81%

price range

Reviews

3.0

8 months ago

I’m saving up for a vintage of this, because it smelled so much better in the ‘80s when the juice was a rich yellow color, and the creamy, fleshy GARDENIA BOMB really let loose on skin! Current reformulated version is just “okay.” The first spray smells so promising— just like I remember— but it gets very thin and faint in a hurry’ and dries down to a tiny hint of artificial coconut. (I would probably like it better if I wasn’t comparing it to its earlier version in my mind.) Anyway, I could never stomach Sand & Sable and especially not Fracas, but Island Gardenia always felt pleasant and accessible to my nose for when I wanted a touch of old skool, flower-behind-the-ear, tropical glamour. There’s nothing funky or fetid about Island Gardenia, but it’s also not an aggressively “clean” or sharp scent. It’s a little slice of nature. Simple and elegant.

About reviewer (229 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Not Sure

HairRed, Other, Other

a year ago

Cheap; smells gorgeous on; I even love the retro-tacky bottle. Creamy, addictive gardenia! I just wish it would last more than 2 hours on me. And I only care because I really love it.

About reviewer (542 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive, Not Sure

HairBlack, Wavy, Medium

3 years ago

I love Jovan musk and White musk I'm old enough to remember the original Jovan musk. Anyway as a gardenia or white floral lover I had to try this as tiare flower is such a lovely scent that I adore. This is almost to me a spot on perfect gardenia perfume. It has that sun tan lotion vibe it's not super strong but with natural tiare flower oil I get a sun tan lotion scent. Anyway this smells so good and when it dries down it is so creamy and luscious a great skin scent. Plus this is so inexpensive! I think I paid no more than 10$ for a 1.7 ounce. So it's reasonable and it makes such a good spring/summer perfume. I love white floral with gardenia and Jasmine being my favorite. I think this on a hot summer night smells so good and it's great to layer it with other scents. For a reasonable price you get such a great scent.This makes me want to try more perfumes with gardenia as one of the notes. Excellent fragrance to try if you like white florals. I would definitely repurchase this because it smells so good and for the price you can't go wrong. Recommended. :)

About reviewer (912 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

EyesGreen

4 years ago

This reminds me so much of Chanel Beige! I did not buy the Les Exclusifs Chanel Gardenia becoz it's so $$$ & I heard its not even long lasting so when I stumbled upon a website w cheap hard-to-find fragrances (fragrancenet.com is the site!!), for less than $10 I had to indulge a blind buy! I love Jovan fragrances ESP Jovan Musk, Jovan Satisfaction & this all very different but nice! I don't buy from our kmarts, about only place round here that sells cheap perfumes coz they sit on the shelf for years literally some have a layer of dust on them!! Island Gardenia is a beachy coconutty concoction reminds me so much of my Maui Hawaii 2007 vakay! If u don't or won't want to trade ur cash 4 Chanel LesEx Gardenia (I have a real revulsion spending $200 on a tablespoon aka 15ml of Parfum!), this is an excellent site for finding hard-to-find DC fragrances & cheap too! I <3 gardenias!!

About reviewer (2417 reviews)

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

5 years ago

Gorgeous – and really does smell like an actual gardenia. I love that it’s buttery, lush and smooth smelling. My only criticism is that it only lasts about an hour. Everyone is right when they say there is some coconut in there which makes this have that beachy sunscreen vibe. This is perfect for summer and smells so clean.

About reviewer (147 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesBlue

5 years ago

I love this stuff! It's my daily go-to fragrance. I get compliments on it, and of course, adore that it's so affordable. Ironically, a close friend of mine smells divine in Sand & Sable, which smells awful on me. To each her own.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Coarse

EyesBlue

6 years ago

This stuff is a very nice gardenia/tuberose type of scent. Decently long-lasting, too. I have a bottle I've been using for maybe 5 or 6 years. However I just bought another bottle to give my mother as a gift (she goes nuts whenever I wear it). I tested the new bottle out of curiosity, and unless I'm crazy I swear it isn't quite as powerful or long-lasting as my older bottle. Still smells good though, and the price is right. Of course, if money is no object, just go buy a bottle of Fracas, which is quite similar but even creamier and with a slightly greener note to it. Just gorgeous.

About reviewer (76 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

6 years ago

LOVE this stuff! It smells absolutely heavenly. - A lot of perfumes give me headaches or make me feel sick to wear, not this one! It's so feminine and lovely. While I see most reviews on this are positive, occasionally I'll see someone say it smells "old ladyish". Haha, I'm 27 so I don't believe that qualifies me as an old lady! ;) I think it smells classy, feminine and sexy. That being said, I'm very much into vintage old fashioned beauties (Think pin up girls, Marilyn Monroe, etc.) and there is something about this scent that evokes that sort of stunning bombshell ultra feminine beauty. So maybe it's just all in perception, I smell it and think classy beauties from the 1950's, someone else just smells an old lady! Haha! It could also be how it works with ones' body chemistry though, as well! If you're looking for a heavenly, super feminine gardenia scent, this is the one! For the price you just can't beat it!

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair

HairBrunette

7 years ago

So I bought this hoping it would smell like a creamy coconutty gardenia perfume as so many others have said, but I just could not smell the creaminess... A sort of monoï smelling perfume in my hopes. It smelled like an old woman; flowery, powdery, almost a little sour, not in a rancid way, just in a "red door" kind of way, at least to me. It really is a beautiful fragrance, just not what I was looking for, just not me. When I smell it, it reminds me classy old ladies with their puffy hair, pearl earrings, off white linen slacks, and butter yellow cardigan and shell. Will I buy it again, for myself? Probably not until Iam 75. On the other hand, I would consider buying this for a older lady family member/friend :)

About reviewer (5 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

8 years ago

I went to the store with the intention to buy Coty Sand & Sable. Sand & Sable was $30 and Island Gardenia $11. I tested both and and fell in love with both the price and the tropical richness of this gardenia scent. Worn with a light hand it is classically feminine. Looking forward to wearing it when the weather warms up.

About reviewer (635 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Neutral