Alba Botanica Hawaiian Papaya Enzyme Facial Mask

Alba Botanica Hawaiian Papaya Enzyme Facial Mask
Hawaiian Papaya Enzyme Facial Mask

4.1

Not tested on animals

Ingredients- Aqueous extracts of laminaria digitata (kelp) and carica papaya (papaya), certified organic aloe barbadensis juice, vegetable glycerin, papain, bromelain, cucurbita pepo (pumpkin) seed, zingiber zerumbet (awaphui), vanilla planifolia and ananas sativus (pineapple) extracts, panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), polysorbate 20, xanthane gum, benzyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, chlorophyll and botanical fragrance. 5/21/09

on 10/11/2016 4:14:00 PM

I love this mask! It is gentle yet I do feel tingling after a couple minutes. It smells fantastic and makes my skin feel soft and refined. I will always use this mask, as long as they make it!

on 7/19/2016 12:59:00 AM

Guys, seriously. Use a spoon to get the stuff out, it's not rocket science.

Anyway, I really like this mask so far. Did not bother my skin and seemed to help fade post acne marks. I have very sensitive skin so I'll know in a day or so if a mask isn't working, and this one is great for me.

To Read all 141 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/6/2016 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

My facialist recommended this to me and I appreciate her not trying to sell me her fancy products at the Derm. She told me to go to whole foods and pick it up and I did. She advised me to use this once every two weeks as it takes a few weeks for our skin to regenerate new cells. She also told me I should leave it on in the shower while I'm shaving my legs or giving myself a hair mask. 15 min and voila. New skin. I've Ben using it while I steam my face and so far so good. Love the smell and how my skin from after.

This stuff is so good. It never disappoints. I picked it up years ago on a whim (I was drawn to Alba's look and price point) and was impressed by the instant results. I've tried several pricier enzyme peels and masks and I always come back to this one. I just picked up a new jar at Marshalls (and honestly, the tub lasts for-ev-er).

It does sting/tingle for about 30 seconds and then begins to cool on the face. I agree with other reviewers that you don't have to rush to wash this peel off. I've personally left it on while soaking in the tub for a half hour with no ill-effects. That being said, YMMV.

I don't take issue with the jar's hygienic properties, but it's possible that the jar exposes the product's active ingredients to oxygen and light, which may deteriorate the product. I'm only saying this because I'd love if Alba put it in a tube.

I've promised myself to use this peel more frequently (like 2x per week) because I see such good results! I'm pretty lazy about extras like masks and peels, but they really make a huge impact for me. FWIW, my face can be really sensitive to overdoing it but I've never had a reaction to this stuff.

on 1/2/2016 11:10:00 PM

I've used this mask for years; it's a staple. My skin hates physical exfoliants, even gentle ones, so I'm an acid peel fan. Pineapple, pumpkin, papaya, bring it on.

This is a thick, translucent green gel that's easy to spread, and a little goes a long way. It's slightly sticky and almost emollient when you first try to rinse it off; it can take a little scrubbing. I find it comes off best with a konjac sponge (literally the harshest exfoliation my skin can handle, hah). You only need to leave it on for 5 minutes to get great effects. I've left it on for longer before, and unlike other acid products, this one doesn't hurt my face if I leave it on too long. Obviously, I wouldn't recommend testing this theory because who knows, maybe you'll end up with a bright red flayed face; but I'm just saying, if you put it on and then there's a fire alarm in your apartment complex, don't worry too hard about it being on there a while.

I will always repurchase this.

on 10/22/2015 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I love this! Quick drying mask, I could feel and see the effects in 5 minutes - my skin did look clearer and feel softer. It does sting/burn a tiny bit, but it's letting me know that it's working.

on 7/30/2015 4:39:00 PM

I liked everything about this mask, except for the fact that it broke me it with small & painful pimples. I tried this on 3 different occasions & the same result-pimples! My skin is pretty clear now, so I am throwing this out! However, this does make your skin feel smooth after using it & it does give a slight warming sensation. Maybe this is not for my sensitive skin!

on 11/18/2014 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I'm reaaaaaaaaallllyy liking this mask. I went from "I don't know what breaks me out and therefore nothing works, why do I bother" to really finding what my skin works best with. I can't do too harsh or too gentle, but I'm def on the sensitive side. I looked through all the reviews for this and saw no one really broke out, but some complained it didn't do enough, and most found it to help revive dull skin. So with that in mind I thought I'd give this a shot and so far it's been excellent. One of my big problems are hard bumps as well as some pimples. It's not an overnight miracle, but I have been spot treating my forming or post popped pimples with this and with my other products/routine my skin tone has gradually improved. It's slowly smoothing out and healing and I feel it looks brighter over all. I can see why people think it doesn't do much. Maybe because it isn't tight or painful but for sensitive skin I think it's perfect. It doesn't burn me at all, btw, unless I do something like add tea tree on my skin beforehand. I don't need much at all, even when I do a full face of it. It does look like a small amount of product, but I can see it lasting a few months, and for that reason the price isn't too bad at all. It is a bit tricky to find and where I have found it, it was on the higher end at $14 so I wait for (store) coupons. I love the smell and don't mind the feel of it at all. I especially like to use it on popped pimples to kind of clean it out and have it heal better.

I have to also say that I've been using brown sugar as a scrub (along with better cleansers) and I really believe that's part of what's helping me transform my skin, but I think this is just as beneficial. So I vote a big yes to try this. It's not something you notice, but it's become HG for me, I wouldn't be without this!

I have noticed that I cut down on this a bit since I was still breaking out. After a while of not using it, I think this isn't a cause for breakouts either but I do notice sticky consistancy can be an issue for me (such as heavy creams). So I have to remember to use this only for the required 5 minutes. I kind of doubt leaving it on longer would be a cause for my acne, but just to be safe. At least I still like it. Overall I still think this is a decent mask and great for sensitive skin that can't use harsher chemical exfoliants.

UPDATE: It does burn if you are using other intense ingredients such as Retin A. When I was using retin A it burned so I didn't use it, but I quit using retin A. Also if your barrier is compromised it will burn TOO much, so pay attention to that, it could be a sign that you have to make your routine gentler.

on 11/3/2014 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

pretty good for a light exfoliation.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

For the price point, this product does a great job of clearing skin of flakiness, dullness AND maintaining it that way for a good loooooooong time. It helps me get rid of my chin acne and with application twice a week, maintains the clear skin. It doesn't have strange, unpronounceable ingredients you find in other chemical peels and exfoliating masks. Smells like a tropical drink, is a clear gel that glides on nicely and washes off with some extra water. Never again will I use a harsh scrubby mask.