MAC Frost - Patina

MAC Frost - Patina

4.4

on 6/24/2016 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Patina is a term used to describe a sheen or texture on used items. Like wood or stone. And it is genius that MAC used that name for this shadow because it is so accurate. There is not a ton of color pay off with Patina. And I was really disappointed when I first bought it and shelved it. What it is good for is a wash. It does leave a 'patina' finish on your eyes and it is a color that is different on everyone. It even changes on me with the color of my skin. If I am tan or not tan, its different. I use it as a wash. As a blending or 'transition' color to soften the line of a more pigmented color. I have worn make up for 35+ years and it is the ONLY shadow I have repurchased. All the others I never use up, or I just get tired of them and toss. Patina is unique. It is versatile and it can take time to get used to. Play with it and see how you can incorporate it into your make up routine.

on 6/24/2016 12:46:00 AM

To be honest, I wanted to love Patina based on the rave reviews I read everywhere. When I swatched it on my hand, I was awed by the color, an almost antiqued gold. It was so beautiful. Then I put it on my lids and somehow it looks grey-ish on me? It could be my inexperience in putting eyeshadows that I still am not sure how to wear Patina to demonstrate how beautiful it is on my eyes but so far it works as a transition shade. I guess I just need to figure out how to use it properly. As with most of the MAC eyeshadows I own, it blends really well.

To Read all 454 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/23/2016 1:45:00 PM

I'm a little bit disappointed with this shadow. It got a lot of love online but I'm very underwhelmed. It's not very pigmented and I really need to pack it on to get any colour at all. Even then it's a boring light sludge colour. I'm not getting the golden warmth that's been peddled online. I've been pairing it with satin taupe (not there's an eyeshadow worth the hype!) and that's helping somewhat but it's definitely not on my re-purchase list

I do not know what is wrong with me: everybody loves this eyeshadow and it looks hideous on me! To start with, the color payoff is terrible, it is barely noticeable (I am NW 15) so I use a paintpot as a base to make it show up a little more. On my lids is a light golden shadow that makes me look sick if that makes sense. It is not brown and certainly is not taupe at all. I hate this color, my advice is: try it on your bare lids before you buy it!

on 7/27/2015 9:58:00 AM

Best from MAC. Such a flattering shade.

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Beautiful light brown color! I love the little sparkles/shimmers in it, normally shimmer looks terrible on my hooded eyes but this doesn't:) I pair it with Mulch and Black tied and it looks amazing. This is one of my first MAC shadows, I just bought them 2 days ago and they're already my favorite.

on 2/18/2015 2:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

So very lovely. Golden taupe brown that makes a fantastic lid color. It can also be used as a more subtle crease color. Looks so polished. Will absolutely repurchase if I run out.

on 10/23/2014 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Patina is perfect for an all over the lid/every day shade! I love using it when I do winged liner. It's soft and easy to blend. My only problem is on my skintone I have to pack it on, or use a white creme base, but when I do get it on it's a beautiful grey/brown frost. Love it!

on 9/29/2014 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I think this is my favorite MAC eyeshadow that I own. I didn't expect that at all when I ordered it, honestly. I put it in my cart after doing a ton of research on neutral MAC shades and many people seemed to like it. Based on swatches I wasn't that impressed but I went ahead and bought it.
I often wear this with MAC Quarry in the crease and MAC Malt as a transition color with MAC Blanc Type as the highlight. I use Stila's liquid eyeliner in "Midnight" for my winged eyeliner (Tarte "Exposed" for blush and NYX "mauve" lipliner). For some reason this combination looks freaking amazing.
I read that some people have pigmentation problems with Patina, but I haven't found that to be true at all. It's pigmented, unique yet neutral, and just an awesome neutral shade to have in your collection.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

It's a beautiful eyeshadow but it blends right into my skin color right now because I am tanned. (Nc35~40, double wear 3w1)
I can't use Era(my go-to shadow during winter) for the same reason. I will retry using this when I lose the tan.