Nature's Gate Self Tanning Lotion Medium to Dark results

No Image

3.6

Not tested on animals

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

One of my favorite self tanners! I forgot about it because I was trying other brands. Although it does not get your very dark in one application- it does provide decent color using it once and then builds gradually (anyone who wants to be dark over night, this is not for you BUT still works pretty good). The scent is decent even though I never really care too much about the scents because the tan is more important to me. It also fades nicely and not blotchy. It dries pretty fast. For me it only takes maybe 2 applications to get a deep color (but I always make sure to use a drying soap in the shower such as Irish spring. Using moisturizing soap will prevent a self tanner from working properly. Same with applying lotions or oils before self tanning). I always pick this up often and one bottle lasts over a few months.

Ugh, this is such a tough review to write.

When I bought this, I loved it. First of all, and this still holds true, the color is VERY natural looking for a gradual tanner (which is basically what this is). Not orangy, does not streak at all, and is very buildable without looking fake. In fact, when I use it multiple days in a row, I can achieve looking like a real tan human being!. It also lasts a fair amount of time, and fades evenly.

I found myself applying this about every three days to maintain color; it kept me looking "glowy" and bronze in the summer, which most certainly was not from the sun (I am decently pale, FYI, and do not tan well). It is easy to apply (although I always use latex gloves anyway), and blends just like normal moisturizer (again, very difficult to streak). Also, when I bought it, there was no developer self-tanning smell to speak of. It literally smelled like fragrance free body lotion - and I am extremely sensitive to smells, so this is most certainly one of my most important criteria when buying a self tanner. It dries quickly with ZERO stickiness, does not transfer to sheets, clothes, boyfriends, or anything of the like. As I said, it was just like using an every day body lotion, with the added benefit of making me look tan!

I was seriously enthralled, and I thought I had found my HG sunless tanner. It lasts forever because it spreads easily, too... which most surely ended up being its downfall. I bought this probably in April orMay... and by July-August (perhaps with slightly more than half left in the bottle), I was beginning to notice that tell-tale developer smell. I plowed through the stench, hoping I was just imagining it. By beginning of October, it had become unbearable - my husband started telling me the bathroom stunk after I would apply it -- and his senses are most certainly not sensitive. Mid-November, it's sitting untouched in my closet. It smells just like old school Jergin's (gross), and I can't bring myself to use it even to get rid of it. I suppose it must be developing in the bottle? I'm not sure, as the lotion is still white and not exposed to any other air... but I'm done with it. Alas, another stinky self tanner has done me in.

I'd like to think I'd repurchase. The color is wonderful, and it was so easy to use before it started smelling.. but then it started smelling.. and that's the whole problem. So I'm done with it, and on the search for something else... Perhaps if you use it quickly, it won't be so terrible!

on 4/9/2011 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Pros: Beautiful color, streak free, quick drying, long lasting.
Cons: SMELL!! Small quantity for $$.

For sunless tanner this is really really good. You come out beautifully brown. I couldn't tell where my actual tan ended and my fake tan began. It goes on easily and dries quickly. This has provided the most streak free tan I have had from a tanner and as a bonus it has much less of the synthetic chemical stuff in it. I also have VERY sensitive skin and this didn't irritate me at all which tanners do sometimes. The downside and the reason I gave it 4 lippies - the smell. Oh my good lord! I smelled even 3-4 days after application and the tan had already faded and it has one of the most sour smells to it I have found in a tanner. Kind of like I don't know - dirt and really old sweat. :( I am going to buy another bottle in hopes that maybe mine was just bad or old or something. Plus the package is really small compared to other brands.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Nature's Gate Sunless Tanner, Self Tanning Lotion this is the name on the product..I think the one above is gone...
Anyways....I always have HATED STL as the smell and application would drive me nuts! BUT this is the HG of self tanners...I have a golden, bronze tan with no streaks after 2 applications. I even used this on my face and I have very sensitve skin...NO PROBLEMS! I found this at Whole Foods because of it being organic, and no animal testing.
HG OF TANNING LOTIONS!

I had no idea NG even made a sunles tanner till searching smartbomb.com. Apparently most of the natural brands make sunless tanners, you just can't fidn them anywhere. Makes a lot fo sense!
I was really hopign that this or the Kiss my face one I purchased from them woudl do a good job and yet again I was severly let down. Seems like maybe one of of every 50 sunless tanners does the job and I have yet to find that one. I have been trhough about 30+ sunless tanners over the past decade and not found one worht repurchasing! This one is supposed to provide med-dark results and it provides zero! As w/ all self tanners I apply up to 3 coats ( waiting for each coat to dry in between) and then go to bed. I wake up and nothing! It's liek I just put regular lotion on or something as no color developed anywhere on my whole body! I tried again lastnight and wake up today and not a hint of color! It's like they forgot that one key ingredient or something!
So clearly I shalt not re-purchase this crap. Smell is like sun tan lotion and disipates after drying. Drying time is fast, but who cares about the positives when the most important factor is results? Which it does not provide!

Is there seriously NO sunless tanner out there that doesn't cost over $10 for a tiny 4oz container, but actually works????? I have never found such a creature if so.