Sebastian Potion 9

Sebastian Potion 9
Potion 9SEBASTIAN POTION 9Sebastian's Potion 9 in pump package

4.1

Water, Glycerin, Guarhydroxypropyltrimonumchloride, Jojoba Seed Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth-10, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Fragrance, Panthenol, Imdazoudinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Amodimethicone, Polysorbate 60, Propylparaben, Olive Fruit Oil, Orbigyna Olefera Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Disodium EDTA, Stearalkonum Chloride, Sesame Seed Oil, Ethyl Hexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Tetrasodium EDTA, Rice Bran Oil, Citric Acid, Orange 4, Camellia Sinesis Extract, Willow Bark Extract, Ext. Violet 2, Red 40 (2012 formula)

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

You won't believe this but I just found my potion 9 from 20 years ago! And I decided to use it because back in the day it was my favorite! (Why dude I stop using it?!) so I applied it to my damp hair after shower and I swear, my hair had never felt so soft! SO SOFT!! so I went online and ordered a few more of this so I will have it forever :) it is truly the most softening conditioning beautifying hair product. (I had also used the Sebastian trillium shampoo and conditioner which I love). I think Sebastian is just the best. And I have thick wavy hair. This potion 9 left it smooth. Smooth beautiful waves like the 40s movie stars. I am mad that i stopped using this for years while I tried out bumble and bumble and so many other Products. I do love Moroccan oil. But I now use potion 9 right after shower and then Moroccan oil a bit later or when dry. It makes me dry hair so soft and full of moisture. Healthy.

on 7/18/2017 3:07:00 PM

Was not impressed with the product, did absolutely nothing for my hair. Used it for 3 weeks but did not see any difference which is a bit disappointing as it is another product going to the bin. I am on the hunt for a styling product that will make my hair more manageably/frizz free and easier to brush. I tried about 5 products but all of the ended up in the bin. The only products seems to be making a difference is silicon based which is not ideal for regular use.

I have used this for many years. Just a little pump on my damp hair and combed through before styling. I can't imagine using anything else to combat frizz, and help to set my styling.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I first used this gosh maybe some 15-20 years ago and forgot all about this (and how I loved this) until a friend was talking about this. I decided with the never-ending humidity that is prevalent where I live, this could/would help and I decided to re-visit this 'old friend'.

Now, this can be a little tricky to use and I could see how some may think this is heavy or greasy. The trick to this is applying the tiniest dab (a very small half of a pea-size amount) in the palm of your hand, and rub both of your palms together, and even getting this on your fingers, massage it in your palms and fingertips really well, like a little kid playing with mud. And then slowly and steadily apply this, starting from mid-shaft for most people, and 'smoothing' it down your hair, lightly, and evenly as possible. I then use a wide tooth comb if my hair is wet or a paddle brush if my hair is dry, to then distribute this evenly through my hair.

I do not see this so much as a 'conditioner' nor a moisturizer as some seem to mistake this as, but rather more as a styling product. This does help keep my little fuzzies at bay, even throughout the day, and I just never found a product to do so. Some may work for about an hour at the most, but this one lasts the longest for me throughout the day. But the key is to remember that the tiniest dab will do ya, even for long hair. This does have a rather odd scent but for me the scent does not linger once this is applied to the hair. The price of this is a bit steep, but this will last for a very, very long time, if used correctly. Great product that I never really hear talked about.

on 7/9/2016 10:33:00 AM

I have used this product (in its many different formulations) for 20 years on my hair that has changed from thick course frizzy curly-wavy to thinner finer still-tiny-bit-frizzy wavy hair that can still form curls when using this product the right way (which also allows me to style it straight). This product has performed amazingly over all that time (I will say that if you can find an older formulation, buy it up) and all those hair textures. The only change wrt the product is that I use less than I first did (and sometimes thin with a little water depending on what I'm trying to achieve).

What's amazing to me is that I can use it on wet or dry hair and can get a wide variety of styles depending on the amount I use and the method of styling. For curls, I massage well (one dollop in my current finer hair or two generous dollops in my old super thick hair) into wet hair, and scrunch and either air dry or blow dry. For waves or piece-y look, I let/get my hair partially dry and then massage in a small amount and continue to tousle hair while I'm drying it (air or blow). To tame/control hair day(s) after shampooing, I'll mix it in my hands with some water and finger it through dry hair from mid-shaft down and work it in. I get control without crunchiness.

The only time I get crunchiness is if I apply it and leave it untouched (on wet or dry hair). In my thicker hair days, that helped keep control of the ringlets that would naturally form midway down. Too much of the product and your hair is going to look greasy, though it will never feel that way. Nor will it _ever_ feel like you have silicone in your hair (if there is any in the product, it's imperceptible). It will only weigh down hair if you don't use the right amount, and I know firsthand that that will vary by hair type and thickness. In areas where my hair has become fine over the years, I need to use a light touch otherwise and be wise about where I apply it on the shaft. Folks with a lot of fine hair might want to consider mixing a small amount with water in their hands first before applying.

I don't think this product was ever designed for use in all the ways I use it as my hairdressers over the years have all expressed incredulity when I tell them what I do, but they see that it works. And works well!

on 1/17/2016 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If you are in search of a light, barely there feeling styling product this is for you. Unfortunately, my hair is not very cooperative, I have fine curly, cotton candy, wispy kind of hair. Potion 9 gives me (on freshly washed hair, applied to damp hair) soft loose curly waves. Very easy and loose, it looked very nice. While they are reasonably frizz free and nice looking they are still a bit fly away. I need a fine balance of not too heavy, but a bit of heft because my cotton candy hair is so wispy and fly away. Second day hair is not pretty when I used this. My curls are pulled out. I have a whole Captain Cave Man look going on. I used this in place of my Deva Styling Cream and all other actions and products were the same. I prefer the Deva because it gives my hair the extra heft I need without weighing it down, but not letting it get too fly away & wispy. The Deva Styling Cream also chunks my curls together better.

So given how this performed for me, I think this would be amazing for those with fine hair, those that want loose hold and definition, and those that want to not feel like they have something in their hair. Not a bad product at all, but not the best one for me.

on 12/16/2015 10:32:00 AM

I am 28 years old and first discovered potion 9 when i was like about 14 years old in my sisters drawer in our shared bathroom. I have literally never stopped using it since. All of my friends have become cult addicts too. It's just the best styler ever. My hair is naturally wavy and I "scrunch" it into my hair to create pretty, loose, shiny waves when it dries, and i smooth it into my wet hair before blow drying and straightening, as well as adding some more to smooth over after i'm finished. I ALSO use this product when I do a top knot, I smooth it into my hair, and toss it up, whether i want a loose top knot or a tight formal one, this is my go to. It never EVER leaves my hair greasy, but controls flyaways, adds shine, and nourishes my hair. I am into trying other products and often do but I have never found a better hair product out there!

on 10/15/2015 11:54:00 AM

I got this stuff randomly for free and I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do! My hair is fine, damaged/processed and straight. This gives me just enough control without making me feel like I have anything in my hair. I notice a huge difference in the fullness, softness and smoothness of my hair when I use it before blowdrying. It's certainly not a miracle treatment (is there such a thing?) but it allows me to fake having healthy hair. I'm a hair stylist, so I've used a lot of different products, but this is definitely THE ONE for me.

on 7/31/2015 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I love Potion 9 and use a quarter size in my chin length bob. My hair is curly, likes to be frizzy and I use my Chi flat iron to get smooth shiny hair. This works as a leave in conditioner and a styling balm and it is intensely moisturizing. It works for smoothing my hair and taming all the frizzyness. This is the perfect prep product for a smooth and polished blow out. I love the light fragrance and people are drawn to it thinking it is a light fragrance, but I don't wear fragrance.
I get Brazilian Blowouts and have to use the accompanying products. They don't smell good and I miss my Potion 9! But my hair is smooth and straight so I deal with it.
My hairdresser uses Potion 9 and I've been using it for as long as I can remember. It is a holy grail product that I will always use! If it works on my "difficult" hair it will work for everyone!

on 7/31/2015 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I never tried the old formula so I can't compare but I love this stuff. I have mostly straight hair (with random wavy patches popping up as I get older). My hair isn't coarse but it is kind of thick. Not only does this add softness and shine, it's also great for the weekends when I'm going to let my hair air dry. There is a distinct different in how polished it looks when I use this vs when I don't. It doesn't seem to weigh my hair down at all nor make it greasy. (I don't use a huge glob though.) I also find that it's great for dealing with tangles both in my longer hair and my child's. My child has fine, bone-straight hair and this is one of my favorite things to use on her to ensure that her hair is easy to comb and tangle free. This stuff smells great too!

Popular Styling Products