Paul Mitchell the Detangler

Paul Mitchell the Detangler

3.5

Not tested on animals

Water, Isododecane, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Bisamino PEG/PPG 41/3 Aminoethyl PG Propyl Dimethicone, Algae Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Extract, Lawsonia Inermis Extract (Henna), Simmondsia Chinensis Extract (Jojoba), Rosmarinus Officinalis Extract (Rosemary), PEG 12 Dimethicone, Daucus Carota Sativa Leaf Extract (Carrot), Daucus Carota Sativa Seed Oil (Carrot), Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil (Grape), Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Fragrance (Parfum), Hexyl Cinnamal, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Orange 4 (CI 15510), Red 40 (CI 16035)

When my hair was long and thick (still thick, just much shorter now) this stuff was a godsend. Using this detangler was the easiest and best way for me to be able to get a comb through my hair. It loved the smell of it, too, as I remember. You tangly-haired ladies know what a struggle hair can be- here was my salvation. The Detangler made it not only possible but consistently painless (literally) to style my hair. I do have fond memories of this product and if my hair ever gets that long again, I'll most likely be searching out this exact same stuff I used to use so much of.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

OMG I love this product. I have hair that tangles like you would not believe. And the worst part is my hair is pretty healthy I am pretty low maintenance when it comes to my hair , its not dyed, its always trimmed, I don't heat style super frequent, I wash with gentle shampoo and conditioners, I do wash every day because of my oily scalp. Compounded with the horriable tangles I have fine, long dark straight hair. In my bathroom, you will find the Dry Bar Mr. Fabulous, It's a ten spray, Shea Moisture leave in detangler, and Micheal Something Orange detangler- all are great all are leave in's however and I had given up on finding a detangler that was a washout, I usually always have to use a leave in after I get out the shower and brush with my wet brush to avoid damage to my hair. This conditioner is soooo good. I apply just to my last 2/3rd's of my hair, and leave it in for about 5 mins while I finish up showering and rinse it out really really well. I towel dry and wait till it's a little dry (not soaking wet anymore) and brush out with my wet brush in sections and Viola no need for other detangler sprays. While I have always used quality moisturizing shampoos and conditioners not all of them are necessarily detangler's. Most wash out detanglers don't to do anything. I have a sample of this at a hotel and I went straight to Ulta to get it. Price is very good too for the amount of product you get. Currently I switch between SebaMed Shampoo or Sake Bomb from Dry Bar and the Matching conditioner. Even after air drying with this conditioner my hair is smooth, dentangled but not oily. Absolute love it. It says its meant for courser hairs, I can't speak to this I personally don't see it being moisturizing enough for those hair types but as a detangler combined with my wet brush its very effective.

on 4/23/2016 5:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

i bought this thinking it was actually a detangler/leave in. it does do a pretty good job of that. i havent tried it as a rinse out though. if i do have one complaint it would probably be the price

I bought a couple of the smaller sized bottles of the detangler super rich conditioner and I'm so glad I didn't get the bigger bottle. This conditioner sucks. Like others on here I have extremely crazy tangle problems... everytime I wash my hair I am combing forever and even throughout the day if I wear a collar shirt, wind, or sleep I end up with a birds nest...especially on the back of my neck.
I saw this and was like awesome problems solved. But No. This I swear I had to use to the BIGGEST amount, and it didn't do a damn thing anyways. This is awful it's has a pretty decent ingredient list but it's like putting nothing on your hair my hair was so tangled like if I didn't even condition. It didn't do anything if anything it made my hair tangle and look worse and doesn't even smell as good as Paul Mitchell products normally do!!!! I got ripped off buying the small bottle I couldn't get the last remaining product out no mater how hard I shook and tried. How did this even make it on the shelves? It's one of the worst conditioners I've bought. I can not believe how ineffective and unhydrating it was....

on 10/4/2015 5:21:00 AM

This is the first conditioner that has allowed me to brush my think hair right out of the shower. And the following morning I can brush threw bed head with no problem. This is well worth the money spent. Will definitely buy again

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I threw this out after trying it out for 2 weeks. The worst is trying to get this product through my hair after shampooing. With a name like 'the Detangler' one would think it would detangle hair as the product is going through the hair. I had to use a wide toothed comb and slowly comb the product through my hair. After rinsing out it weighed my hair down, which wouldn't be that bad of a thing...however when I used hot rollers or a curling iron in the hair, it refused to hold the curl after using this stuff. Change conditioners....problem goes away.

My hair is slightly wavy but super thick. I had better outcomes with Tresemme conditioners or even Aussie Super Moist (and I hated both)

Shame, the shampoo is really decent...this stuff is god awful.

Probably the worst conditioner i've ever used. I love the shampoo from this line, so I thought i'd give this a try. I've been trying different conditioners after getting my black hair bleached blonde. This product left my hair tangled, heavy, and I did not the enjoy the smell. Returned it after one use because the results were so bad.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Yes yes yes and yes this worked for my dry and thick hair!
This was perfectly rich!
This has a nice fragrance that is not too much like the AG conditioners that smell like cotton candy or gum.
When I rinsed my hair it was very conditioned and it was not weighed down.
I would say this is my HG conditioner after Matrix Wonder Oil conditioner.

I have fine hair with a slight wave in the under layer. I so bad wanted to love Paul mitchell products but this just doesn't work for my hair. It has no moisture, does not detangle, and leaves my hair heavy. The only good thing is the smell. Like a piņa colada!

on 11/5/2014 8:38:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

For my post chemo, ( used for autoimmune disease) unruly, curly, fine textured and frizz prone hair this works wonderfully well. It is neither too heavy or not conditioning enough; it rinses out nicely and my hair is much easier to comb through. There is no heavy scent to it- just a basic no frills conditioner without harsh sulfates to strip color or alter the texture.
Finding the right weight conditioner for my hair type has been difficult, but this seems to fit the bill. The amount of frizz is lessened and my curls feel softer and more defined.

Popular Conditioners