MAC Matte - Honeylove

MAC Matte - Honeylove

4.1

on 8/6/2016 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

For reference, I am a NC10/NC15 fair Korean.

I only got into nude lipsticks this year because I was getting tired of my usual oranges, corals, and pinks which are the lip shades that suit me best, but I wanted something more muted and natural for this summer.

Nudes are hard when you're fair with naturally pink lips as most nudes in the market are either too dark, very brown, or pull too mauve and rosy; absolutely beautiful on most ladies, but doesn't compliment my Asian skintone. I realized I needed to find a nude with beige, peach, orange warm undertones to brighten up my complexion, not bring it down.

So far, my favorite finds are Revlon Smoked Peach and MAC Honeylove.
I have tried MAC Kinda Sexy which seems to be a favorite amongst Asian ladies, but it was very mauve and a tad too dark for me. And I definitely know Velvet Teddy and other shades in that range will be way too dark.
Honeylove is on the lighter end and true to its name, is a light honey color; tan & subtle orange. The kind of shade that's not obvious, but at least noticeable to my oblivious boyfriend who calls it the "sexy brown color." Tap on a peach shade in the middle of the lips, such as Revlon's Smoked Peach, and you get a light, soft shade; great for fair, porcelain ladies.

It's not the kind of color that makes heads turn or will have people asking you "Wow, what lipstick are you wearing?" but I don't think thats the point of nude lipsticks anyway.

on 5/13/2016 8:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I'm NC40 and this lipstick is ridiculously too close to my actual skin color that it seems like I don't have lips. Too bare of a nude, as if I'd been using concealer instead of a lipstick. Sadly wouldn't repurchase as I was sticking onto velvet teddy and bought this just for the sake of trying.

To Read all 195 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I absolutely love this lipstick from Mac! I definitely recommend it to anyone that is a "medium" skin tone, looking for the perfect nude lipstick to pair with a dark eye look, or even alone. If you're nervous about the "concealer" look when trying nude lipsticks, and don't want a dead-look, then this is the perfect lipstick color for you! It's gorgeous to wear with pretty much ANY kind of make up look that you'd want to do! It is in a matte finish, which can be a little drying, but that's just the nature of matte lipsticks. All you have to do is just pop on a little bit of chap stick before applying, and you're good to go! The lasting power is pretty fair, I wouldn't say that it is food or kiss proof, but it does hold up pretty well. The smell is also that classic mac lipstick sweet smell, which is always pleasant. Over all, I would recommend to almost anyone, and WILL be re-purchasing when I run out!

on 12/28/2015 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

This is a really, really nice light nudey-beige. I can't imagine many skin tones that would suit this colour on its own. I'm convinced that Honeylove is one of those colours that is meant to be used either with a slightly darker liner or used with another matte lipstick to make ombre/3D fuller lips.
I use it with taupe and it's my favourite lipstick combination.

This is an ultra drying matte lipstick so you gotta scrub and moisturize your lips 15-20 mins before application.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

perfect nude! just a bit to drying on the lips :(

on 12/22/2015 6:42:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I just don't like this lipstick!!! It is sooo pale it makes me look ill .. it comes up a very beigey washed out colour and is so matt that when it wears off a little it leaves a very unattractive ring round the inside of my lips. The colour did nothing for me I looked sickly.

on 10/23/2015 11:53:00 PM

Love this lippy! I can seriously wear it everyday. It looks good on my NC35 skin tone, paired with my Subculture lip liner LOVE!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Lovely w Beurre lipliner!! MAC has done it again....I had this in my collection but hasn't worn it a lot until lately....It is simply lovely. I'm an NC15ish & I love MAC & I love nudes so it would only seem natural that this would be a major hit. A definite hit not a miss! This is a little bit lighter than blankety or velvet Teddy also faves. I cannot say enough good things about this lipstick. It **IS** matte be forewarned if u don't like mattes but that is easily remedied by buying MAC Prep + Prime Lip to apply underneath it. This isn't a retro matte so it's not quite as bad as RM formula which I've heard are very drying & I've avoided RM formula coz I'm not a big matte fan. This is not as pale as MAC Myth nor Angel. It seriously gives me JLo lips. I'm very happy w this lipstick & if I lost it it'd have to rebuy it! I've got an ample amount of the tube left thankfully. MAC lipstick makes me so happy! They've raised the price to $17 making it $18.02 w tax free shipping on maccosmetics dot com. My next investments are florabundance & siss most likely! Winning!!!

Edit 04/25/16: I'm still using this but with Whirl lip pencil. It's simple lovely! I did end up getting Siss but I couldn't get florabundance (unfortunately). I now have over 100+ MAC lipsticks/Lipglasses in my collection! This 1 is a keeper!!!!!

on 10/2/2015 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this because I wanted a wearable nude lipstick similar to the kind Angelababy has. The shade is a pink toned nude color and it is an opaque matte finish. However I did not like how it looked on my lips. I looked sick and sallow! It also made the dry skin on my lips show, but that's because I didn't exfoliate my lips before applying. I'm going to return this lipstick only because the shade doesn't flatter me. If your skintone can work with this kind of shade, it's not a bad lipstick for its quality/price. I'm sticking with Velvet Teddy and I'll continue buying more shades from MAC

This is my go to nude and I love it! People have said it can make there lips look dead, this is the case for me I think it gives you gorgeous colour and doesn't dry them out either as its a matte lipstick it still feels creamy, I got this colour as velvet teddy was out of stock, however I since got it and I still love honey love more! Also the vanilla scent is gorgeous