Maybelline New York Expert Eyes Duo - Lasting Lilac

No Image

3.7

on 6/7/2018 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I found this beautiful duo in a clearance bin for $1.50. There aren't a lot of purple eyeshadows on the market so I pick up all I can find and at this price it was a great deal. Sort of. The colors are beautiful and this gives a soft eye look. This are frosty shimmery shadows and go on very dry and powdery. They do kick up a bit of powder in the pan but I didn't have any trouble with fallout beneath my eyes during application. The application is not the best with this one. I tried using the sponge applicator that came in the kit which did not work well at all and barely left any color. Brushes were only slightly better. The best way I found was by using my finger but that is more difficult to apply where I wanted the color. The lightest shade is an icy light lavender and is a blue toned shade. The darker shade is more violet in color and has a beautiful blue duochrome looking tint in the pan, but it does not really translate to the eye at all. Both of these performed better applied wet (using a setting spray on the brush before application). These both blend in well, so well in fact that you can blend them completely away. This is called "Lasting Lilac". No, it doesn't last. It was a really pretty eye look when I finished building up the shadow. It did take several layers to build up the colors, but in 5 hours, it was all gone and you could not see any color at all. I don't know where it went, but it sure wasn't on my eye. I did reapply as I loved the eye look I got from it, but I should not have had to when it was only 5 hours in. I even used eye primer and a makeup setting spray and still it did not last. I am glad I did not pay full price for this. For the $1.50 it was fun to play with. Too bad the product is not even worth that much. Maybelline is hit and miss with their shadows and for me, usually a miss, but I still can't pass up a good deal. Glad I tried it and I love the look, but it isn't worth it. This will make a pretty nail polish though with the ground up powders so it isn't a total loss.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I've always loved purple eyeshadow. This is a good value, it lasts forever in the container, and my eyeshadow has lasted me 2 years. Pretty color, if you don't have brushes, the applicators work well, and the color lasts awhile on your eyelids. Like it, not my favorite though.

on 7/13/2013 10:53:00 AM

This eyeshadow duo is my introduction into the purple eyeshadow territory. It is a cheap eyeshadow duo that has nice quality. The two colors are beautiful when blended together. This is a good inexpensive way to experiment with purple eyeshadows. Worth the money.

on 10/6/2012 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I didn't really own any decent purple eyeshadows. There are some in a couple of the 32 ELF palettes that I have, but those are duds--no pigmentation or payoff. I have been wanting to find some purples and looked all over the drugstore at different purple palettes and was having commitment issues. Finally I came across this Maybelline Expert Wear Duo in Lasting Lilac and decided to give it a try. I have had good luck with pretty much every Maybelline e/s that I've ever had and this seemed like a low risk investment to get me started with purples.
I would actually rate this at a 3.5. Both of the colors look very pretty in the pan, however the lighter of the lilacs is very frosty, but not terribly pigmented and comes off pretty chalky. I don't mind frost/shimmer, but this frost on the light lilac combined with the less-than-stellar formula is hard to work with and just isn't all that great. I've dabbed it in my inner corners and very lightly dabbed it in the center of my lid over the darker lilac in the duo, and it's worked all right for that purpose.
The darker lilac in this duo, however, is just stunning. I would actually call it a grape color because it looks like a very true purple in the pan. When swatched or applied to the lid it remains the rich grape color, but it has this bea-u-ti-ful blue-ish tone to it. It is very nearly a true blue duo chrome. I honestly have never seen anything like it. I dampened the sponge tip applicator that comes with it and applied it slightly wet to my eyelids and it intensified the blue tint even further and it was so pretty.
I had to resist packing a crapton of of that color on my eyelids and calling it a day--I loved it that much, but I came to my senses and contoured a matte brown in the crease and then dabbed the lighter lilac shimmer right over the middle of my eyelid--and that combo created a really pretty but wearable look. I think what I am going to do is pick up the Color Tattoo in the purple color and use it as a colored base (I just used the ELF primer underneath to begin with) for this duo and play around with it that way--I think that could create a very fun, vibrant purple eye look.
So overall the light lilac is just okay, but the darker purple is a rockstar in this duo.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Theeeeee very first eyeshadow I ever bought. Was a good one to start off my fanatic collection - ha. Two very wearable shades, the lighter a frosty, pearl-like lavender and the second a very blue-toned (almost duo chrome) medium violet. Have hit pan on the darker one - which is amazing for me. I will repurchase. In terms of quality, I find this to have great pigmentation and lasting power - I love that it does not fade! I've experienced no fallout, however the texture seems a bit hard, especially in the lighter shade, making it sometims hard to apply. But other than that, I love this duo and will repurchase.

on 7/2/2012 10:59:00 PM

This duo includes a light lavender/purple and a darker purple that is similar to MAC Stars n Rockets. I love this duo for when I want to do a look other than neutrals but don't want anything bold, since I believe purples are the perfect in-between. I put the lighter color on the lid and the darker on the outer part of my lid and in the crease. It was very inexpensive, it cost me about 4 dollars. The shadows can be a bit powdery with minimal fallout, but it's manageable. Pigmentation is decent, but I find they could be more pigmented; they are good quality for the price nevertheless!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This purple duo is not very pigmented but that is just fine with me because it gives a fun pop of color to a day time look without being an in your face purple eye look. Ive used it with UDPP and also with MK eye primer so I do not know how it wears without a primer. I used the light purple all over my lid with a vanilla color as a highlight and the darker purple all over my lid with other highlight shades. Between the two I like the darker purple much better and wish that side of the duo was bigger. The light purple is 2/3 of the duo..(ill post my pic) :-/ These duo shadows are just ok...if I can get them for dirt cheap then sure Ill buy them again but I much prefer their color tattoos over these any day. NC25

I love this duo! This is better then some of my more expensive makeup! very pigmented colors on both sides and they blend easy. If you are always looking for the best purple eye shadow you will love this duo

on 3/24/2011 12:48:00 PM

Really pretty purple shades here. The light purple shows up quite light and is mostly good as a highlighter, but the darker lilac shade is gorgeous and gives a nice bit of color without being too much. Builds easily with a brush but I find I get better coverage if I use primer first. Beautiful shade for spring/summer makeup!

on 7/7/2010 6:05:00 AM

They must have changed the formula because this eyeshadow is really pretty !! It really makes brown eye pop, which isn't easy to do. The darker purple color is the pretiest purple shadow ive ever seen, i don't even use the lighter color much. I would buy again if i ever run out.