put some bronzer over it to match my tanner skin. I have the Medium shade in 115, so might try that next summer and see if it matches better at that time.

Because I have oily skin, I find that loose powders work the best for me. Also, because of having oily skin, powders oxidize on my skin, so I have to be careful not to go too dark with any powder. The Fair #105 is perfect for this. I can see why very fair skinned people would have a hard time with the Fair, since it works perfectly on my medium skin (I tan really well and never get pasty).

I wouldn't consider any of these powders truly "Translucent." They definitely have some color in them. When I think of Translucent I think of an almost white finishing powder. What surprised me about the powders (I can only speak for the Light and Medium) is that they are yellow toned, at least enough for me. Most CG foundations are so pink I can't even go there. I used to spend more $$$ on higher end powders thinking that all drugstore loose powders are too pink. I was really impressed how natural these powders appear on my complexion.

I use this over my foundation, set with rose water spray, and my makeup is intact, not blotchy and looking good after a 10 hour day. The smell is noticeable, but it usually doesn't bother me and I find that it goes away pretty quickly. I would occasionally replace the powder puff for sanitary purposes, or use a fluffy brush to apply. I can't believe I didn't discover this product sooner! It's been around forever and I shied away assuming that the colors would be too pink for me. This is my HG powder.

on 3/16/2014 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Terrible stuff. This is the only powder I've ever bought that went into a garbage can the same day I bought it.

The pros: it's cheap. For me, that was it.

The cons: smells awful (think old dusty violets, talcum powder, sour cream, expired dollar store perfume - bleghh). The lid literally fell off several times in the 5 minutes it takes for me to apply powder and place it with the rest of my make-up which is 2 metres or less away from my mirror. That thing flat out refuses to stay on. All the shades I tried looked peachy, orange, pink or just ashy - even the translucent. Oh, and SPARKLEY. And I don't mean that soft, subtle pretty luminousity - I mean like glitter slapped on the face. Since it is so dusty and flies all over the place, I had glitter on my hands, my mirror. . .everywhere it should not be. It didn't mattify, nor even set my make-up. It's grainey and looks like you are wearing hella powder, in real life and especially in pictures. No thanks.

Avoid this at all costs. I'm really not sure who this would look good on - but there are many better DS powders to try with better textures and no scent - so I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Try CoverGirl's Advanced Radiance powder instead.

on 8/5/2013 9:56:00 AM

I will not repurchase this. I ran out of loose powder (ie, spilled on the floor) the day of having to do a wedding party and quickly ran out to buy the next loose powder I could find. This was what I ended up getting.

I found that it did NOT hold up to expectations. These were: a setting powder for concealor (it ended up gathering into creases and folds around eyes), it looked chalky for the photos (I bought light colour since all the ladies were light-medium Caucasians) and any bridesmaid that had oily skin was oily 3 hours later (and I even used a Benefits Porefection primer).

Price was great, packaging sucked (lid falls off to easily and product sifts to the top too easily too) and this got an overall 2 because it MAY be suitable for those with perfectly 'normal' skin types. But how many of us out there are in that category?

I found out about this product from watching a youtube video. I also use high end loose powders such as shu uemura which I absolutely love but is really expensive over $40 for a tub. So I thought, why not give this a try?

Use: I would say this stuff works just OK, to catch fall out and to brighten up underneath your eyes. I did not use this all over my face, I used a pressed powder for the rest of my face. Seemed easy enough to blend out.

Cons: The packaging. The worse quality about this product is it's packaging, it is cheap and easy to lose product every time you open and close it. The smell is like baby powder (this may be a pro to you if you like that)

I love this to set my foundation! It covers pores and blemishes beautifully.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was looking for a basic setting powder for a cheap price and settled on this. I am using translucent medium which works well with my light/medium beige with yellow tone skin color. Im a little annoyed with the strong flowery perfumey old ladyish scent this powder has but it isnt unbearable. It seems to dissipate after awhile. I dust this over my tinted moisturizer or dusted over some lightly applied concealor. Its a nice natural daytime look that just evens out my skin tone. Its a good basic powder. Cheap & works well. Wish they would tone down the scent though. I will probably get this again unless I come across something better for the price which I doubt. (I tossed the rough junky poof it comes with and I use my big soft fluffy the body shop powder/body brush - much better!)

on 7/12/2010 7:05:00 PM

Tossed after 1 use. Can't get past the smell ~ I thought they had gotten rid of the noxema smell a while ago? Love that the lid stays on tight which, with the dirt cheap price ($4.12 at Ulta), are the only redeeming qualities of this powder. Can't vouch for the color, wear, or oil controlling properties since I couldn't get past the smell.