Laura Tonatto - Amir

No Image

3.9

on 8/24/2011 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Incense that announces itself. Big incense, rich, deep, round, imperial. Yet relaxed, not formal. Unisex but can pull a bit sweet (and too big for extreme heat). Balanced, friendly, snuggly incense without the religion.

Himself’s first reaction: “Hm, smells exotic. I like it.”

Himself’s second reaction: “Smells like we should be outdoors at a concert somewhere.”

I like Black Cashmere a lot, but Amir makes that one look like weak tea. Nowhere near as dry as Dzonghka. Not trying to be clever like the Comme des Garcons series.

Big, to potentially huge, sillage; pretty tenacious.

on 1/13/2011 12:08:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Almost incense resin, like Gaultier 2. Rich, dark and somehow like cola/oriental without being 80s. Feels like a Christmas scent without actually smelling like one. Reminds me of beeswax, incense, wood, warm skin and firelight. Loving it!

A deeply hypnogogic scent, all dark, narcotic myrrh and nocturnal resins. A midnight philtre, thickened with age and swimming murkily at the bottom of an ancient crystal flacon, tucked away in some moth-eaten velvet robes. This is the scent I imagine Mary Shelley wearing during that infamous summer in 1816 at the Villa Diodati with Byron and Polidori.

on 4/28/2010 10:27:00 AM

This is one I keep telling myself I will buy, and I will. Amazing myrrh and musk blend, although I somewhat prefer MKK and this has some notes (to my nose) in common.

The deep incense notes are unique here though, and this is just amazingly rich. This smells like the kinds of oils you might buy at a bazaar, except with only the best ingredients and no cheap oil smell.

This opens very harsh and every time I apply it I'm sure I'll regret it, but after only a few minutes this develops into one of the best rich spice, incense, and musk scents I know of.

this is a very deep, savory and ever-so-slightly smoky amber with a hint of caramel sweetness that is like no other i have smelled. the color of the juice is a deep, inky amber -- more like a potion than a perfume. really lovely stuff.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This fragrance features the spicy notes of myrrh and incense combined with the smooth tones of amber. All notes: myrrh, petitgrain, lime wood, orange essence, incense, amber, musk, woods, spices

The very first burst of Amir is scaringly similar to my dad's Paco Rabanne after shave, but that only lasts for a minute or so, giving space to a dry, oriental smokiness with lots of incense and even more myrrh. The myrrh is predominating with the incense swirling about, giving a mysterious feeling to the blend. What surprises me the most is the full, soft amber note which is round and a little sweet (but no overwhelming, choking sweetness, not at all). Later a strong spiciness evolves in a gorgeous way, with dry woods in the background - and the dry-down is heaven; warm, cozy, autumn-y notes comes forth which makes Amir a comfort scent. It just grows on me and at the end of the day I find myself completely spellbound and hypnotized by this rich, ambery blend.

This creation feels very Egyptian; I think of a wee oil perfume in a beautiful ceramic jar I had as a child, which was very much like this. Wearing Amir feels like bering carried in a Cleopatra chair through a sacred temple, it's solemn but in the same time down-to-earth - a fragrance for a queen, a vamp, a seductress. The blend feels very simple but it also has something that makes me galvanized; Amir is dark and enticing, tempting and veiled. In some aspects, it's similar to Coco Chanel, although drier.

I feel the urge to try more of the makings of "the Italian Nose"!

on 1/20/2007 10:46:00 PM

When I first tried Amir, I was astonished at how surprisingly intoxicating I found it -- a resin-laden incense scent, touched with a bit of cinnamonny vanilla. It was a little too heavy for my tastes, but certainly beautiful. But something kept on nagging me every time I put it on -- it smelled exactly like something else I had and loved once -- what was it? Finally, it dawned on me: Amir was almost identical to Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's fragrance, Snake Oil. (Which I stopped being able to wear because I found too strong and heavy...I'm certain Amir would suffer the same fate if I ventured to buy a bottle.) Snake Oil is comparatively much cheaper, although I would probably still opt for the Tonatto just because I much prefer sprays to perfume oils (not to mention I don't want to wait 6 weeks for a bottle!).

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Did you ever find fragrance and wonder how you lived without it for all those years prior to finding it? Well Amir is just that fragrance. Now that I have found it, I must add it to my collection. That fact alone surprised me, because I really love this fragrance. Which is very uncharateristic of my fragrance preferences. It's heady, incense rich and spicy. Comforting and warm for sure. The night I sampled Amir --- it quickly, and plesantly banished the chill from my bones with it's soapy clean amber-frankinsence spicy goodness. I was very surprised that it didn't go powdery or overly metallic on my skin. Yes it has a little medicinal smell -- but I like that sharpness in my amber spicy scents. To others they might smell hideous but to me they smell comforting and clean. I really do like this Laura Tonatto. It is FBW.

This is very soothing, comforting, warm and relaxing. I enjoyed the dry-down very much. The staying power is fabulous! I was not a fan of the somewhat soapy middle notes (the opening did not bother me). I love that this is smoky, spicy, and dark. I love the amber in it, and the frankincense and myrrh. This smells like an old castle with its darkness, the incense burning, the smoke, and the hand torches. It evokes memories of old and dark --but safe-- places (Not as much as RH Frankincense though). It all conjures images of a Maiden in a tower waiting for a prince to fall in love with her smell, follow her sillage to the top of the tower, and plan their escape from the castle to a land far far away where they will live happily ever after (Until she makes the mistake of hiring that maid who wears Musc Ravageur).

on 9/7/2006 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I like this fragrance (am testing a sample), but it smells remarkably like CK Obsession to me -- both the real CK Obsession, and a CK Obsession knock-off fragrance oil that my husband picked up in the Middle East 15 years ago while fighting in the first Gulf War. Will I keep this, and use up this huge sample? Yes. Will I buy the full-sized bottle. Nope.

Popular Fragrances