Lucas' Papaw Ointment

Lucas' Papaw Ointment
Lucas' Papaw OintmentLucas Paw Paw OintmentLucas' Papaw Ointment

4.5

Ingredients: Carica Papaya 39mg/g (3.9) Fresh Fermented Fruit, Pharmaceutical Grade Petroleum Jelly and Wax, Gum Balsam Peru

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I tried this product as it was raved about on several sites like Into The Gloss. Hydrates and gives good results but Aquaphor does the same at a lower price point.

What concerns me is that the ointment contains Myroxylon perieire (MP), a relatively common allergen typically found in perfumes. It's also caused cheilitis and perioral dermatitis in a few people.

I'd recommend sticking to Aquaphor instead!

on 8/24/2015 11:35:00 PM

I had been using this for years... until my dermatologist told me that this is basically glorified Vaseline. I didn't want to believe it. He told me he had the contents of Lucas Paw Paw examined in a lab after a patient had a horrific allergic reaction... Lucas Paw Paw is basically petroleum (Vaseline), a small percentage of paw paw, and Balsam of Peru (as stated on the website), beeswax and other ingredients - I find it very misleading that they don't state the ingredients on the packaging, how deceiving.

Did you know that Balsam of Peru even in minute quantities... when used over an extensive period of time can trigger contact dermatitis? And eczema around the lips? Which may lead to perioral dermatitis which is very hard to treat once a secondary infection occurs? Which is highly likely as lips are exposed every day! Balsam of Peru is an irritant. I learnt that the hard way. Why did you think I ended up in the dermatologist's office in the first place?

A year ago, I would have given this 5 stars without a doubt. I would apply it on my mosquito bites, any minor rashes, patches of eczema on my hands, unknown scratches, even as a cuticle cream! Nowadays, I keep it far away from my face. I'll use it up by applying it to my feet and applying socks at night! It keeps them very soft and nourished.

I will not repurchase again, sadly. There were some seriously found memories with this product but sayonara.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really wanted to like this product as it is so unpretentious and natural, but it just makes my lips raw and sore, long-term.
If you have a date coming up where you want super soft, kissable lips, this is definitely the product for you, but the second you stop using it obsessively your lips just go into dryness overdrive, as if it actually causes your lips to forget how to self-moisturise.

on 11/24/2012 4:28:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

Look up the ingredients for yourself as they are not stated on the package. You may as well be using plain old vasaline as it will have the same effects. I got a tube because others had loved the stuff but it just stays a greasy coat on top of your lips and feels awful. So many better and natural lup treatments out there. Go looking. Avoid this, besides for what it is, it is expensive.

What is the point to this "cult" product.
Your fingers end up sticky, it doesnt magically heal things, fluff sticks to it in your handbag, it doesn't even smell nice or have SPF.

on 9/17/2011 8:57:00 PM

This is an overrated product. I purchased it because I have seen so many people using it and thought it must be good. But it basically feels like Vaseline on my lips with little to no benefit.

In fact, this prooduct caused my lips to crack and it took weeks to restore them.

It doesn't contain any sun protection and is basically oil, so itsn't it like frying your lips in the sun??

on 7/18/2010 6:00:00 AM

I just moved to Australia and noticed EVERYONE here has this, so naturally i went to the pharmacy to get some. I dont get the hype for this product, it didnt really do anything for my lips. but at the pharmacy i tried the QV lip balm which has spf 30+ as well and that works much better for my chapped lips, plus having the extra spf is a must here in oz.

on 4/21/2010 5:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

THIS IS NOT PURE PAWPAW OINTMENT!!
Urgh. It is Petroleum based people. They don't have to list it in the ingredients because the petroleum is a base and not an "active ingredient" - please don't be fooled into ordering this international people! so not worth it!!!

i am australian. i know this is some kindof australian cult product, but it ain't all that really.
this is vaseline pretty much, with pawpaw added.
i don't buy the hype on this - it is a petroleum produt, so I am not going to revere it.
i use it to keep my feet soft - it works not any differently to regular vaseline.
they do not publish the ingredients directly on the container i have - seems suss to me.
anyway its fine when used like vaseline.
don't expect it to do wonders for your face if you can't handle petroleum or if you get milia. in fact i would say don't put it on your face at all. but i know some do.
a mediocre product at a low price. pretty good.

i won't buy again.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I thought this product sounded amazing and natural but I'm alergic to it! I'm not sure what the ingredient is which I'm alergic to exactly as I am not alergic to papaya or petroleum but this stuff made my lips double in size, turn bright red and it gave me all these tiny blisters all over my lips! I've never had that reaction to anything before and I don't have sensitive skin/lips. HORRIBLE (for me)!

on 7/8/2015 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

Lucas' Papaw Ointment was such an anti-climax for my lips. Was I really using the same product that has been raved about? It is glorified petroleum jelly. I might as well have bought Vaseline for a fraction of the cost. Initially when I put some on my lips are moist and faintly tingly but not so long after they are dried out worse than before. Chronic application temporarily "solves" this.

The ointment has proven to perform better on the hands. It softens and protects working hands.

Popular Lip Treatments