MAC Frost - Patina

MAC Frost - Patina

4.4

on 2/21/2017 2:17:00 PM

I love Patina. It's a very unique color, a sheer-ish brown/grey/gold with shimmer that somehow pulls no weird tones from my olive skin and dark eyes like many golds. When I'm tan, it's almost the same color as my skin. What Patina does is add a cat-like, burnished sheen to your lids. It's one of the most sexy-but-not-obviously-so makeup items I own. My preferred way to wear it is with a matte nude shadow as a base (I use MAC Soba or UD Naked usually) and a heavy application of Patina on top, all the way up past my crease. You have to really pack it on, as it's sheer, but it's an easy packing on, no patchiness and it lasts all day, even without primer. Then tonssss of mascara. When you add smudgy black liner, it's so Riviera glam. This is the kind of product that makes me love the beauty and creativity of makeup :)

Also, Patina is only $6 when you buy the MAC pro pan.

I recently got this to add to my pro palette. I always put it off thinking it was too similar to satin taupe (looks almost the same in pan) and sable ( I thought it was slightly darker version of satin taupe/patina.) I would glance over thinking it, was just another taupe. I WAS WRONG.
It's so beautiful when swatched, it's a golden taupe that's neutral leaning slightly warm. Not quite gold but not quite brown either. To me it has greenish-goldish shimmers like patina on precious stones..It goes on sheer, I have to use my 239 to pack it on about four times to get full opacity. It's not as frosty as the other frost formulas which makes it a great casual eyeshadow depending on how intense you build it. You can also wet your brush with fix+ and it is so intense and you can use with mac's kohl eyeliner pencil in powersurge as a base.
My favorite combos are with mulch, twinks, and sumptuous olive in the crease or vice-versa. This can be used as a transition shade or and all over wash it's really versatile
It is one of favorites right now and I have alot of other eyeshadows and palettes with other taupes like naked 2's suspect etc and I prefer this one the most.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Patina is the best eyeshadow color I have ever seen.
I find extremely difficult to find a shade of gold that suits me, as most of them look extremely warm and very unflattering. I have warm toned brown eyes and a neutral skin undertone, but I can not pull off golds on my eyelids as i would like to.I find that nowadays everyone uses gold eyeshadow to achieve the glam look that is always on youtube, but I don't think it suits everyone. If I try to wear warm golds on my eyes, I look so pale and somehow sick. Patina is a cool toned gold/bronze with purple and green in it, which is the most flattering shade I have ever seen on my eyelids.
I use it all over the lid and then i take omega (also from mac) and blend it all over the crease. Then I use a cool toned metallic brown liner to define the eye, and it is seriously the best combination ever.
Patina makes any eye look seem so effortless but elegant at the same time. If you have trouble pulling off gold tones like me, try this, it is truly a game changer!

on 6/24/2016 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Patina is a term used to describe a sheen or texture on used items. Like wood or stone. And it is genius that MAC used that name for this shadow because it is so accurate. There is not a ton of color pay off with Patina. And I was really disappointed when I first bought it and shelved it. What it is good for is a wash. It does leave a 'patina' finish on your eyes and it is a color that is different on everyone. It even changes on me with the color of my skin. If I am tan or not tan, its different. I use it as a wash. As a blending or 'transition' color to soften the line of a more pigmented color. I have worn make up for 35+ years and it is the ONLY shadow I have repurchased. All the others I never use up, or I just get tired of them and toss. Patina is unique. It is versatile and it can take time to get used to. Play with it and see how you can incorporate it into your make up routine.

on 6/24/2016 12:46:00 AM

To be honest, I wanted to love Patina based on the rave reviews I read everywhere. When I swatched it on my hand, I was awed by the color, an almost antiqued gold. It was so beautiful. Then I put it on my lids and somehow it looks grey-ish on me? It could be my inexperience in putting eyeshadows that I still am not sure how to wear Patina to demonstrate how beautiful it is on my eyes but so far it works as a transition shade. I guess I just need to figure out how to use it properly. As with most of the MAC eyeshadows I own, it blends really well.

on 5/23/2016 1:45:00 PM

I'm a little bit disappointed with this shadow. It got a lot of love online but I'm very underwhelmed. It's not very pigmented and I really need to pack it on to get any colour at all. Even then it's a boring light sludge colour. I'm not getting the golden warmth that's been peddled online. I've been pairing it with satin taupe (not there's an eyeshadow worth the hype!) and that's helping somewhat but it's definitely not on my re-purchase list

I do not know what is wrong with me: everybody loves this eyeshadow and it looks hideous on me! To start with, the color payoff is terrible, it is barely noticeable (I am NW 15) so I use a paintpot as a base to make it show up a little more. On my lids is a light golden shadow that makes me look sick if that makes sense. It is not brown and certainly is not taupe at all. I hate this color, my advice is: try it on your bare lids before you buy it!

on 7/27/2015 9:58:00 AM

Best from MAC. Such a flattering shade.

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Beautiful light brown color! I love the little sparkles/shimmers in it, normally shimmer looks terrible on my hooded eyes but this doesn't:) I pair it with Mulch and Black tied and it looks amazing. This is one of my first MAC shadows, I just bought them 2 days ago and they're already my favorite.

on 2/18/2015 2:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

So very lovely. Golden taupe brown that makes a fantastic lid color. It can also be used as a more subtle crease color. Looks so polished. Will absolutely repurchase if I run out.