no images

package quality

price range

Reviews

4 years ago

I have only tried the new formulation so I can't comment on vintage versus reformulated. However I will say that there's a reason fragrances get reformulated - because tastes were different in the 50's, 70's, 90's and you have to modernize or else. That being said, I do detest most department store fragrances. I have a wide range of perfumes for my moods, some of which I have reviewed here on MUA. Maja is unlike anything else in my collection. There is a distinct spicy note that is absolutely divine, lasting power is amazing considering it's an EDT. I would never have picked out the notes, it just works for me! Try the body lotion for something different. It is very moisturizing and has such a fresh, clean scent. I haven't actually finished my bottle yet, but this is a scent that will always be in my rotation. **I just purchased a bottle of vintage Maja to see what all the hype was about. Turns out I was right when I said perfumes must modernize - vintage Maja is an 80s powder bomb. Not what I want to smell like today, and yet oddly addictive... I prefer the reformulation but may have to keep this squirreled away for nostalgia.

About reviewer (136 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Fine

EyesBlue

2.0

6 years ago

The new EdT is a common place jumble of rose and fruit with only a pale undertone of the cool resins and green powdery nots that make the Maja shower gel so delightful. Very disappointing.

About reviewer (114 reviews)

Age

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

1.0

6 years ago

Inexpensive but oddly enough this is hard to find in Australia. The soap is sold almost everywhere but I only know of two chemists that sell the edt. On me this is short lived and rather bland, First blast smells like a fairly fresh eau de cologne with notes of citrus and lavender. Within ten minutes it has dried to a lightly spiced carnation, and within an hour it has completely disappeared. Now my skin can certainly eat some perfumes, but this is ridiculous. Definitely no sale.

About reviewer (816 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

8 years ago

I smelt the original in Tenerife when I was a teenager and I remember recoiling from the heavy pungent notes, especially strong in the heat. So after thinking I did not like it I was dubious about the reformulation. But magically I was wrong, totally wrong. Think fresh citrus cologne added to spices with a vanilla drydown - simply beautiful and cheap. This is far and away the best drugstore fragrance I have smelled since Coty Muguet - lovely.

About reviewer (325 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

9 years ago

Sadly, even I (probably an older woman on MUA) don't remember the original Maja, which was one of the grand perfumes back in the day. This review is for the new version, which I indeed found dirt cheap after Christmas. I already knew I liked the fragrance, because I often use Maja soap, which smells divine. I was a little afraid to try the edt, thinking it might be a little too much like its dramatic black-and-red packaging. Well, no fear--this is a pretty, well-behaved fragrance that shouldn't offend anyone! To me, this is just a lovely blend of flowers and spices, with undertones of olive oil and maybe a tiny bit of resin. I guess I would call it a Mediterranean floral, as it evokes a dusky afternoon in the south of France. The spray is lightly scented enough that I have to use 3 spritzes instead of my usual 1 or 2, but the olive oil makes the fragrance linger nicely for a few hours. You can find Maja at the drugstore, but it's not your average drugstore scent.

About reviewer (152 reviews)

SkinOther

11 years ago

I just received a vintage bottle in from an E-Bay purchase. As soon as I took the top off I was reminded of an old Avon fragrance from the 60's, Rapture. It was the one in the cute teal green lamp bottle. My mother still has a full bottle of it. Maja was created by Jean Carles who also also created Tabu, Ma Griffe, Miss Dior, and Shiaparelli's Shocking. All of which I love. I bought Maja on a whim because I liked the product description. I didn't realize Carles had created this one as well until I looked it up. The nose knows!

About reviewer (14 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair, Not Sure

HairRed, Other, Other

12 years ago

I came about this fragrance totally by accident. <p>I had started an online business selling cosmetics and perfume, and a friend gave me a box full of Spanish products that her mother had lying around that she wanted to get rid of. Inside this box were unusual soaps, fragrances and a gift set of (what looked to me) like a dated, 80's fragrance along with the matching soap and powder. The box was extremely dusty and damaged, and I was at a loss as what to do with it. Because of the damage I couldn't sell it, so I stored it away. <p>Moving home several months later, I found this gift set at the bottom of a drawer. I opened the fragrance, thinking that I would try to use it up, just so it didn't get wasted by throwing the whole set away. Immediately I loved it! It was spicy, woody with a hint of rose and carnation. Initially it was rather masculine, but within a few minutes it has transformed on my skin to a sensual evocative blend that is only a little powdery. I can detect a slight citrus note, but not sharp cut-lemon citrus, but more like a drop of lemon oil in an olive oil base. In fact, after this has been on for a couple of hours, I can certainly smell olive oil!<p>This really does have staying power too. I spray this on my neck and wrist on a night, and when I wake up, this fragrance is still at the same intensity. <p>I believe that this is the original scent, and not the reformulation. I can't see this appealing to a lot of people, as it is one of those classic powerful fragrances that suits a certain type of woman. <p>It was a lucky find and I'm sure I will purchase more in the future.

About reviewer (1232 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

EyesBlue

13 years ago

I was originally going to pan this re-orchestration of a masterpiece. But I cannot. The new Maja has none of the raw spiciness of the original, and is decidedly less pungent and aggresive. What is left is a dry, herbally, mildly citrus fragrance that segues into a powdery vanilla accord at the dry down. I can still catch hints of lavender, angelica, geranium and tonka. What this has become is the perfect office fragrance, especially for summer. It has an almost masculine start, but softens considerably. It has remarkable staying power for an EDT, and the sillage is rather good. It smells more like the wonderful Maja soap than the original EDP. My complaint is about expectations; this is not the Maja I expected, steamy, black-laced, and castenet clacking. If I rename and reinvent my expectations, this proves to be a winner.

About reviewer (307 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Other, Other

1.0

14 years ago

I am bitterly disappointed. If I were reviewing classic Maja, my rating would be 5 lipsticks. A beautiful earthy-sweet Oriental, with no pumpkin pie spice scent, unlike most Orientals (don't get me wrong, I like those spices, but appreciated an alternative Oriental like Maja). But this reformulation is simply atrocious, and to my nose, bears absolutely no resembalance to the Maja I know. It IS much more modern...in the worst possible sense. I, although only 33, prefer the classic scents. Modern fragrances tend to be either the synthetic, sexless "fresh" scent, the ersatz "fruit" scent, or the bug-spray scent. This is a melange of all 3 types, with the bug-spray note being the dominant one. I was aware that I was purchasing a reformulation, but naively assumed that it would retain the basic elements of the original, which it certainly does not. Wretched, wretched poisonous stench. I had previously bought the re-formulated scented lotion, which isn't nearly as offensive as the EDT. It just smells like Vaseline Intensive Care. The scented lotion I purchased at Wal-mart and retained the reciept, thank God. But getting my money back for the EDT won't be as simple, it was on-line. Jeers to Myurgia... would have been better to just discontinue Maja if it wasn't selling well and market the new foul potion under a completely different name so as not to sully the name of Maja...If anyone reading this has classic Maja that they don't want, please contact me...we'll work something out.

About reviewer (23 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinAcne-prone

3.0

14 years ago

I must say I prefer the old Maja, the uncompromising Maja that smelled like the flamenco -- hot spicy, racy, and a bit tawdry. This stuff exudes sensuality. Light and floral it is not. It is animal and deep. Ole!

About reviewer (306 reviews)

SkinDry