Lucas' Papaw Ointment

Filtered by hair type : Straight
 Lucas' Papaw Ointment
Lucas' Papaw OintmentLucas Paw Paw OintmentLucas' Papaw Ointment

4.6

Ingredients: Carica Papaya 39mg/g (3.9) Fresh Fermented Fruit, Pharmaceutical Grade Petroleum Jelly and Wax, Gum Balsam Peru

on 2/16/2019 6:04:00 PM

Uhm why didnt i discover this magical oinment sooner!!?!
Ive tried every damn lip balm, chapstick, lip conditioner, lip oils under the sun and this is the best feeling, smelling, comfort level, price, packaging, ingredients and everything else ive ever tried in my life. I want to buy 5 backups so i have it everywhere i go. In the car, next to my bed, in my office and just tape one on my leg if i have to. I used to love the mac lip conditioner until i tried this. Its emollient but isnt as watery texture as vaseline. It feels silky and smooth on the lips with no sticky feeling. Feels like nothing on the lips until i rub my lips together, i get a slippery glide between the lips. Also, it adds shine but not in a super glossy way. This is so nice and moisterizing/comfortable, also doesnt have an offensive smell. Its so good on cuts and burns also. Its a godsend. Get yourself a tube or 3, thank me later!

This made it to my top 10 beauty essentials!

on 11/4/2018 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Love it!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This has become the only lip balm my lips will tolerate. I recently tried the Nivea Hydro Care and even the Nuxe Reve De Miel, and both of them had my lips peeling within a couple of days. I switch back to this and they're soft and smooth again in no time. It's witchcraft in a tube. And it now owns my ass so I will obviously be repurchasing for the rest of my life.

on 6/28/2017 7:47:00 PM

I admit that till today I'm extremely confused as to what I'm really supposed to be using this for. My cousin introduced it to me a couple of years ago. When I finally decided to get my hands on the smallest squeeze tube available, the first thing I tried was apply it to a small cut. After that, I tried it on my lips.

Seems quite like regular petroleum jelly or Vaseline to me, perhaps a little bit thicker and has a slight citrusy-scent (papaya, to be precise). Like how I use Vaseline, it does help soothe burns and cracked skin and if I had to choose between the two, they're both pretty much equal as I have no preference , and would use whichever is available at the time.

on 8/7/2016 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a really great lip balm at a very affordable price and it's become one of those rare staple products for me that end up accumulating in multiple tubes in each of my purses. As someone with very dry lips, I've found that most lip balms are really just a temporary salve (pun absolutely intended), good at providing a bit of temporary lubrication but often leaving my lips more dried out in the long-term. Lucas Papaw is different - with sustained use, it actually improves the condition of your lips. So no only is it moisturising but it's also nourishing. Plus there's the fact that it's not a fussy product nor is it crazy expensive - not everything has to be luxe, you know? Especially not lip balm.

Aesthetically, this product is also a win. It has a really beautiful finish to it. I'm not a lip gloss person but this is the perfect non gloss gloss. It makes your lips look full, pouty and slightly swollen in a post-makeout session way. It's also a great pre-lipstick primer (just slick it on while you're doing your skincare routine and voila, perfectly moisturised lips ten minutes later).

One caveat - this can potentially clog up the pores around the mouth because it is a very thick, emollient balm. Personally, it's not a problem for me and I don't find it unpleasant or overly greasy in texture. But if your skin is easily congested around that area, be mindful about not rubbing your hands around your mouth and spreading it all over your chin and upper lip area.

Bottom line : what are you waiting for....go out and buy this product! It comes in a tub, a large squeeze tube and a smaller squeeze tube with a slanted horizontal applicator. The latter is my preferred version as the applicator is super convenient and eliminates the need to get your fingers greasy.

One last thing - be aware that the formula contains petroleum jelly as well as the fermented papaw fruit so it's not totally organic if that's something you really care about. Personally, I think it's worthwhile noting that petroleum jelly is unmatched as an occlusive (i.e it acts as a barrier, sealing in moisture and protecting your skin from the elements). If you have chapped lips, it's essential to use a balm which is occlusive and not just hydrating/emollient. Petroleum jelly works perfectly for that purpose so I have zero issues with its inclusion as an ingredient.

on 8/31/2015 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

this is an australian staple. pretty much every australian person has a tube or a tub of this. i take it everywhere. not only is it an excellent lip balm, it's a soothing antibacterial ointment and is also great for its intended purpose - treating surface wounds and irritations. i've used it for:
- helping tattoos heal
- soothing and moisturising minor burns
- calming irritation around my nose from the constant nose-blowing that comes with colds

basically, it's a necessity in my life and i will always repurchase.

on 8/24/2015 11:35:00 PM

I had been using this for years... until my dermatologist told me that this is basically glorified Vaseline. I didn't want to believe it. He told me he had the contents of Lucas Paw Paw examined in a lab after a patient had a horrific allergic reaction... Lucas Paw Paw is basically petroleum (Vaseline), a small percentage of paw paw, and Balsam of Peru (as stated on the website), beeswax and other ingredients - I find it very misleading that they don't state the ingredients on the packaging, how deceiving.

Did you know that Balsam of Peru even in minute quantities... when used over an extensive period of time can trigger contact dermatitis? And eczema around the lips? Which may lead to perioral dermatitis which is very hard to treat once a secondary infection occurs? Which is highly likely as lips are exposed every day! Balsam of Peru is an irritant. I learnt that the hard way. Why did you think I ended up in the dermatologist's office in the first place?

A year ago, I would have given this 5 stars without a doubt. I would apply it on my mosquito bites, any minor rashes, patches of eczema on my hands, unknown scratches, even as a cuticle cream! Nowadays, I keep it far away from my face. I'll use it up by applying it to my feet and applying socks at night! It keeps them very soft and nourished.

I will not repurchase again, sadly. There were some seriously found memories with this product but sayonara.

on 8/19/2015 11:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I've reviewed Paw Paw in other listings here so I've copied and pasted my review here.

It really is a cure all. I first learned about Paw Paw while working in the camping industry. My friends from Australia would always have it and whenever anyone had a cut or rash they would lend us some Paw Paw for it. It would clear it up in a few days for the more severe reactions. For bug bites and minor scratches it would work immediately. Itching would stop right away and blisters and bites would clear up within a day.

As a lip balm- it's great for severely dry lips, blisters and cuts. It soothes them immediately. Just beware that since it doesn't have SPF you may be prone to burning in the sun. Other than this, there really isn't any drawback to it.

Once, I was backpacking in Europe and got an awful blister on my foot. It was really really painful. Luckily, I was in a hostel room with some Aussie's so I sucked it up and asked if they had any Paw-Paw on them. Of course they did. They never go anywhere without it. When they saw my blister they lent me their extra tube for the rest of my trip! It cleared it up in about three days and I kept using it to keep from developing any more blisters. Best backpacking hookup ever!

For a while I had my friends send me Paw Paw or I'd order it in on Ebay. Now, I'm really grateful it's sold in the states (albeit at a markup) so I can have it all the time. I literally never leave home without it. It's in every purse, bag, drawer I have (in various sizes). I've turned my sister onto it too and she keeps it close by for my nephews bug bites and her own occasional bites and hives. I've even used it in my hair once or twice for the annoying fly away when I ran out of hair oil. If you can't Paw Paw it- then you are in trouble.

I'm pretty sure every family in Australia has a tube or tub of this tbh, it's actually part of our culture by this point. There is always a tub in the bathroom cabinet, a tube at the bottom of a school bag and at least 2 tubes half melted in the car. I always buy different lip balms just to try something new and I've always come back to this. An amazing product that works so well and incredibly quickly. I grew up with this product being slathered on my face from my dummy rash and i reckon I could recognise the smell and the packaging from the next continent.

Anyway, the pricing is good, the tube packaging is the best in my opinion, idk the tub just gets awkward and unless you're leaving it one place for it's whole life it'll just piss you off. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone with not just chapped lips, but every other problematic skin disorder (probs not all but you know what i mean). I can't rave about this lip balm enough, IT IS INCREDIBLE

on 2/2/2015 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

So.. it's basically Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream without the nasty smell or the colour (or the price...).. The consistency is similar to most petroleum products, with a slightly milky smell thatís not at all unpleasant.

I primarily use this on my very chapped lips and sores in the corner of my lips. When exfoliating my lips, I use a disposable mascara wand (you can buy them in bulk on eBay) with the papaw ointment and it always works a treat. It seals in moisture while the papaw banishes annoying irritated, chapped skin. I also use this on my dry cuticles too, always does the trick.

It's super cheap too! I bought mine online for Ä5..what's not to love? I always carry this in my handbag now.

Popular Lip Treatments